Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 12:26   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Torqeedo 1003 Error

Hello all,

We've loved using our 1003 Torqeedo Outboard during our Sail from Germany to where we currently are in French Polynesia. It's been amazing, no issues, no messing with fuel, etc.

Today I got back to the dock, turned it on and got an Error 42 message. Couldn't get it to start at all so got a tow back.

E42 seems to mean that the battery has got an incorrect voltage. No idea why. We've been charging it via 12v for over a year, haven't done anything different.

When I plug it in to charge now (either via 12v or using their official charger via the inverter) I get nothing. The red flashing light doesn't work anymore, just seems dead.

I'm pretty stuck now.

No idea how to get a replacement battery (if that is the issue?). You can't send faulty batteries back via DHL, etc. We'll be in Tahiti in a week or two which is about the biggest place we'll be in to maybe get a new battery ordered but before I try does anyone have any ideas?

I've emailed Torqeedo but haven't had a reply yet.

All the best,
Simon

www.sailing-interlude.com
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 18:10   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: Torqeedo 1003 Error

I'm sorry to hear of your Torqeedo problems. We have had the same issues with our Torqeedo experiences. We have one like yours and a 2.0 24 volt motor as well and both have had their problems. I don't think the salt marine environment is good for these motors in that a lot of their components are not protected nor robust in construction. I'm not conviced that they are superior to much cheaper electric outboards with simpler designs. Good luck in your search for support where you are.

Check for corrosion where all connections meet.

kind regards,
Old 25-05-2015, 10:36   #3

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure it's corrosion. We've always kept it clean, etc.

Problem seems to be with the battery. When I plug it in to charge I get a few quick flashes and then nothing. Maybe something in there as rusted. Ugh. Such a shame as we've loved using this outboard. We have travelled about 15,000 miles since buying it so I know we've put it under a stress compared to most using it every day for 18 months.

I've had quotes of shipping a new battery out to us in Tahiti. The cost of the postage is $400. :/ We're pretty much stuck now as there's nowhere to service it here. And we can't ship it as DHL, etc, won't allow you to post large batteries.

I think we might end up limping to Tahiti and buying a small 2.5HP engine and throwing our electric one away sadly. Would lost way less than buying a new battery out here.

Regards,
Simon

Old 25-05-2015, 12:58   #4

Aloha Simon,
Our battery has showed the same signs. Our electronically inclined club members have considered wiring in a homemade replacement but no one wants to order a new battery pack as they are extremely expensive and as you say they must be shipped from somewhere else. Our initial problems started very similar to yours.
It is a handy little thing and easy to move from place to place. We've used it to power our International Folkboat on and off a mooring and up a small river.
Good luck in your choice of outboard.
Old 25-05-2015, 13:14   #5

Hi,

Did you contact Torqeedo? What did they say?

I haven't heard back from them yet.

Such a shame it's gone. No idea if there's a way to fix it. The help guide does say to 'let the battery dissipate' no idea what that means?

Please visit my blog:

Old 25-05-2015, 19:50   #6

I did not contact Torqeedo personally. I only have secondhand information about the cost of a new battery which I understood to be about $400 USD.
Old 25-05-2015, 21:03   #7
Eternal Member

We rebuilt a Torqueedo in my workshop last year. Had similar problems. The issue was really flimsy wiring and corrosion.

I wouldn't throw yours away before you disassemble it and have a really close look at the wiring and check all connections/switches, etc.

No need to assume it's the battery unless you've checked everything else and/or tested the battery independently.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 10:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
We rebuilt a Torqueedo in my workshop last year. Had similar problems. The issue was really flimsy wiring and corrosion.

I wouldn't throw yours away before you disassemble it and have a really close look at the wiring and check all connections/switches, etc.

No need to assume it's the battery unless you've checked everything else and/or tested the battery independently.

Bill
Thanks Bill for saying it better than I did.
Old 14-12-2016, 07:47   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Just diagnosed the same issue on our 1003 and fixed it.

Started like this after about 2 years in saltwater environment

Error 33 - wiggle the cable from motor to battery at the battery connector or disconnect and reconnect. that made it work for a while.
Then I had to clean the contacts with contact spray to make it work. Apparently Torqueedo recommends WD40 for protection the contacts. I have not tried that yet.
Then - We could not make the Error 33 go way anymore. I checked the contacts under a magnifying glass and cleaned as much as I could with a dentist tool. No luck.

Because we wiggled the plug so often, I suspected we may have broken a cable. I checked the conductivity from the plug pins directly to the motor - that was fine.

So finally I took a small drill bit between my fingers (no power tool) and drilled away the front area on the plug plastic at the battery connector to the motor. There are 4 large battery contacts and 4 small communications contacts. The small ones were giving the problems.

After finger-drilling away the plastic at the small contacts, I took a small dentist tool (a small sewing needs will work too) and gently but firmly press it between the plastic and the tube-shaped contact metal to bend it slightly inwards.

Reassemble and test - Damn ERROR 42 - Wrong battery voltage. Measured everything, even each cell level voltage on the board at the balancing resistors. All was fine. Then on another forum I found one person who had traced this error to blown fuses. There are two 25A automotive-style (but 80V) blade fuses on the battery circuit board. Yep - they were blown. I don't remember shorting anything, but what the heck. I tried standard 15A (that is all I had) automotive 12V fuses.

And all is fine. Just have to get the proper 25A fuses now. I will stay with the 12V ones for now, as I am away from good supplies.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2016, 07:43   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

try cleaning connections. if that fails see an electronix expert.
once cleaned mine was awesome until a cretin dismantled it. seems that permanently screws it up.
btw--the manual mentions this.... i read it over once or twice.. mebbe because i am female the manual is more important--we all know men donot read manuals nor road maps.
you may need to invest in a few bottles of the electrical connection cleaner they recommend. oops that means reading manual...
happy christmas.
i hope you get your motor running in short order.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 06:16   #11

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Still having problems with the Torqeedo.

I now believe that is is not a problem with the contacts. It may have been initially, but not anymore.

Symptoms.
1 Put system together.
2. Switch system on.
3. Turn throttle. Most times the motor will start (80%).
4. Turn throttle to stop and start again, same or opposite direction. 80% of the time I get an error, occasionally the motor will start again. Most times E30, sometimes E33, very occasionally E6.
4. Switch system off, wait 10 seconds.
5. Goto step 2 and repeat forever
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote