Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2008, 07:28   #1

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
Single Tube Stainless Dinghy Davit?

Folks;

Last fall I saw some dinghy davits installed on a sailboat. They consisted of a single stainless tube bent in the conventional shape for a stern davit. Very tidy and neat installation.

The skipper of the boat said it got its strength because it contained one thick wall tube inside the outer thick wall one.

Does anyone know what brand this is? (I was told but neglected to write it down.)

Thanks

Ken

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:36   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Ken, check it out.

Kato Marine - Sailboat Davits - Bay II Model Davits
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41   #3

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Simpson Davits: Quality Tubular Davits & Handylift

Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:50   #4

Boat: Endeavour 37 Ketch "Capella"
Kato Marine davits ...

Morgan;

Thanks for the quick reply.

I don't think those are the ones I saw. The Kato Bay-II model is rated 150 pounds each ... possibly because they arn't the double "tube-within-a-tube" type that I saw. The davits I saw were lifting a pretty substantial RIB inflatable with motor.

I'm sure the Kato Bay-II davits are excellent products, but the are borderline, as far as capacity goes, for my application.

Ken

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur." - Anything said in Latin sounds profound
KaptainKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:47   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You can get stainless tubing in a number of different wall thicknesses to match whatever strength you want..in addition to adding gussets for additional strength. Metal fabricators that specialize in aluminum and stainless for boats can make you whatever you need.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 08:15   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Atkins & Hoyle Model 1400

When stainless steel tubes are bent the wall thickness at the bend thins out. This severely limits the strength and can lead to failure. At 200 lbs. a tube inside of a tube simply is not enough. For proper installation, we feel that a quality davit should have at least a 12" solid bar at all load points. You will find that quality davit manufacturers avoid bends at all cost.

Ken, were the davits that you saw rotatable? removable? Were they made from 316 or 304 stainless? At 200 lbs. what was the lifting ratio, 6:1?
Old 13-03-2008, 09:37   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I agree with benjamaphone. Avoid bends and you should be using pipe sections instead of tube and solid stock at the loading areas.
Here are a couple of photos of my davits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Davits 1 DSC_0008.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	300.5 KB
ID:	2954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Davits DSC_0058.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	2955  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 12:56   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those look pretty good there Pelagic. That's a lot of welding and paint though. And as you probably know, welds are the major entry point for a sailors worst enemy, rust. By avoiding welds, bends and paint, some quality davits can far surpass any DIY job. Davits cast out of Alamg-35 are even better because there is only annodized aluminum-magnesium, no welds and no bends.
Old 14-03-2008, 18:14   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Sorry the photos were not very good. No paint just highly polished stainless pipe.

They were made in Holland 24 years ago and still look like a piece of jewellery. Not a touch of rust!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:13   #10

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Paul View Post
Paul,

Just came across you message and link in my serach for davits. Great stuff thank you
Old 09-06-2008, 03:38   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you check the details on the above you will see they are rated to only 150 pounds. You'll find normal davits rated double that or more. When you consider the work to install them, the extra price for better davits seem not so much. The other model form the Kato Marine are a better product and more suited for your purpose.

Our last boat had St Croix davits that were removable. They were rated to 300 lbs. Our current davits can't be purchased as they were part of the boat. I like davits just fine but they add 5 feet to the LOA and have a magnetic attraction to wood pilings.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 05:17   #12

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you're looking for davits try these. Got a pair six years ago. Excellent.

Ocean Marine Systems - Davits, Rails, Lifts, and Platforms.
Old 09-06-2008, 18:57   #13

Boat: Jeanneau, Sun Oddesy DS, 42, Zofia
Great info on davits

Guys,

Thank you for the replies. These web site give me a great start. I would like to know your opinions on stern access and how davits interfere with taht. The DS42 has fantastic access from the stern and I would hate to loose this featutre.
Old 09-06-2008, 19:28   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I would like to know your opinions on stern access and how davits interfere

I can still exit with the davits. On our last boat I added a folding ladder to the side because the stern ladder was not usable if I went over board. I sure as hell won't be lost at sea because I couldn't get back on the boat. It's an issue you need to examine, but then I don't think you carry a dinghy on davits when the situation gets nasty or could get nasty. It needs a cozy place on deck or deflated.

They work great for short hops or hanging up the boat to keep the barnacles off and the would be thieves at a disadvantage. With both you at least have to try to win or you won't. Not much is 100%.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:37   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfield View Post
opinions on stern access
To solve this problem, we have designed a varied line of rotating, removable davits that have a variety of mounting options. You can get a great quality rotating davit that can easily be swung out of the way and can be removed when not in use. If you look around you'll find that there are a few good quality davit manufacturers that can solve any mounting, access or any other issues that might arise when considering davits.

Tags
davits