Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 08:27   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
The Great Dinghy Question

Guys:

I will soon, please God, close on the purchase of a 48.5' cruising monohull which I intend to keep mostly in the Med, but which should get plenty of blue water work (maybe an ARC) besides hacking around Europe.

The boat's dink is knackered and I have to buy a new one. She's got massive (that is, hideously ugly) dinghy davits, electrically powered, with lifting capacity of 340kg (170kg per davit).

I would never (!) have put on such davits myself, but since they are there, maybe I should use them.

What would you guys do in my situation? The idea of a roomy, fast tender, maybe with a center console and wheel steering, is very appealing -- possible to explore over a much wider range in much greater comfort. On the other hand, all that weight and bulk hanging off the stern is not appealing, and what to do on passage?

Any tips? Comments? Specific recommendations?

Some of my ideas:

1. Buy a regular 10' - ish RIB with a 5hp motor, and forget about it;

2. Buy a 12' -- ish RIB with 15hp and a center console with wheel steering, enjoy the much greater range, speed and comfort, and let the electric davits deal with the downside;

3. Remove and sell the davits, buy a Port-A-Bote, stow this on the coachroof, keep a roll-up inflatable in the lazarette in case of rough conditions in the anchorage.

I'm sure there are many more ways to skin this particular cat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:42   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
10 ft dingy (Avon rib) with 9.9 hp
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:46   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
10 ft dingy (Avon rib) with 9.9 hp
Thanks! And what makes you prefer that to other options? Would you remove the davits?
Old 21-04-2009, 08:54   #4

Look at AcquaPro hypalon Alum RIB - much nice dink than a Avon. We've got a 10' and it is a great boat.

I had the davits too and if you have a big boat you can lift it with a halyard and stow it on the foredeck. You might even be able to deflate in and stow it below since it sounds like you bought a big boat.

I use a Garhauer demountable lifting davit which can a 15HP if you go that route. This way you don't have the hideous davits on your stern, but can use a decent sized motor and a dry fast planing RIB.

And get a small 3 HP as a spare which you can do with one hand!
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 08:55   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I had a 9ft Caribe with no floor. I sold it, and bought a 12ft.Caribe with floor, and locker for ground tackle. Both dinks have used the same motor a 15hp Mercury. If I was to do it all over again I would still get the 12ftr., but with no floor, and carry the ground tackle in a milk crate.

I would not get the counsel. It will deprive you of much needed room when you start to cruise, plus take away carrying capacity......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 09:09   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I guess it depends how bad the davits look....I like the convenience of having them.
In the med you'll be doing lots of coastal....that means lots of dingy-ing.

I'd keep the davits....Just went to a lot of trouble to install them on my boat for that very reason and cruising grounds.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:16   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Keep the davits unless they get in the way. Buy a 11-12' boat with a 9.9.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:30   #8

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
I've had an Avon RIB and a Portabote and now have a AB. I'd personally get a AB 10' aluminum RIB, it weighs around 123 lbs or so, can take a 15 HP engine. The ABs bow stand more proud than just about any other dingy so it tends to give a more dry ride. Then I'd get a 15HP Yamaha enduro which weighs I think around 70 lbs or so. The enduro is probably the single most used outboard in the world outside the US and is fairly bulletproof. It's used everywhere from Mexican fishing villages to the pirates in Somalia. You can then have a dingy which will get 3 adults up on a plane.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 11:24   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
schoonerdog's suggestion describes the majority of the dinghy/outboard rigs on yachts here in the eastern Caribbean. It's a tried and true combination. The Yamaha Enduro two stroke is the engine of choice for yacht owners and locals alike.
Old 21-04-2009, 11:30   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, guys! It's too bad you can't buy two-stroke outboards in the U.K., but maybe I can get one in Guernsey or somewhere. I'm a big fan of two strokes in weight-critical applications.

The Yamaha Enduro also seems to be the outboard of choice among Somali pirates! That's a good recommendation, I guess.
Old 21-04-2009, 13:27   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
I bet the pirates use whatever they steal. So the OB of choice among Yachtmen traversing the Somali coast is....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 14:09   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
With a davit system like that... Caribe C12 or even a C14 (go for hypalon and biggest tube diameter). For the C12 I would only add a 25 hp Enduro (electric start, you'll be sorry if you don't take that option...) but the C14 is big enough for the seat and console... also with 25 or 30 hp engine.

With these davits you can even get 4-stroke engines which are more reliable at 25hp and up.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 14:12   #13

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
I've had an Avon RIB and a Portabote and now have a AB. I'd personally get a AB 10' aluminum RIB, it weighs around 123 lbs or so, can take a 15 HP engine. The ABs bow stand more proud than just about any other dingy so it tends to give a more dry ride. Then I'd get a 15HP Yamaha enduro which weighs I think around 70 lbs or so. The enduro is probably the single most used outboard in the world outside the US and is fairly bulletproof. It's used everywhere from Mexican fishing villages to the pirates in Somalia. You can then have a dingy which will get 3 adults up on a plane.

What is an AB? Aluminum Boat?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 14:28   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
AB = brand, like Caribe. These two are the Caribbean favorites.

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 14:45   #15

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
AB = brand, like Caribe. These two are the Caribbean favorites.

cheers,
Nick.
Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote