Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 11:24   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Question Small (Very Old!) Avon RIB - What to Look for ?

As an Avon will be Hypalon. It's a 4 metre Searider.

Not going on the back of my boat - would be kept in the harbour on a drying mud mooring 24/7 (as it probably has been for many years as that's where it is now, and no trailer) and used for a 1/2 mile "commute" (when I finally leave the dock ) so will get little use. no waterskiing or wave jumping. A bit OTT for the job intended. but it's cheap and nicely fendered

For the price I am not expecting perfection (and happy enough to take a punt on the engiine) but just not sure how to judge the RIB itself and what is expensive / not worthwhile (not possiible?) to fix. And any cheap and dirty tricks to share? ............would be nice if the RIB did not need pumping up every week (even if topping up now & again before use) - how likely is that with an old RIB?

Yeah, I'd need a chair!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:28   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
As an Avon will be Hypalon. It's a 4 metre Searider.

Not going on the back of my boat - would be kept in the harbour on a drying mud mooring 24/7 (as it probably has been for many years as that's where it is now, and no trailer) and used for a 1/2 mile "commute" (when I finally leave the dock ) so will get little use. no waterskiing or wave jumping. A bit OTT for the job intended. but it's cheap and nicely fendered

For the price I am not expecting perfection (and happy enough to take a punt on the engiine) but just not sure how to judge the RIB itself and what is expensive / not worthwhile (not possiible?) to fix. And any cheap and dirty tricks to share? ............would be nice if the RIB did not need pumping up every week (even if topping up now & again before use) - how likely is that with an old RIB?

Yeah, I'd need a chair!
I believe that is the water ballasted version. IE. the hull has holes in it to fill with water at rest. Designed to load a bunch of people on one side and not tip. If that is the case, there could be some marine growth in the hull that is weighing the boat down based on being stored in the water.

Overall a well built RIB, some separation typically is seen at the transom to tube link, and I would check the valves as they deteriorate from age, and can be a key reason for leaks.

Cheers,
Old 03-09-2010, 14:20   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
there could be some marine growth in the hull that is weighing the boat down based on being stored in the water.
Just been Googlng. I guess the answer to that would be a power washer. and maybe poking a drain cleaner / rod in. every coupla years

Quote:
Overall a well built RIB, some separation typically is seen at the transom to tube link, and I would check the valves as they deteriorate from age, and can be a key reason for leaks.
I like Avon dinks Seperation of the tube from the hull? - I've heard of that, am guessing not an easy fix..........mmmm.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avon, rib