Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 17:07   #1

Boat: Niagara 35
Urgent: Titan RIB valves error?

I think I may have screwed up and I have about an hour to figure it out:

I'm sealing our dinghy (Titan 310, PVC) with Inland Marine's internal dinghy sealant. I hope that extends the life a bit, and deals with a slow leak through a very pain in the ass patch by the towing bridal D-Ring. That may be a for another post, though...

I removed the valves to pour in the sealant. I was super surprised to find that they seemed to be threaded into fabric only. There was a crack as it released and started to turn, like breaking of a bond. Seemed to be the outer ring bonded to the outer fabric.

I was fully expecting some sort of plastic ring bonded to the backside of the fabric, but there was nothing. I didn't notice anything fall into the dinghy. I did this 3 times and never noticed a backing ring.

I poured in the sealant and screwed the valves back in. Needless to say, they're leaking badly. I have 4 hours for the sealant to cure, of which 2 have gone by. I'm rolling it around from time to time and have heard nothing rolling around inside.

I figured I'd need to just seal around the outside and started researching. That's when I discovered that there usually is an inside ring and it isn't necessarily bonded to the inside of the dinghy.

So anybody have a clue if Titan RIBs had an inner ring?

Should I try to pull the valves and search for a backing ring before it gets glued to the inside of the dinghy with sealant? Or am I just completely screwed at this point? I don't really want to interrupt the sealing process if there never was an inner ring!

Advice welcome!
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 17:37   #2

Re: Urgent: Titan RIB valves error?

I've checked the valve type (HRC 690NSBV) and they're supposed to have a backing ring. No idea how I can't hear them taking around or see the shadow with a bright light
Old 12-05-2018, 18:19   #3

Re: Urgent: Titan RIB valves error?

Ok. I sucked it up, dug out the inside bits that were indeed loose inside the dinghy, and got them back on.

It wasn't super fun, but I feel much better now!

I'll leave this up as a lesson for others!

Tags
rib