Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2010, 10:12   #1
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Things that Go Bump in the Night

I've found a few methods of keeping the dinghy from banging into the back of the boat I thought I'd share. In areas where there's a strong tide flush I have a mini drougue I toss off the back of the dinghy that does a pretty good job. Recently in our tideless current location I tried something that has worked well. I hung a piece of shock cord from the carbiner snap of the davit and ran it to the bow of the dinghy under some tension. Its worked wonders. I haven't heard a sound out of the dinghy at all. At one time I tried. The same thing with a piece of line, big mistake. While in the tortugas a wicked storm came in and people were dragging all over the anchorage. We pulled anchor and hitailed ot out of the anchorage to open water, well the dinghy swamped, the stern dipped , raised and tore the dinghy up bad, luckily leaving the davits intact. With the shock cord if I move it stretches till the painters take over and seems to make it ride better.
Any other tricks for dinghy control you'd like to share?
Steve
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 10:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I have never used davits...I have them but haven't finished rigging them.
I figured I'd just use them to lift it in the night...is that not the norm.
Before...we used the spinnaker pole to put the dink on the fore deck at night...
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2010, 11:58   #3
cruiser

I haul my dinghy upside down so its often left tied to the stern unless were heading out to open water. . Unless you raise it every time you use it you'll still find that it pays to have an easy way to keep it from ramming you.
Old 18-02-2010, 20:31   #4

Boat: CS 36t
In calmer anchorages, it is common to haul the dinghy on the davits so that it is just clear of the water. This has the added benefit of allowing you to pull the plug if it is raining.

Another method that I have used a lot for boats without davits is to "hip" the dinghy. This involves hauling the dinghy up the side of the hull using either dedicated dinghy falls or a halyard. As the dinghy comes up the side, you pull up the fenders with it to prevent scratches. Once the dinghy rail is just below the rail of your boat, you tie off the bow and stern line nice and tight to keep it from moving around.

Another method that I have seen used is making a spinnaker pole into a boat boom. This means putting the pole out horizontally from the side of the boat with an outhaul on it to pull a dinghy to the end of it. Your spinnaker pole needs to stick out further than your dinghy is long. To me, this seems like a lot of rigging although using dedicated boat booms that are present on many larger vessels is quite easy.

The bungee cord sound like a good idea in your situation.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 08:56   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i live in a rough water area--i keep my dink behind my boat on a line-long one---and i keep fenders on the dink and some on the boat so the bumping doesnt bother the boat----always bothers the cat lol..he jumps every time....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 09:01   #6

Umm. You have davits. Why is the dinghy in the water overnight?

Zeehag: Please don't anchor with the dink on a long line. You'll lose it when I or a panga runs over the painter on a dark night.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2010, 19:24   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Umm. You have davits. Why is the dinghy in the water overnight?

Zeehag: Please don't anchor with the dink on a long line. You'll lose it when I or a panga runs over the painter on a dark night.
LOL---i have done my thing as it were for many years and never had a problem---when the wind blows hard the dink is long lined with a bright colored floatie on the line --is visible!! the snotties in my area--coronado--dont run over it and they are sightless...LOL--when i have a concern regarding the safety of my dink i side tie it or i am able to lift it with my main halyard LOL...i have a 41 ft ketch--i prefer not to use a motorized dink--i use a kayak or row a walker bay--it doesnt make noises on my boat unless a big storm is coming--if you decide to run over it, then there is a problem with excessive speed in an anchorage ..LOL and you get to find it or buy me another one!!!LOL.... my long line isnt that long--mebbe 3 times dink length.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 13:29   #8
cruiser

I've elaborated on the shock cord idea so I now have two with 3 strands of shock cord about 3' long with 2" rings on one end and snaps on the other. For offloading waterjugs laundry etc when its choppy and the wind and or tide is messing with you they work great for holding the dinghy in position. Also use them when tieing dinghy to seawall in a chop. With the anchor off stern to hold off seawall and painter tied slack it rises and falls without that jerk on the way down and anchor holds dinghy right there a foot off seawall.
Old 13-04-2010, 06:52   #9

Boat: Bayfield 40
Has anyone tried to move the forward lifting eye on there dinghy? We have a Caribe C-10 and the eye is on the aft wall of the forward locker. It would seem to hang more evenly with the dinghy centered on our davits if the lifting eye was on the forward end of the locker. As it is now the bow sticks out to port about two feet more than the stern to starboard.
dknowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2010, 06:58   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
the secret to making a ten-foot Caribe fit your davits is to have a fourteen-foot beam.

welcome to the Forum!
Old 13-04-2010, 18:36   #11
cruiser

When I bought my boat it had a 2" aluminum tube with eyes for the davit lines and others that lined up with attachments. Never used it as inflatable was shot.