Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

View Poll Results: how many times a year does your outboard stop working?
Never 79 57.25%
1 time a year 25 18.12%
2 times a year 15 10.87%
3 times a year 2 1.45%
4 or more times a year 17 12.32%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 14:25   #121
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Re: Unreliable Outboards

They won't help the ethanol issue, zee. I have a filter at the external tank and an inline filter.

Frank
__________________

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 19:29   #122
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,777
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Unreliable Outboards

dang.
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 21:35   #123
Registered User
 
bill good's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: sold
Posts: 721
Re: Unreliable Outboards

Electric outboards are the answer
__________________
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:01   #124
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Boat: Wharram custom 44'
Posts: 231
Re: Unreliable Outboards

My cat is powered by a 1999 Yamaha 50 HP four stroke. It was used to motor from CT to FL in 2002 and as an auxiliary on the way back. The following fall it was used on a trip down to Annapolis, then the boat was hauled nearby for some repairs and maintenance. The main tank is 65 gallons and the gas was found to be deteriorated, so the engine was run off a small day tank. The carbs had to be rebuilt due to bad gas stalling the engine. Over the next few years the engine would fail once or twice a year. After researching the ethanol fuel problem, the advice was to not mix ethanol gas with non-ethanol gas, that the mixture would gel. Also the ethanol problems would include corrosion of the alloy carb parts and clogging of the jets with corrosion byproducts. Now cleaning and rebuilding the 4 carbs is a quick job due to a lot of practice. Parts are not expensive. The motor stalled last week with new gas in the little tank. Right from the pump. I'm glad I was just out to get fuel for the boat and not the car. After reading the posts here I am going to add and inline filter to my fuel line.
__________________
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2011, 10:43   #125
Senior Cruiser
 
Lancerbye's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ladysmith,BC, Vancouver Island , Canada
Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Posts: 1,758
Images: 32
Re: Unreliable Outboards

I got a 1990 8HP BF4 Honda outboard, with my present boat, used for the tender. I do regular year end maintenance and also preseason checks, good midgrade fuel, no ethanol. Usually starts on the second pull. Have had it for 5 years now. It never fails me.
__________________
The basis of accomplishment is in never quitting
Mengzi Meng-tse
Lancerbye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 05:47   #126
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 5
Re: Unreliable Outboards

Be careful with AVGAS, it is designed for aviation piston engines, and the octane is higher than gas for autos. The higher octane may burn the rings out of the small outboard.TXMAN65
__________________
Txman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 05:57   #127
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Unreliable Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
My cat is powered by a 1999 Yamaha 50 HP four stroke. It was used to motor from CT to FL in 2002 and as an auxiliary on the way back. The following fall it was used on a trip down to Annapolis, then the boat was hauled nearby for some repairs and maintenance. The main tank is 65 gallons and the gas was found to be deteriorated, so the engine was run off a small day tank. The carbs had to be rebuilt due to bad gas stalling the engine. Over the next few years the engine would fail once or twice a year. After researching the ethanol fuel problem, the advice was to not mix ethanol gas with non-ethanol gas, that the mixture would gel. Also the ethanol problems would include corrosion of the alloy carb parts and clogging of the jets with corrosion byproducts. Now cleaning and rebuilding the 4 carbs is a quick job due to a lot of practice. Parts are not expensive. The motor stalled last week with new gas in the little tank. Right from the pump. I'm glad I was just out to get fuel for the boat and not the car. After reading the posts here I am going to add and inline filter to my fuel line.
DO NOT EVER USE ETHANOL-LACED FUEL IN AN OUTBOARD MOTOR. EVER.

Not even in an emergency. It's not quicker, and it's not cheaper, and it's not more convenient.

Also, you didn't mention it, but when you're done with the engine for the day, you MUST do twothings EVERY SINGLE TIME:

1) Run the engine for 10 - 15 minutes with fresh water. You do not want to leave salt water residue in your engine.

2) then instead of turning the engine off, disconnect the fuel line. You do NOT want to leave fuel (even the right fuel) in the engine.

That, plus NO ethanol EVER, will tremendously prolong the life of your outboard and tremendously increase its reliability.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:11   #128
Registered User
 
avb3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida/Alberta
Boat: Lippincott 30
Posts: 9,913
Images: 1
Re: Unreliable Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
DO NOT EVER USE ETHANOL-LACED FUEL IN AN OUTBOARD MOTOR. EVER.

Not even in an emergency. It's not quicker, and it's not cheaper, and it's not more convenient.
Nice thought, but in many places that is the ONLY fuel available. In fact, in Canada, it is federally mandated that there be 10% ethanol in all fuel.

Quote:
1) Run the engine for 10 - 15 minutes with fresh water. You do not want to leave salt water residue in your engine.
Not going to happen in most marinas and what about being at anchor or on a mooring ball? You better have one heck of a water maker!
__________________
If your attitude resembles the south end of a bull heading north, it's time to turn around.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2011, 10:48   #129
Registered User
 
knotnow's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 225
Re: Unreliable Outboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
DO NOT EVER USE ETHANOL-LACED FUEL IN AN OUTBOARD MOTOR. EVER.

Not even in an emergency. It's not quicker, and it's not cheaper, and it's not more convenient.
Good luck with that. In most areas in the US the mandate for posting whether they have ETHANOL in the fuel has long gone away. Go down to your local Briggs and Straton service center. They have a nifty little graduated vial that will show the Ethanol percentage. I think you'll be surprised. The feds have mandated an oxygenator be blended into the fuel. In years past a substitute for Ethanol was MTBE and that was shown to do bad things to the ground water. Which leaves us with Ethanol as the oxygenator of choice.

Many thanks EPA and Ethanol lobby.
__________________

__________________
PATRIOTISM is supporting your country all the time AND your Government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unreliable Wind Instruments gramos Construction, Maintenance & Refit 25 09-01-2012 11:12
Outboards ksmith Construction, Maintenance & Refit 5 07-11-2009 04:17
Flushing Outboards fla.sailor Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 1 29-07-2009 11:12
Electric Outboards Jackstee Multihull Sailboats 1 23-08-2008 10:44
Chinese outboards... bstreep Engines and Propulsion Systems 30 09-05-2008 10:21



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.