Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 00:21   #1

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Stopping the Dinghy Swaying Around on Davits

I have tried several methods, but they are not too successful. How do other stop their dinghy swaying and rocking back and forth etc: when on passage?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 00:48   #2

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Re: Stopping the dinghy swaying around on davitts.

I use a ratchet strap around the middle of my dink and snug it to the push pit rail. Its not perfect, but it better than anything else I have tried.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:30   #3

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Surfin $90&_^&$^# Great Q I have been fighting this for years will be great to hear other ideas Cheers Jacko
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:43   #4

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

I have about 5 metres of rope left over on each of the davit's hauling lines once the dink is raised. I just cross brace it through the seats and then tie it down to the stern rail. It pretty well stops the movement but after a night at sea the lines have all worked a bit loose and so it is less than ideal. Actually I am waiting until someone steals my dink and then I am going to get one of those deflatables that I can throw in a locker. I've never liked having a dink on davits except for inshore. I also don't like it that I have to get off my arse to look over it when on watch at night.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:12   #5

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

We did the following on a cat, don't know if it will work on monos, especially narrow designs.

First take the dinghy painter and tie it off to the nearest stern cleat, tight enough to pull the dinghy a bit over to that side.
Then use the leftover davit line on the dinghys stern, wrapping it around the tube and pulling the tube up snug to the davit.
If you worry about chafe use a towel for a chafe guard, or use webbing instead of line.
If you pull the dinghy up tight enough, both to the tube and to the cleat, you shouldn't have any chafe.
Did this for years with no problems.
Our davits were close to the dink when it was raised, if yours aren't then you may have to tie off the stern tube in some other manner.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:35   #6

Boat: Allures 44

Stainless rachet straps, crossed diagonally and secured to the push pit, tightened enough to pull the dinghy into the davits' vertical posts, compressing the inflatable hull an inch or so. This tension provides some shock absorption, and it's totally snug.
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:36   #7

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

First don't ever sail any distance offshore with a dinghy on davits. Pull it up on deck and lash it down securely.

For coastal cruising and a jump over to the Bahamas, I used two web straps criss crossed athwartships to stabilize the dinghy on a monohull where the transom was wider (bit a little bit) than the 9' dinghy.

But I can remember coming through Hampton Roads against a wind/tide situation with 4-5' square seas that severely taxed that arrangement.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 17:16   #8

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

like others, crossed ratchets work best for me. I also have a fender between the dink and the sternrail. It helps prevent chafe on the various fittings on the stern
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 17:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabbatical II View Post
I also don't like it that I have to get off my arse to look over it when on watch at night.
On the presumption you are not being facetious, you are supposed to make periodic checks of the boat during your watch. I have found antennas that have come loose, deck cargo ready to become unsecured, line tailing into the drink close to the rudder, shackles that have come undone, etc. Once, I found a VHF antenna dragging in the water by its cable. There was no indication that it had come down. A watch is not just about watching for other vessels.

Rocking and creaking o'er the waves, if given enough time, will cause near anything to come undone. I feel compelled to add that a watch is also for fire watch. Is the BBQ really shut off and cooled? Has a fuel line come undone? Gosh, it just never ends.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 18:17   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We have a RIB. We put one pad eye in the bottom forward and one aft them cross tie from there... never had a problem with this arrangement.
Old 08-06-2013, 20:27   #11

Thanks everyone for your most helpful replies. I have just tried the cross ratchet straps, with a fender between stern tube of rib and davit uprights, and small piece of exercise mattress at bow end of tube to stop chaffing. Sailing from Newcastle to Port Stephens on Tuesday, I'll report back!

Old 08-06-2013, 21:42   #12

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

When you cross strap it, do you connect the other end to a lower part on the davits/ gunnel or to the upper part of the davit arm? Does it pulled down on the dinghy or pull it up? I always used the ratchet straps crossed to pull the dinghy up tight to the top horizontal davit arm, but this caused chafing and burn marks on the hypalon. It seemed pulling up would put less strain on the davits, but then I tried cross strapping down to eyes on the lower mounts of the davits and this caused no wear on the tubes (because it was pulling down), but seems like it would cause a ton of strain on the davits arms... not only are they holding the dinghy, but they are now being pulled down and inward.

Matt
Old 09-06-2013, 07:11   #13

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

We criss-cross lines from an attachment point near the ends of the davits close to the end block and under the dinghy bottom and pull them tight, attaching the lines somewhere on the davits. We carried our dinghy this way offshore in gale conditions and it stayed just fine. Just remember to remove the drain plug.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 14:32   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Thanks everyone for your most helpful replies. I have just tried the cross ratchet straps, with a fender between stern tube of rib and davit uprights, and small piece of exercise mattress at bow end of tube to stop chaffing. Sailing from Newcastle to Port Stephens on Tuesday, I'll report back!
This worked, no movement whatsoever, thanks again for the help on this one!

Old 11-06-2013, 15:03   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Re: Stopping the Dinghy Swaying Around on Davits

I use to use the leftover line to tie it up but it rubs through pretty good.

I had some nylon straps made up with a protective base at the latch and secure it tight to the davits and it pretty much stops the swaying.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, davits