Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2019, 13:56   #1

Sailing Tender

I'm looking for a way to replace my inflatable deck stowed tender with something I can sail around ... as well as motor. Very now and then I see a Walker Bay plastic sailing dinghy for sale. ( we're in New Zealand). Has anyone owned one or discovered a practical sailing tender solution? Inflatable would be perfect but the ones I've seen on the web are pretty pricey...
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 14:11   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Sailing Tender

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...sailing+dinghy
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 14:14   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

Dinghy | Lifeboat | Yacht Tender | Sailing Dinghy | Portland Pudgy
Old 12-05-2019, 14:29   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

I have a sailing rig on my 10’ portabote. It’s not very stout — really just for fun. But I have used it to sail around the anchorage.

Old 12-05-2019, 14:54   #5

Haha love that Portland Pudgy. I’ve done some googling and there are some pretty fun looking sail rigs that have been built for inflatable tenders.... I have some small boat rigs lying around so building a jig to hold a mast and leeboards might be the go...
Old 13-05-2019, 11:18   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Build a nesting dinghy.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 11:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Build a nesting dinghy.
Hmmmm..... What is a nesting dinghy?
Old 13-05-2019, 11:43   #8

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

It’s a hard dinghy that breaks into 2 (or very occasionally more) parts that nest inside of each other.
Saves on deck space while at the same time you get a reasonably size hard dinghy that rows and sails way better than any inflatable.

Look at Chameleon by Danny Greene or the Two-Paw dinghies by B&B Yachts.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 15:44   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have my 8' Montgomery dinghy stored upside down on the foredeck of the Pearson 35. Made up some chocks to hold the dinghy. Made the sail to Hawaii without any problems. Actually having the dinghy on the foredeck made maneuvering around forward easier with the dinghy to lean against. It's been up there for more than a decade and couldn't think of sailing without it there.

Use the spinnaker pole with a 4 part harken ratcheting fiddle block system lashed to it to hoist the dinghy in and out of the water. Attach the tackle to a bridle on the stern of the dinghy to haul it out vertical and drop the bow in its chock then lower the stern onto its chocks. The fiddle block lashed to the spinnaker pole ratchets so handling line is easy one hand. Lash the oars, two part mast, and boom along with the awning spreaders to the overhead below where they make a great great handhold for moving about.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 02:10   #10

Thanks Peter O,
I think you misread what I'm asking. I'm happy to sail with my dinghy stowed on deck.... what I'm looking for is a way to sail my dinghy around when I'm in an anchorage... ie make a rig for my dinghy so I can sail it, or find a substitute to my inflatable that I can use as both a tender and sailing dinghy.

Thanks for sharing your spinnaker pole lifting technique though.

regards

Mal
NZ
Old 14-05-2019, 03:50   #11

We were in asking ourselves the same question a year ago after using an inflatable for five years, storing it on the foredeck of our Ericson 33. We bought a Trinka 8-foot hard dinghy. Fantastic! Rows like an absolute dream- great exercise and everyone in the anchorage talks to a rower! We motor using a lightweight 2.5 hp outboard. Top speed is 4.5 knots, but that's OK since we very rarely need to go even a mile. But the sailing is the best! Once the big boat is settled in an anchorage and all our personal stuff is spread out below an on deck we never stow it all for just a daysail. So the Trinka is perfect for just playing around sailing. Small boat sailing is the best- where we all started! This boat is gorgeous to look at and very well built! I had already planned to sail the Trinka today, and now I'm going to get out of this V-berth and go!
Cap Bill Des is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, tender