Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-05-2016, 11:10   #16

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: Torqeedo 1003 quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post

Buy a MinnKota saltwater electric outboard and you are money and performance ahead.
fyi: $3000 pLUS AT LEAST $1500 FOR THE BATTERY SYSTEM.

TORQEEDO: 3800 including the battery system

if you have the money, the battery won't count one way or another.

Old 30-05-2016, 11:50   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
fyi: $3000 pLUS AT LEAST $1500 FOR THE BATTERY SYSTEM.

TORQEEDO: 3800 including the battery system

if you have the money, the battery won't count one way or another.
I don't know where you got your pricing numbers but the minkota riptide 112lb unit is just a bit under 900. Which leaves you about 2900 to get a battery system to power the motor. A couple good 6 volt batteries (200 ah) are less than 300 bucks. Heck even a couple hundred ah of lithium are cheaper than the 2900 you have available. Minn Kota Riptide T/112

Old 31-05-2016, 07:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
I don't know where you got your pricing numbers but the minkota riptide 112lb unit is just a bit under 900. Which leaves you about 2900 to get a battery system to power the motor. A couple good 6 volt batteries (200 ah) are less than 300 bucks. Heck even a couple hundred ah of lithium are cheaper than the 2900 you have available. Minn Kota Riptide T/112
The riptide is a trolling motor. As such it is no comparison to either the 1003 or the bigger Torqeedos. It requires 12 volt heavy lead batteries which can only be discharged to 50% or they die. The riptide requires 36 volts so a couple of 6 volt batteries won't work.

And yes you can buy some put together lithium combination, but lithiums are dangerous without multiple electronic configurations to keep from over charging etc.

The thrust is way way different. The 1003 would blow it out of the water.

I understand that you have an axe to grind, but in any product on the market there will always be some that are defective. Everyone I know loves them. My own experience with Customer Service was exemplary. Of course if one buys it in the south seas and is far far away from any place to get service, then that's a different story.

As a marine service provider you should know this stuff, so I suspect that you sell Minn Kota, and don't sell Torqeedo.
Old 31-05-2016, 07:43   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
The riptide is a trolling motor. As such it is no comparison to either the 1003 or the bigger Torqeedos. It requires 12 volt heavy lead batteries which can only be discharged to 50% or they die. The riptide requires 36 volts so a couple of 6 volt batteries won't work.

And yes you can buy some put together lithium combination, but lithiums are dangerous without multiple electronic configurations to keep from over charging etc.

The thrust is way way different. The 1003 would blow it out of the water.

I understand that you have an axe to grind, but in any product on the market there will always be some that are defective. Everyone I know loves them. My own experience with Customer Service was exemplary. Of course if one buys it in the south seas and is far far away from any place to get service, then that's a different story.

As a marine service provider you should know this stuff, so I suspect that you sell Minn Kota, and don't sell Torqeedo.
Actully there are many boats around here happily using the riptide but I have yet to see one happy with the torqueedo . I am a shipwright I don't sell any products I repair boats and do work on real engines. The only time I use an electric motor is fishing on small lakes.
I suspect just from what you keep posting you are a torqeedo dealer yourself. If so you should fully disclose.
Old 27-06-2016, 09:44   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actully there are many boats around here happily using the riptide but I have yet to see one happy with the torqueedo . I am a shipwright I don't sell any products I repair boats and do work on real engines. The only time I use an electric motor is fishing on small lakes.
I suspect just from what you keep posting you are a torqeedo dealer yourself. If so you should fully disclose.
I am not a torqeedo dealer. I am a torqeedo owner who uses it on a 19 foot sailboat in a bay in northern Maine, USA, in a 3-4 knot tide.

I have no problems with the unit. It works great. However, when I need to go long distances, pulling a dinghy, against the wind and against the tide, I don't use my torqeedo. I use my 6 hp Tohatsu. I get about 2.5 hours at 3 knots on one battery. or about 40 minutes at 55 minutes at 4.2 knots.

While I can't speak for everyone, I have never met anyone who isn't a dealer of a competing product who doesn't just love their Torqeedo---as long as they are using it appropriately.
Old 27-06-2016, 21:32   #21

Boat: Bruckmann 50

I love mine as well. No dealer or affiliation. Just satisfied customer.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: