Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2010, 12:36   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Durban South Africa
Boat: L 34
Posts: 279
Series Drogue

I've just read a whole research project on Drogues and it seems the most effective is a "Series Drogue" that suggests 90,- (yes, 90! )5inch dia cones on a looong string. Anybody had any experience with that idea? I just imagine a coil of little cones neglected in the lazarette for years, paint and oil spilt and hardened, flattened into unpliable rigidity, then thrown over the side in that unwelcome storm and expected to open up into perfect little collective, well- - - drogues. Opinions?
__________________

__________________
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 13:54   #2
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Jordan Series Drogue vs Paratech Sea Anchor
__________________

__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 17:04   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmek View Post
I've just read a whole research project on Drogues and it seems the most effective is a "Series Drogue" that suggests 90,- (yes, 90! )5inch dia cones on a looong string. Anybody had any experience with that idea? I just imagine a coil of little cones neglected in the lazarette for years, paint and oil spilt and hardened, flattened into unpliable rigidity, then thrown over the side in that unwelcome storm and expected to open up into perfect little collective, well- - - drogues. Opinions?
Store the coil in a bag, and keep it handy: You just might need it.
__________________
Healer52 / Lisa, Rick and Angel the Salty Dog
Currently on the hard, looking for a boat
Healer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 17:32   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
maxingout's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fort Pierce, Phoenix
Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Posts: 2,606
Contrary to conventional wisdom, I made my Jordan style series drogue using 9 oz sailcloth for the cones rather than lightweight nylon. Those cones are not going to self-destruct in a storm. I chose the 9 oz dacron because that is what I had on hand to repair sails. Since I never needed to repair sails with that new dacron by the time I reached New Zealand, I decided to use it for my series drogue. It's all neatly stowed in a sailbag ready for use.
__________________
Dave -Sailing Vessel Exit Only

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 20:17   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montana
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Contrary to conventional wisdom, I made my Jordan style series drogue using 9 oz sailcloth for the cones rather than lightweight nylon. Those cones are not going to self-destruct in a storm. I chose the 9 oz dacron because that is what I had on hand to repair sails. Since I never needed to repair sails with that new dacron by the time I reached New Zealand, I decided to use it for my series drogue. It's all neatly stowed in a sailbag ready for use.
I'm usually of the mind that if something needs to be built, it's worth overbuilding...Especially safety equipment. However, is there any evidence of a normally constructed Jordan drogue self-destructing?
__________________
Healer52 / Lisa, Rick and Angel the Salty Dog
Currently on the hard, looking for a boat
Healer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2010, 23:03   #6
Registered User
 
sabray's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wash DC
Boat: PETERSON 44
Posts: 3,169
I left a pail of questionable anchor chain in a bucket in the yard. It moved passed questionable and now is waste. Once it was good gear it suffered years of use then neglect and now it is hopless that it will perform it's task.
Leave anything unchecked abused unused used to well it will find it's moment of failure. Wether a para anchor or drogue. Any thing dudapating energy at the moment iof need is good and I thinks a well checked drogue quite fine.
__________________
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 08:27   #7
Registered User
 
svcambria's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mexico (currently)
Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Posts: 573
Yup, you gotta take some care with your equipment. I believe, however, that temporary or infrequent failure of the little cones in the Jordan drogue is acceptable, which is why there are so many. And Sailrite, which makes a kit, advertises that their cones can go through your winch - pretty tough...
__________________
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 11:08   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
mikereed100's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Santa Barbara
Boat: 46' custom cat
Posts: 1,571
Images: 2
We are putting together a Sailrite kit and I am surprised at the beefiness of the cones. I was expecting nylon spinnaker cloth but they are fairly substatial Dacron (4oz?). I can't imagine a cone failing. I usually store paint cans and oil on top of my parachute anchor so the drogue should be safe.

Mike
__________________
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2010, 11:28   #9
Registered User
 
svcambria's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mexico (currently)
Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria
Posts: 573
Quote:
I usually store paint cans and oil on top of my parachute anchor so the drogue should be safe.
Gotta be careful with those drogues... ;-)
__________________

__________________
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drogue

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Series Drogue Rode . . . Dyneema ? cvondo Anchoring & Mooring 7 11-06-2010 11:18
Series Drogue Joefloki Seamanship & Boat Handling 18 03-02-2010 07:21
WTB: Jorden Series Drogue LakeSuperior Classifieds Archive 0 19-06-2009 08:11
Series Drogue Crak Multihull Sailboats 58 13-01-2009 06:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.