Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2018, 00:52   #1

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Torqueedo

I am planning to build or buy a new outboard since mine died , I have been looking to the torqueedo website and I saw the specs of their 3 ho out board to be :
Travel 1003
Input power in watts 1000
Propulsive power in watts 480
Comparable petrol outboards (propulsive power) 3 HP

My tohatsu 2.5 has 1800 watt of power and torque do has 1000 on the motor and 480 on prop , is there a marketing lie ?
When I was planning to convert my outboard to electric I thought I will need 2 KW motor .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 01:09   #2

Boat: MacGregor 26
Re: Torqueedo

I can’t speak in specifics but I was shocked how quickly my uncle’s torqueedo drained its detachable battery. 26’ boat, moving it half a mile in calm wind and no current took about 30% charge
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 01:14   #3

It depends on the efficiency of the Tohatsu prop. The shaft power of 1800 watts does not include propeller losses. If the prop is 25% efficient the propulsion power will be equivalent to the Torqueedo which has a prop efficiency of around 50%.

Good luck trying to find out the efficiency of the Tohatsu prop. Without the prop efficiency the shaft power doesn't tell you much.

Torqeedo is one of the few manufacturers who gives you the overall efficiency.Thanks.
sstuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 11:35   #4

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat

Do yourself a favour and get a more reliable electric. Check out e-Propulsion.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 12:09   #5

None of them is reliable and all of them are overpriced.

My question is about the specs .
Old 14-12-2018, 16:39   #6

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

I was planning on an electric, both brands mentioned above, was going to go e-propulsion mainly because of reduced noise. I was talking to a buddy - a retired BC Ferries Captain - and he asked me about range. He said: "Rick, if you get into an emergency situation and your outboard has to be used to either tow, or push your cruiser, how much range is an electric going to give you under strain." That sold me on a gas outboard.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 18:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I was planning on an electric, both brands mentioned above, was going to go e-propulsion mainly because of reduced noise. I was talking to a buddy - a retired BC Ferries Captain - and he asked me about range. He said: "Rick, if you get into an emergency situation and your outboard has to be used to either tow, or push your cruiser, how much range is an electric going to give you under strain." That sold me on a gas outboard.
That's why I have a scaling oar

Gas is better than electric but in my current situation new outboard will cost around 800 , but to convert mine to electric outboard and hydro generator will cost me only 200 with 3 KW motor or 100 with 1500 watt motor (without the battery ) so at this point I am.considerent that option .

Btw my outboard was bought in 2001 and gave me great service until now that died from neglation.
Old 14-12-2018, 21:39   #8

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

great service until now that died from neglation. At least it didn't die from neglect singularly, but met a plural death.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 00:24   #9
cruiser

IMHO, your dinghy should be able to function as a tugboat should the need arise.... and it will. An electric outboard equipped dinghy simply can’t perform that function.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 01:35   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
great service until now that died from neglation. At least it didn't die from neglect singularly, but met a plural death.
One of the funniest Grammar corrections I ever had heheehhe (sorry English is not my native language)

My boat is 3 tonnes fully loaded , so the dingy will be able to function as a tug boat if the need arise .

I plan to get a gas outboard later the next year , but now my current refit budget have blown off .
Old 19-12-2018, 03:30   #11
Marine Service Provider

I investigated the electric motor conundrum and bought a 3hp yamaha instead. I also have a small minnkota trolling motor. I dont think electric is there quite yet although i dearly would like to see it come of age. Even an easily driven dinghy like mine with a 3hp would not get very far with a torqueedo due to storage of power. I am sure they will progress but at present i can go further faster and a lot cheaper with a set of oars. Sure i can invest in huge batteries etc but it is really hard to justify for the return, and i consider myself a greeny. I already have a large lithium housebank and a 60 amp lithium for my minn kota but I'm not going with the torqeedo when i can get a good minn kota for 200 bucks. Sure torqeedo would go further and faster for the same power but my charging source is free from the sun so who cares. It will be a joyous day when we are there and i guess I should do more to support it along the way. I would be very interested to see more old outboard conversions to electric also as im not convinced the motor under the water is super reliable. Anecdotal evidence suggests that the motor above the water, although less efficient, would be more reliable.
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 03:58   #12

Thank you for the input .
The main advantage of outboard conversation will be the possibility to be used as hydro generator under sail with less drug than the main propeller.
Plus to avoid using the motor or paddle (scalling oar ) on calm and provide the dinghy with inexpensive way to move and no paddle.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:51   #13

Boat: Beneteau 423

Avoid Torqeedo like the plague. We have had a travel 1003 for just over a year now. A month ago it died out of the blue with an error code. Sent it in for repair to Brownies in Miami and had to pay for shipping ($90), they found some dead circuit board, replaced that and returned it under warranty, no refund on shipping. We managed to use it for one trip to sundowners on another boat nearby in the mooring field, and even got back to our boat after that. The next morning, different error code. Sent it in again, another $90 shipping charge. They found the same problem, another dead circuit board.

Repaired, returned. We tried to use it, and found the prop would hardly turn! We returned it again for repair. They found some discoloration on the winding body, and sent pictures to Torqeedo in Chigago. The response was "That is rust, it has water damage, we are not covering this unit under warranty". Supposedly it can only get water into it if the owner does some damage by hard grounding or getting fishing line wrapped around the shaft which then breaks the seal on the shaft. Brownies confirmed that on no occasion have they found a broken seal or any water in the motor. Both they and myself are scratching our heads.

Bottom line, don't buy Torqeedo, it is a flimsy product, and the manufacturer does not stand behind their product. And don't get me started on the flimsy little wire connections between the battery and the motor and controls. Absolute c#@p
Fred Taute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:07   #14

Location: Wherever the boat lies, USA coasts, Keys, Bahamas & Islands
Boat: Island Spirit 40' Cat

I use mine for short trips from mooring ball to marina and anchorage to shore. Light enough to stay attached to the dinghy on davits. My main work horse is a 84lbs 9.8hp Tohatsu. Too heavy for the davits to haul with the dinghy and time consuming lowering it with the crane. But it's a dream machine in the Bahamas to reach snorkel/dive blue holes.

Anyone of you kept the charging cable of your dead Torky? I'm looking to buy one for another project. Might even splurge for another battery.
Thanks.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:12   #15

Boat: Beneteau 423

Agree they are great when they work! As it happens, I made some noise on Facebook and Torqeedo customer service overrode their service department's decision, and they are shipping us a replacement shaft and motor! So we will have a functional Torqeedo again, hopefully. Until it also dies. Then I may have cables and batteries for sale, lol.
Fred Taute is offline   Reply With Quote