Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2013, 05:40   #1

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Suzuki 5-hp 2-stroke; what does the "adjuster" adjust?

I have a 1999 5-hp 2-stroke Johnson/OMC outboard, model J5REE, made in 11/1998 by (I think) Suzuki in Japan.

The carburetor has an "adjuster" on it that I haven't yet been able to identify... and I'm hoping somebody can give me a clue

The Johnson version of the exploded parts diagram is here, but the specific "adjuster" I'm trying to track -- entering the side of the float chamber -- isn't shown: 1999 J5REEC Evinrude / Johnson Johnson Outboard CARBURETOR Diagram and Parts

The counterpart Suzuki diagrams for their model DT5Y clearly show the "adjuster" as part #6 here: 1998 DT5Y Suzuki Marine Outboard CARBURETOR (DT5Y) Diagram and Parts

The Suzuki diagram for the DT4 carburetor even more clearly show the "adjuster" as parts # 6 and 7, here: 1999 DT4 Suzuki Marine Outboard CARBURETOR (DT4) Diagram and Parts

Even though the Johnson diagram doesn't illustrate the part, my Mark I eyeballs can clearly see it on my carburetor, so...

What the heck does it adjust? Looks like it'd be an air thing... but I thought I'd figured out the pilot air and fuel jets, main air and fuel jets...

Anybody got a hint?

-Chris
Old 19-11-2013, 06:26   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Suzuki 5-hp 2-stroke; what does the "adjuster" adjust?

It is the low speed or idle mixture adjustment screw.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:01   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
It is the low speed or idle mixture adjustment screw.

Hmmm... thanks... but I thought that was all controlled by:

- Pilot Air screw, parts # 4 & 5 on the JREE and DT5Y diagrams (and as on my motor), parts # 5 & 6 on the DT4 diagram.

- Pilot Jet, part #15 on the JREE and DT5Y diagrams (and as on my motor), parts #2 on the DT4 diagram.

Does this other "adjuster" on the float chamber somehow work in conjunction with those?

Or...?

-Chris
Old 19-11-2013, 07:38   #4

Boat: csy 37

the 'low speed' or 'idle' jet is what keeps the motor running when youve throttled all the way back to idle. when you're at idle, the main jet is not used.

you need to keep both clean and adjusted.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 08:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
the 'low speed' or 'idle' jet is what keeps the motor running when youve throttled all the way back to idle. when you're at idle, the main jet is not used.

you need to keep both clean and adjusted.

Yep, got that.

Since none of the diagrams identify an idle jet (fuel) or idle air adjustment -- but do identity main jet and air adjustments -- I've thought "pilot" jet and "pilot" air on the diagrams are the idle jet/air adjusters.

And adjusting pilot jet/air screws has indeed smoothed out the idle...

No?

-Chris
Old 19-11-2013, 08:48   #6

It appears to be a high speed jet mixture screw. Most modern outboards have a fixed high speed jet that is not adjustable but yours seems to have one. Try tweaking at wot to see what happens.
Old 20-11-2013, 04:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
It appears to be a high speed jet mixture screw. Most modern outboards have a fixed high speed jet that is not adjustable but yours seems to have one. Try tweaking at wot to see what happens.

Yeah... I've finished winterizing, so it'll have to wait for next year... but thought useful to figure it out as best I could beforehand

Parts # 16, 17, and 18 are the main jet and air... and they're not accessible when the carb is mounted in place. Do you think this other one somehow works in conjunction with those?

-Chris
Old 20-11-2013, 06:37   #8

If it is not a high speed mixture screw it may be just a float bowl drain.
Old 20-11-2013, 06:49   #9

It is in fact a float bowl drain screw
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 07:02   #10

I'd have thought maybe drain, too, except it's called an "adjuster" in the DT5Y diagram... it's higher on the float chamber than would actually drain it... and both the DT5Y and Johnson diagrams also include a drain bolt (part #11).

I haven't take it out yet -- its not the easiest thing in the free world to reach while in situ -- but the Suzuki diagrams do make it look like an air supply adjustment -- although I guess it could be fuel, since it's on the float chamber. (Not aware how that could work).

-Chris
Old 20-11-2013, 12:45   #11

i tried. i have the yamaha 2 stroke shop manual from that era. i've got a nissan 2.5, yahama 3, and tohatsu 3.5, and use the one manual to fix them all.

i couldn't find a similar carb among the low end engines. most of these small engines are made by one manufacturer and so are very similar. sorry i couldn't be of more help....
Old 20-11-2013, 12:50   #12

I've been reviewing the Johnson owner's manual with ya'lls input in mind... and your comments may be helping me interpret something a bit differently now.

The manual is of course relatively silent on carburetor adjustments. Hardly ever admits there is one. "Ask your dealer..."

That said, it does say high speed fuel calibration is maintained by the fixed high speed jet, and it's non-adjustable. Low speed is set at the factory but a range of adjustment is provided -- "ask your dealer" (to adjust) if the engine runs poorly at slow speeds or idle. Then a sentence about Idle Speed Adjustment is mentioned separately -- "ask your dealer" (to adjust) if the engine runs poorly at idle.

No hint about adjustment parts on the carburetor, no diagram... "Ask your dealer!" (Sheesh!)

Anyway, I had been assuming that high speed is one thing, and low speed/idle is another. IOW, a binary choice. Perhaps this is hinting there are three choices: high speed, low speed, and (separately) idle?

I had been assuming that the "Pilot Jet" and "Pilot Air" adjusters are for both slow speed and idle.

Is it possible this other adjuster thingy is for idle only? (An adjustment from the float chamber?) Or perhaps that "Pilot Jet/Air" is for idle and this other one is for slow speed adjustments?

???

I haven't been able to divine a manufacturer or model number from the carb itself; something might be visible if I dismount it from the engine, but I don't remember seeing anything useful the last time I did that...

-Chris
Old 20-11-2013, 13:54   #13

the plot thickens.

i found a johnson service manual dated 1994 and covering all engines in the 2 to 8 hp range. i looked at the carburetor diagrams and could not find a carb that has the
parts you describe. of course, it's a 1994 book, and you've got a 1998 engine.

i have a question. does part number 6 - the 'adjuster' in the fuel bowl - have any effect on part number 14 - the nozzle main? i can't see anything else that it might adjust unless maybe it somehow 'adjusts' the float.
Old 21-11-2013, 04:20   #14

Seems to me there was a time when Johnson/OMC (and Evinrude maybe) went belly up and they were subsequently picked up by somebody like Bombardier (?)... I dunno when they may have started outsourcing engines, though, or whether related to that or not. It might be the manuals you've found predate outsourcing, at least maybe for this particular outboard (or class)?

Looking at the shape of the parts, I don't see how 6 could interact with 14 (which apparently acts as a housing for 12 (the "needle assembly")... but what I actually know about carburetors could be written on the head of a pin

I did find something else maybe useful but equally confusing (to me). Clicking on the individual parts in the diagrams takes you to a new link; From the DT5Y diagram, it goes to:
13279-90000 VALVE, DRAIN --- ADJUSTER, VALVE, DRAIN

and from the DT4 diagram it goes to:
13616-93900 SCREW, PILOT --- ADJUSTER, SCREW, PILOT

Each of the target links give other motor models where the same part is used. I gather this is different sizes of the same type of part. OTOH, having two different names, one of which implies drain and the other implies mixture (either fuel or air?) doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

And in the grand scheme of things, I guess I become less and less sure what "Pilot" means in this context anyway...

-Chris
Old 21-11-2013, 06:21   #15

Hmmm... second thoughts. I had only been considering the shape of the adjuster as an in/out adjustment... but I think I see now that it could be used as an up/down adjustment too.

In that case, it could be raising/lowering the nozzle and needle assembly (parts 14 and 12).

I still don't know enough to tell what that would accomplish (adjust), though...

-Chris