Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2015, 18:17   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
Speakers/Stereo

Hi everybody...I have a small issue with my stereo. Where do you all put speakers in the cabin and what is a good stereo to install? I don't think the car stuff would hold up, will it? I have an Irwin 30 and there isn't too much room for speakers. I'd love to put my Klipsch....
Thanks as always...Peace
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 18:57   #2

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: speakers/stereo

I've never had problems using car stereos but I have always had what I would call a dry boat. However if you go the car stereo route be careful not to buy one with fiddly small controls. You need big buttons when the boat is moving around. I found a couple of double DIN systems from JVC that have terrific large buttons and very good sound. As for speakers, it's such a personal taste thing. I don't have anything setup for above decks sound, I'm the kind of person who listens to music sitting down at anchor, so our speakers are in the main saloon. Again, not marine speakers but a set of Tannoy Reveal speakers with synthetic speaker boxes for moisture resistance. The original owner was an audio engineer and had installed massive drivers in chipboard boxes back in the 80s. The chipboard was starting to swell at the corners but the drivers were fine after 30 years. So clearly anything would have worked.

Now the really hard part, I find, is deciding what to listen to.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone so apologies for weird autocorrect typos.
Old 19-10-2015, 16:26   #3

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Re: Speakers/Stereo

Since the radio does not interest me, and I have plenty of mp3s, I bought an appropriate sized amplifier to which I input, via an installed jack or via bluetooth, an iPod or similar. No head unit required and no need to cut open somewhere to install it.

Why can't things remain where i carelessly left them?
Old 19-10-2015, 16:43   #4

I've had stereos in some of my boats. Bose etc. Frankly, I would not do it. I would buy a hi end boom box. Speaker placement is limited, hard to install and often you want it somewhere else.
One boat I had a Bose system with speakers in the main sleeping cabin, common area and cockpit.
A good Boom box would have been perfect, sounded great and portable to anywhere including the foredeck!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 16:59   #5

Probably the best thing ever created is this:

Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Mobile II Portable Speaker - Wireless - Dark Gray

Sound fills the entire boat, great bass, take it outside or ashore, uses no power,battery recharges and lasts half a day, best of all, you have your phone on already, so only power used is to amplify.

A truly amazing product.
2hullvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2015, 17:01   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Mine came with an old "marine" stereo that I removed and replaced with a double DIN car stereo. I left the graphic equalizer as i like those. Do the Bluetooth for the phone, and a remote is nice in rough seas.
Anyway there have been for a number of years excellent small box speakers, but they are in-efficient and require lots of power to drive, but they do sound good and are small, just very inefficient.

Which klipsch? Not Horns are they, I always wanted a set of horns, just never got them. I'm a tube amp, vinyl kind of person, just never got the horns.

I wouldn't go the boom box route myself and they are large, and if your a Klipsch type, they may be lound, but the quality just isn't there.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 05:31   #7
Marine Service Provider

Take a look at the fusion units. They also have combos with speakers that are not that expensive and are made for a marine environment.
S0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 06:30   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Tackle View Post
Take a look at the fusion units. They also have combos with speakers that are not that expensive and are made for a marine environment.
You mean something like this?

Are they worth the extra money compared to car units?

I've also thought about this question and wonder if car unit would be just fine..
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2015, 06:51   #9

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I replaced my dated marine stereo with a car system, and it's held up well. A decent one can be had for a couple hundred dollars, so if this one dies or newer technology comes along, I won't be out a lot of money.

Speakers are Poly Planer marine speakers. 20 years old and work great. Until I secured them they took several dives across the interior with zero damage.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rss