Zeehag, I'm sure I have the same "unfixable" problem as you, which, naturally, is why I want to fix it - I'm more stubborn than smart, and I have no concept
of proper personal time management.
So far I've gotten the seam pretty well cleaned up, tipped the dinghy up on its side and injected about a quart of ethanol into the hull
to dry/clean it; it runs right out the failed joint, of course, and is coming out nice and clear now. I've had a heat lamp on it all night and will attempt the repair today. I'll let you know how it goes.
Jedi, I wish I had your luck with hypalon repair. I lost
an oarlock on this boat
a number of years ago, went to the inflatable
repair place in Roadtown and got a new oarlock and their recommended two-part adhesive
, cleaned it all up with Toluene, followed the instructions to a "T" (as best as can be done in the hot Caribbean
sun) and the oarlock promptly fell off again a week later. I tried it one more time with the same result. I tried it with the bow handle that fell off; it lasted a little longer but now is half off (and all useless). The only repair that worked at all was to some torn lifeline patches, which lasted about a year. IMHO attaching hard plastic fittings to a flexible fabric
with glue is doomed to failure anyway; the Caribe oarlock design is just dumb.
Since the fiberglass
is in pretty good shape (provided I am successful at sealing the failed hull-deck joint) I am intrigued with the idea of a whole new inflatable structure (that presumably comes with new handles, lifelines
, oarlocks, etc) but I can't imagine it would cost much less than a new boat
. While it still holds air, there is really little life left in the existing hypalon.