Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2008, 04:07   #1

Boat: Dufour 425, Artemis
Tender - Zodiac?

Hi all,

I am looking at the following Zodiac as tender for Artemis, does anyone have any comments or has used this model? Am open to change if there are any recommendations for alternative tenders.

Cadet 285 S Grey

Product description:
Specifications

Dimensions:
Overall Length: 2.85m/9'4"
Inside Length: 1.95m/6'5"
Overall Width: 1.64m/5'5"
Inside Width: 0.70m/2'4"
Max. buoyancy tube diameter: 0.45m/1'6"

Capacity:
Passengers: 4 adults
Maximum payload: 400 kg / 881 lbs
Total weight: 39 kgs / 86 lbs
Airtight compartments: 2 +1

Design Category:
European directive N 94/25/CE D

Outboard Data:
Short Shaft
Minimum recommended power (hp): 4
Minimum recommended power (kW): 3
Maximum recommended power (hp): 6
Maximum recommended power (kW): 4,5
Maximum power allowed (hp): 8
Maximum power allowed (kW): 6
Maximum weight of outboard: 40 kg / 88 lbs
Maximum Speed: 28 km/h / 17 mph

Dimensions of the folded boat:
Length of the bag: 1.00 m / 3'3"
Width of the bag: 0.55m / 1'10"
Height of the bag: 0.30m / 1'

Equipment:

Hull:
Marine plywood floor
Inflatable keel
Aluminium engine support plate
2 aluminium stringers with built-in tie down rail
1 interior controlled self-bailer

Buoyancy tube:
Strongtan Duotex 2 x 1100 decitex fabric
Semi-recessed valves
Safety Straps
2 Oar rests
2 "safe clic" reclining oar supports
All round ribbed rubbing strake
Bow Handle
2 stainless steel towing rings
2 carrying handles
Reinforced cone ends

Regards

Niels
Shiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 04:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I'd consider a RIB, instead.
Oddly, this site advertises the larger (10'-2") CADET 310-S at a lower price.
285 @ $1799
310 @ $1599
Goto:
Offshore - 1-800-346-4141

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 04:37   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Before purchasing, I'd recommend that you look into how you can patch the tubes if you have a leak. With Hypalon, you can do the repairs yourself with a patch and two part adhesive. Some other materials require sending the dink to a professional for a heat-seal patch. I'm not familiar with the "Strongtan Duoplex" in your specs.

That's pretty heavy for it's size. Have you considered a high pressure inflatable floor design? Much lighter in weight.
Old 18-04-2008, 04:53   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I believe that "Strongtan Duoplex" = PVC (polyvinyl chloride)

Old 18-04-2008, 04:54   #5

Quote:
Buoyancy tube:
Strongtan Duotex 2 x 1100 decitex fabric
I'm also curious, is this a euphemism for PVC material? My own experience with a PVC dinghy is that they are fine when kept in a garage, but put them in saltwater and sun and they melt like butter. I think the general consensus is that Hypalon is well worth the extra cost.
Fishspearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 05:00   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've never owned a PVC dinghy, but know others who have. Fishspearit is right, the sun eventually causes the material to become sticky, and punctures are not repairable by the owner. Hypalon is a much superior material, in my opinion. And more expensive, I might add.
Old 18-04-2008, 09:18   #7
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I'd also recommend hypalon. They are much more durable and much less susceptible to UV rays than PVC. It is well worth the extra money as a hypalon boat will last MUCH longer.

For a smaller boat, inflatable floors are fantastic - light weight, easy storage below, no assembly, no wood to varnish and a surprisingly firm base. Make sure that whatever brand you purchase has a hypalon hulll AND airfloor (the earlier Avons, for example, used PVC air floors with hypalon hull tubes).

If you have the space/ability to store it properly when offshore, an RIB is, however, the way to go. The FRP (or in some cases now, plastic) hull will give better performance and much less susceptibility to damage from rocks/pebbles when beaching than a Hypalon inflatable keel/bottom.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 09:45   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
Go Hypalon, I have a PVC zodiac, 5 years old, been covered when used in tropical sun, and is now melting... also, do not go for the airfloor, there is a reason the warrenty on the floor is half that of the dinghy itself. My recommendation for what its worth is to buy a small light RIB, in the long run it will cost you less ane more durable
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 09:52   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 "Velera"
Dinghy

Having owned some of the PVC types (Decitex) and 3 of the Zodiacs I surely will never buy another one of them again. Each was bought with a commitement of "we have improved". Do not believe the "better than Hypalon" hype. This company produces crap. The oarlocks on Zodiacs (who also produces West Marine products) are total crap. Zodiac owns Avon now and I would be suspicious as to whether their poor quality has affected these once-respected manufacturer of Hypalon dinghies.

My next dinghy will be a Rib of Hypalon--Definitely not by Zodiac. I was a fool X3.

Just an opinion based the result of 20 years of ownership. I have a friend with an old Avon that has spent 20 summers in the sun. Looks great.
Castine, Maine
Pete the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 10:06   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I've had an Achilles air-floor, hypalon inflatable for 4 years of admittedly only seasonal use, and have had absolutely no problems with the air floor. Again, Achilles uses hypalon airfloors whereas, at least initially after Zodiac bought out Avon, their air floors were PVC.

If storage offshore is not an issue, then again, an RIB is the way to go.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2008, 23:36   #11

I had a Zodiac Fastroller 340 that I just traded in. Almost every time I used it I had a problem. I have an AB 9.5 AL on order for this season. Its a rib with an aluminum floor so its very light plus its made from hypalon. Check it out as an alternative if you don't need to roll it up.

Dan
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2008, 03:58   #12
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
The general consensus down here on this little island at 21.9 deg. N is that "Zodiacs" are not good boats for the tropics because the sun eats them. I suspect what the locals are really saying is that PVC inflatables break down in the UV, and they are generalizing by picking on the Zodiac brand. While the locals do not, for the most part, know the name of the material used, they do know their boats and what works.
Old 23-04-2008, 04:25   #13
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have the Achilles 9' inflatable floor with a 5 hp Tohatsu. It will plane with just me, and will carry four adults. I downsized from a larger dinghy and outboard in order to get a dinghy/motor combination that was more manageable from a weight and size standpoint.

No problems with the air floor, except when I dropped my machete on it. Psssssssssshhhhhhh...ffffft!!!!! Easy to patch, though!

Go with the Hypalon!
Old 23-04-2008, 04:38   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Like the earlier posters, I would NOT recommend a PVC inflatable, for use in the tropics, although they seem to fare much better in Northern latitudes.

I too, have owned 3 Zodiacs; the first purchased (in northern Canada), the subsequent 2 being Warranty replacements (in Florida).
Each of the replacements were touted a new & improved “Strongan” (PVC) fabric & glue. Neither stood up to the sun, for any appreciable time.

Old 23-04-2008, 06:02   #15

Boat: Morgan 323
Wanted to ask a question related to this thread. The new boat I bought came with a 1997 PVC 10ft Zodiac. Its in great condition and I have already used it many times as I need it to get out to my mooring before the tender service starts in May.

Because of the size of it and the fact that I don't have a truck or trailer, I leave it for the time being locked up to fence on a small beach right next to the dock with some other dingys. I leave it upside down but I am worried about the sun and the damage it may do to the underside of it. I am only going to store it there for another 20 days and then I will not need to use as frequently because of the launch service I will have. My question is should I be worried if I am leaving it there for such a short amount of time? And also is there any types of sprays or waxes that I could apply to protect it from the uv rays and weather.

Thanks
Nk235 is offline   Reply With Quote