Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2014, 06:32   #16
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Re: Tough to find a decent used outboard

I just came across a 9.5 foot Avon rib with a 15hp mariner 2 stroke for $2000. I was thinking buy the package and sell the dinghy.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 06:44   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
I just came across a 9.5 foot Avon rib with a 15hp mariner 2 stroke for $2000. I was thinking buy the package and sell the dinghy.
cpa... I was actually JUST returning to the thread to suggest looking for a rib with a motor... You'll make a great deal by selling the boat...

You beat me to it smartypants....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 06:50   #18
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
cpa... I was actually JUST returning to the thread to suggest looking for a rib with a motor... You'll make a great deal by selling the boat...

You beat me to it smartypants....
Lol I have looked at different two packages already. A Caribe with a Nissan 18hp and a West Marine PVC with an 8hp Nissan. In both cases the boats were junk and the motors were nearly junk. I looked at the Avon and Mariner and they actually ooked pretty good. I am thinking about it. Money is tight these days.
Old 28-03-2014, 07:03   #19

Boat: Hunter 27

I boat a 5hp mercury for $500 around a 2000 two stroke. Like brand new inside and out. I looked for two months on capitalist ebay looked at whole boats. I ended driving 1 1/2 hours to pick it up. It was of a freshwater inland lake kept in a garage. I looked at a bunch of old junk till I found this one. There are deals but you have to be patient and move fast when you find them.

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 07:39   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Someone should mention that one of the few brands worse than a Mercury is Mariner. Think Bayliner in terms of quality for comparison purposes. Many people actually like the Mercury E-tec engines.

How good is Yamaha? Until the owner died a few years ago, my coastal town in NC had a Suzuki dealership that sold more units than anyone else in the United States but if you look at the portion of my marina where the smaller outboard skiffs are located, over 90% are powered by Yamahas. Both of my Boston Whalers have 1990 Yamaha outboards that run like new and do not have significant corrosion despite being used in salt water their entire lives because they were well maintained and sprayed often with CRC. Hondas are great, but overpriced and a little heavy.

I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on a used outboard, and they are few and far between even though I travel between the Great Lakes and the Outer Banks. Last fall I bought a late 90's Yamaha 25 HP electric start tiller long shaft for $300 with a metal tank, it even had the original tool kit and everything looked new. The biggest issue encountered with older outboards is cleaning the carburetors, which you can do yourself or pay a mechanic a couple hundred dollars to do for you.

It is improbable that you will find an inflatable/outboard deal to cop a cheap outboard. I never see a deal like that, usually the inflatable is way overpriced also. However, it is possible to find a totally trashed old fresh water boat like a Dixie with a rotted floor or transom, with a decent outboard and trailer where the total price is less than the value of the outboard. I bought a bass boat last summer with a remote Yamaha 40 HP that was in mint condition (under the hood it looked absolutely new) for $550. I sold the trailer for $200 and cut the transom out of the 14' boat to increase the transom height of a vintage Boston Whaler 13 to fit a long shaft motor and then sold the motor for $950 after I decided to put a tiller motor on it.

Realize that small outboards don't burn very much fuel (figure 10% of the rated HP in gallons per hour at wide open throttle) so the advantages of a four stroke are minimal. The fuel system on the newer four strokes includes little tiny injectors that are easily clogged to maximize economy and are hard to maintain yourself compared to a simpler old two stroke engine. They will be much quieter, a lot heavier, have less performance (acceleration) and smoke less. Figure $2200 for a 9.9 Yamaha four stroke new. I sold a nice 1963 BW 13 with original mahogany seats and the aforementioned 25 HP Yammy for that much money with a trailer to the guy I bought my BW 19 from, he lives on the water and will probably use it every day for the next 20 years.

The issue of weight is significant, for example a 1990 Yamaha 40 HP weighs about 153 pounds and a new four stroke is 70 pounds heavier. When you hang this much weight difference on the transom of a small boat or dinghy it definitely affects the performance.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 09:35   #21

After reading these posts, I just want to add my 2c. Mariner is a Mercury product as was Force. I think. Also new Mercury small outboards are made by Tohatsu, as were the OMC 4 strokes. Mercury still makes it's big motors.

The smallest fuel injected motor I have seen is the 40 Honda. I am not sure they will put injectors in smaller motors. Again, this is information I picked up several years ago.

People say bad things about some of these cheaper motors, but I think it's a misunderstanding of how these things are used. The cheap ones are meant to be used hard and replaced often, while the expensive ones are supposed to last a long time with moderate use.

And people don't just get rid of good outboards. I mean a person buys one for a reason, there is no reason to sell it unless they have lost the boat. It's not like a car where people constantly upgrade. Generally people buy the motor and use it until it can't be used any more. But maybe that's just here.

Also, I have a large pallet stacked with motors in the 6-15 hp range. Also I have that FastTwin longshaft I know you have been dreaming about. Shipping runs about 5 C-notes, so send me a line if you want the blue screamer.
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 14:27   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

I have a Honda 9.9 longshaft with generator that I will let you have for 1 K. Just took it off my Compac, new owner had one already. It starts every time and generates merrily as I took my boat out of the harbor. Comes with fuel tank and cover. Impeller less than 10 hours. U pay freight from SLC.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2014, 21:00   #23
cpa

I have had a few Mercury outboards never had any issues with them. I did have issues with the Nissan, Honda, and Yamaha outboards that I have owned.

To the best of my knowledge, Mariners were originally built by Yamaha and sold by Brunswick as a more reliable/durable option compared to their high performance Mercury line.

Force outboards were originally re-badged Chryslers. When Brunswick purchased Bayliner, I believe they upgraded them a little and sold them as a low cost option to their other brands.
Old 29-03-2014, 06:08   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

I know you got your heart set on a mid teens OB... But this guy seems to be OK with this electric powering more than your tender ... I'll ask package price if you're interested...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	picnic launch.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	78309  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 06:54   #25

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

A good source for those is Florida is, Small Used Outboard Motors For Sale - Mercury Outboards Johnson
Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 10:45   #26

Boat: 40 FT STEEL CRUISER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
I have been looking around and think I might have to buy new. I am looking for an 8-15 hp short shaft. This is what I have seen in my few week search:

15 year old bigger 2 stroke outboards with huge corrosion issues for $2k

a "great running" 13 year old Nissan that wont stay running for $800

Multiple 2000-2002 2 hp Honda's that are priced a hundred more than I paid for a one new in 2003.

LOL. Maybe it is just here in Florida.
Well, whatever you do DO NOT BUY A MERCURY IN ANTIGUA & BARBUDA, as the local agent is beyond useless.
While I was laying fraud charges against their "employee", for misrepresentation and theft of private property, involving a no obligation quote..... that cost $300!!, my cellphone rang and the Yamaha man told me that my stunning new Yamaha on order, was on the way to Jolly Harbour, pre delivery service done and dusted..all in 24 hours. Two techs fitted it for me and truthfully answered all my questions. MORE REASON WHY I WILL ONLY BUY YAMAHA AND NEVER TOUCH MERCURY RUBBISH AGAIN.
Why reputable companies like Boston Whaler have these swindlers as their agent in Antigua, is totally beyond me.
yacht.libertad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 11:01   #27

You guys have it tough down there. A quik search of Seattle Craigslist revealed:
Honda 10hp $650
04 Yamaha 8hp $750
Nissan 8 $825
Aluminum boat, trailer and 15HP Suzuki $1400
8hp Johnson $450
Yamaha 9.9 eletric $1350
Yamaha 8 hp $700
Honda 7.5 $650
Merc 15 $1250
05 Yamaha Hi thrust 9.9 $1500
Evinrude 6 $525
Johnson 4.5 $300
2009 4hp merc $900
07 Merc 5 $850
Evinrude 9.9 $500
Yamaha 15 $375

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2014, 17:41   #28

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
I know you got your heart set on a mid teens OB... But this guy seems to be OK with this electric powering more than your tender ... I'll ask package price if you're interested...
I love it MD!! That's a great errr botable? To bad all the motor boats on my lake would blow right past and their wake would just flip ya as they did one year to me. All I wanted to do was to enjoy the fourth of July fireworks on my canoe..... I only got maybe 250 feet from shore and around the corner then one on each side close to me and over I went.

wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard