Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2007, 09:02   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Storing Surfboards

I'm looking at buying surfboards for next years trip down the West Coast. I don't surf but the family and I have decided that we will learn to do so in Southern Cal and Mexico. A friend has recommended that we get a 9'6" board for me and two 8' boards for the kids. I am trying to figure out how to store them on the boat. Does anyone know where the best place/way to store them?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2007, 09:05   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I was surprised to find out that some cruisers hang them from the deckhead down below. Same thing with kayaks.
Old 29-11-2007, 18:20   #3

Inflatable surf boards?

Anyone hear of/experience inflatable surf boards??
Michael Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 19:51   #4

Boat: Cape Dory Intrepid, 28 ft, Credo
An inflatable surfboard would not ride well. The rails won't bite in or track well and it's not likely to be stiff enough to hold its shape while you are standing in one spot. You can do alright on the soft-foam BZ boards. Something longer than 7 ft is good for starting out.
If you don't need the quarter berth as a berth that might be a good spot to store it.
olivertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 20:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
It's getting pretty easy to spot daysailers, weekenders and liveaboards in the marinas. It's got a lot to do with how much crap is stored on deck, how many jury rigged airconditioners, scoops and shade covers and how much laundry is hanging in the rigging - LOL.

All the kayaks and surfboards seem to be stored on their sides against the lifelines with the bicycles...

Last weekend our liveaboard friends hauled 4 bikes for us. Added to their 4 the 8 bikes "disaapeared" into the rest of the detrious on their 51 footer...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 14:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
For both Kayaks and Surfboards, I've seen two pretty nifty ways: Outboard side carriers --- basically 'L' shaped brackets that extend outboard of the lifelines - just drop the board/kayak into them and bungie over the top. The other was to add or modify the aft davit/radar/solar panel arch so that there was a 'slot' under or over (depending on configuration) and slide them in there.

Personally, I have my kayaks on top of the house forward of the cockpit (stacked) on the port side. Dinghy (Boston whaler 9'4") is stern forward and slotted into the deck area forward of the mast and extending partially onto the house. Not the greatest, but beats the heck out of losing the dinghy by towing (once was enough). Deck is a bit cluttered with this arrangement, but I don't have (or plan to have) davits.

As Dan says - my bike is tied off and covered attached to the lifelines just aft of midships.
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 19:17   #7

do a google on inflatable surfboards and you'll find this url:
ULI Boards - Ultra Light Inflatable surfboards, paddleboards, bodyboards
There are some nice videos of the boards in action. I don't know that they would be great surfboards but the video's make them look good. and they would be a hell of a lot easier to store. I'm thinking of buying three when we head to Mexico.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 30-11-2007, 19:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive View Post
For both Kayaks and Surfboards, I've seen two pretty nifty ways: Outboard side carriers --- basically 'L' shaped brackets that extend outboard of the lifelines - just drop the board/kayak into them and bungie over the top. The other was to add or modify the aft davit/radar/solar panel arch so that there was a 'slot' under or over (depending on configuration) and slide them in there.
I'm worried about the extra pressure put on the stanchions that would be caused when a wave breaks against the board. Has anybody had experience wwith that type of problem.. I know that I've bent stanchions just by using them to pull myself on to a boat.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 30-11-2007, 20:17   #9

I've put them on the life lines and some other guys have them on davits, sideways (stretching across both). I've only once had a board and been worried about wind (I don't carry one often), so I threw it overboard on 50' of line with the leash secured to a bowline. It worked, but the line was twisted a bit when I hauled it back onboard the next day.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 20:20   #10

Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
I've made some pads and straps to keep them on top of the dingy davits. They fit well but I haven't gone far with them yet.
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:48   #11

Boat: Cape Dory Intrepid, 28 ft, Credo
Charlie,
Thanks for the link on the ULI surfboards. They might be just the thing for a middle-aged cruiser who wants to cruise some waves.
Oliver
olivertwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:46   #12

Boat: CSK, 33' Aita Pe'ape'a
I have an inflatable Kayak. You can put it anywhere. I keep my surfboards in the bows of the catamaran. This may not help, but the forepeak could work for this as well. No one is going to sleep in the forepeak underway so it is a good storage place.
Inflatable boards are cool but they don't work well. They are better to paddle around on then to surf waves. I would never get one (as a surfer).

This is a much more attractive option in my opinion. The Pope Bisect. Pricey though...

The Amazing Pope Bisect Two Piece Travelboard

Tnflakbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:00   #13

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Something to remember, anything kept on the deck is at the risk of getting lost,
We often, in the past, kept alot of things on the deck, until that one wave a couple of years ago, relieved us of all our goodies. When It hit, tye lies broke and including the dinghy, we lost a lot of things.. we spent a couple hours making circles picking up crap that had washed off the deck.......
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 20:06   #14

Keeping things on deck is inevitable but a surfboard seems like it would put alot of strain on the stanchions.

Goodluck with it OliverT. the videos make them look good. I'll let you know if I buy one but I don't know how well my info would be since I've never surfed before.

Tnk have you tried one of the ULI Boards. They look farily stiff to me. Carts didn't have wheels till someone thought of it.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 02-12-2007, 00:52   #15

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
I actually have a 9 ft ULI Board stashed in one of my forward berths in my catamaran. It folds up nice into a carry bag along with the Pump. Being that you're a beginner I think it's a perfect option for you. The fins are a bit flexible but the board still turns enough to go down the line. I wouldn't surf it in overhead waves but for small stuff which you'll more than likely be learning on the ULI BOARD will be more than sufficient. You're not gonna win the Pipe Masters on it but I think you'll find it adequate for your needs - especially if storage is of concern. I also find it great for partying on a boat - using it to paddle into shore, etc.. And who said CHARLIE DON'T SURF??? Remember Apocalypse Now?
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote