Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2012, 07:24   #1
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Stuck Valves on Force 10 Stove

We bought a used boat with a Force 10 three burner stove. All the way down through the Bahamas we used it daily, mostly to boil water for coffee but warmed some beans, etc. Not heavy usage. Everything worked fine.

The boat has been sitting most of the past two months, and we took it out for an overnight last weekend. Two of the three burner valves for the stove are completely frozen up. The knobs won't push in, or turn. The third one will push in and light, but no matter how long I hold it in to warm up the thermistor, when I release it the burner goes out.

I thought I would ask for ideas before tearing into it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Old 17-08-2012, 08:01   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: stuck valves on Force 10 stove

Just got my 24 year old Force 10 refurbished. Works like new now. None of my burner valves were frozen but one (the big one of course) had the same symptoms as your third burner. It was as if the thermal couple was not working although sometimes it would stay lit. Spoke to the service guy (anybody in the Toronto area need theirs fixed, the guy is great) and he said the thermal switch was sticking. He explained it all about a little ball fitting somewhere and it was dirty. Highly technical but his main complaint was that it was hard to get at. But by the sounds of it, could be done by a layman.

I was on the verge of getting a new stove and am really glad a friend referred me to the gas mechanic. Two hours labour and it was like new.

What age is yours? Does it have the brass burners that lift off? You can do a lot yourself. A bit of lube on the sticking valves will fix that. Remove all the orifices (I usually call them jets because they look like carb jets) and soak in alcohol to clean. Do not use wire as it will damage the orifice. A 7mm socket does the trick.

Force 10 might have parts if you need some. They are quite helpful.
FORCE 10 - Cooking Without Compromise