Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2015, 13:33   #31

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Re: Tohatsu 5 2-stroke VS Tohatsu 6 4-stroke

Run a two stroke in a spackle bucket (5 gal) for ten minutes ...surprisingly dirty .... two strokes are a bit lighter but under 6hp no 4 strokes have oil filters so you drop out a pint of oil once a year or so and move on. The fuel economy is worth having a 4 stroke.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 14:54   #32

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Just for perspective on the 4 stroke side my 6hp Nissan 4 stroke burns approximately .5 gallons per hour at wide open throttle. I have a 3 gallon tank and it lasts me about 6 hours.

Not sure how that compares with 2 strokes if anyone has info on an equivelant 2 stroke and wants to share.
It was like diesel vs petrol with a rule of thumb that a 2 stroke uses about 30% more fuel. I think this may be better these days for two strokes as my 5hp Yamaha (2st) burns about the same rate of fuel that you quote. Of course this isn't allowing for the type of craft or load being pushed. My motor usually powers a 10 foot aluminium dinghy that planes up to about 130 kg load at full power or above that load weight runs at about 4 knots displacement at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 18:24   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
For that small an engine I'll take mixing two stroke to oil changes and weight any day. Two strokes have more torque than 4 strokes which equals better hole shots. Single cylinder 4 strokes fire once every 720 degrees which equals lumpy running and vibration. I have an internal and external tank and treat the internal as reserve capacity. Rarely use the motor without the external tank.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
For a pusher motor the 4 stroke is best. For a dinghy I think the two stroke wins, given the choice.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
You kinda contradict yourself there...but I can tell you as a motorcycle mechanic in another life, 4 stroke develop more low end torque than a 2 stroke. 2 strokes are lighter and also wear out faster.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 19:16   #34

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You kinda contradict yourself there...but I can tell you as a motorcycle mechanic in another life, 4 stroke develop more low end torque than a 2 stroke. 2 strokes are lighter and also wear out faster.
Negatory, imo.

You pop a boat out on the plane at higher rpm. 2 strokes are well known for better hole shots in big hp sizes.

That's why a four stroke for a pusher. Lower rpm pushing more weight on a displacement boat, less fume, less fuel used.

Regarding lifespan, I recently sold off a Yamaha 5 hp of the same design as my new one. After 35 years it finally gave up the ghost with corrosion punching a hole through the water jacket. Aside from being cantankerous to start and having a bit of a flat spot mid range, it ran as well as it's identical replacement. I obviously hadn't owned it for 35 years but I'm reasonably sure it didn't spend it's life sitting in a shed. If I can get that life out of the new one I won't be complaining.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote