Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-10-2016, 18:10   #16

Re: Suzuki DF15 / 20A owners HELP PLEASE!

My dealer got a response from Suzuki today(totally surprised me!!! )
he said he compared an engine they had to the sound of mine and it was the same.
he also said he has had this complaint before and that the noise seems to be the way it is with this series of motors.
he said I should send a video of the noise with the engine cover on so he can listen to that.
I can not hear enough on the youtube video to see if it sounds like mine at speed, but I know the noise when travelling at up to 2/3 throttle is a high pitched gear whine type noise that I find very annoying.
I guess that is why you should always test drive stuff.
one of the main reasons I bought this motor was that they were touted as one of the quietest outboards made, maybe with regards to exhaust noise they are but I would love to put a db meter near mine.
had I known about the noise and vibration I would have opted for a Honda.
live and learn!!!
I would still appreciate feedback from other owners who can remove their engine cover and compare their motor sounds to mine on the video as I will never know if Suzuki is telling the truth or not.

mtnbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 19:09   #17

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852
Re: Suzuki DF15 / 20A owners HELP PLEASE!

I have had mine (20hp) for about 3 or 4 years now. It's super quiet at idle but makes the noise at rpm you describe. It also suffers from vibration. I had the 20hp Honda previously and it was a smoother engine for sure. But I like the price, the weight, and the fuel economy of the Suzuki. I have had no problems with the motor and have grown accustomed to the noise and vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: