Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-09-2009, 09:48   #16

Boat: North Pacific Yachts Trawler 42'
Trink 10 Welcome to Trinka!

Old 14-10-2009, 20:11   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 36
Reading through all these post, it does not look like your original question got the answer of doing it all in one boat. So I will tell you what I did. I struggled with the same question for a long time. I finally decided to do it with 2 boats for several reasons. Having limited deck space (36 ft boat) I thought was a challenge. As it turns out, it was not an issue at all. Patience sorts it all out.

Trying to do all things with one boat is just too much compromise and I don't think you'd ever be happy.

Having 2 different purpose boats is nice if one should go missing or people want to do different things.

So I carry my 8 ft Walker Bay on my stern. My boarding ladder doubles as my davits. No extra charge or weight. The lifting is done by my stern arch. That stern arch does sooooo much. The Walker Bay has the "flotation collar", but not the factory one. I made flotation tubes out of mesh and filled them with 8 deflatable stowaway fenders. If it sounds trashy, I do get a lot of compliments on it. I am very fussy about aesthetics.

My inflatable (which I have sold and will be replacing with a folding transom RIB) was either stowed in the quarterberth or forward of the mast.

I love my sailing dink and simply was not willing to give it up, but I believe a "GO FAST" dink has a lot of value. I have used to as a tug as well as a dive platform. And I simply like to get the the dingy tie up fast. I think there is a safety factor in the inflatable, especially when it's a go fast.

Each boat has it's own engine (the Walker Bay does motor, as well as row and sail). I am covered.

So it can be done, and on less boat than I ever thought it could.

Old 21-10-2009, 18:53   #18

Boat: Hardin SeaWolf 38 - Natasha
Walker Bay 10 RID

We were looking for many of the same features, and ended up with 2 boats, a hard dink and a wood floor zodiac. the wife likes the zodiac while I get to sail around the anchorage with my toes in the water and a grin on my face.

We recently purchased a Walker Bay 10 RID (rigid inflatable dinghy). basically it's a row boat with an inflatable collar. It's great, absolutely the best all around dinghy I've owned yet. It rows easily. I can stand up in it safely. With the collar it can double as a dive boat. The little ecetric trolling motor pushes it along very nicely. And because it's plastic - not fiberglass, so maintenance seems pretty minimal. The sail plan is easy to assemble and with the collar not only is heel limited, but it also deflects any spray from the bow. After sailing it in some heavy chop in San Francisco Bay (2 miles off Berkeley) I was even more impressed. Granted it won't hold 800 lbs. but think this is a great boat. We bought it used for $800.

Other hard dinks I've owned:

El Toro - fun but not so great for a cruising dink.

Dyer Dhow - Great boat & fun to sail. I finally sailed it to it's death. I think it was more than 30 years old.

Fatty Knees - nice, very nice. so nice it was stolen!

I've owned a few inflatables, too. Right now I've a Zodiac. It's PVC, yuck, but it's mint and was only $300 - so i'll deal with it.
Old 31-10-2009, 14:19   #19
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
portabote

A friend has one he uses as a tender to and from his mooring. It planes with 3 in it and is an easy row. I can not speak to the quality of the sailing, but it sounds promising!

We just got an 8' because we liked his so much and it fits on our 28 footer!

Holds Up to 807 Pounds (367 kg)
96 Pound (43.6 kg) Hull Weight
Structural Plastic Transom
Needs only 4 inches (11.4cm) Of Water to Float!
Accommodates an engine weight
.. up to 89 p
ounds (40.5 kg) maximum 9.9 hp (Latest Model)
Now, a full sized 4 seat Porta-Bote rated f
or 5 persons.

Sailing in this new fast, "forgiving" and "dry" craft with its
5 foot (2.77m) beam will add more excitement to every weekend.
Portable Folding Porta-Bote Sail
In 10'(3.27m),
12'(3.85m) and 14'(4.28m) lengths

A Unique, Folding Lateen Rig Sailboat - Sail produced exclusively for Porta-Bote by world famous Rolly Tasker. The company that designs the sails for the Americas Cup Races!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2009, 16:30   #20

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
A friend has one he uses as a tender to and from his mooring. It planes with 3 in it and is an easy row. I can not speak to the quality of the sailing, but it sounds promising!

We just got an 8' because we liked his so much and it fits on our 28 footer!

Holds Up to 807 Pounds (367 kg)
96 Pound (43.6 kg) Hull Weight
Structural Plastic Transom
Needs only 4 inches (11.4cm) Of Water to Float!
Accommodates an engine weight
.. up to 89 p
ounds (40.5 kg) maximum 9.9 hp (Latest Model)
Now, a full sized 4 seat Porta-Bote rated f
or 5 persons.

Sailing in this new fast, "forgiving" and "dry" craft with its
5 foot (2.77m) beam will add more excitement to every weekend.
Portable Folding Porta-Bote Sail
In 10'(3.27m),
12'(3.85m) and 14'(4.28m) lengths

A Unique, Folding Lateen Rig Sailboat - Sail produced exclusively for Porta-Bote by world famous Rolly Tasker. The company that designs the sails for the Americas Cup Races!
Don't have time to list, but some of the specs. are different for the different sizes of Porta-bote. I think my 10'8" weighs 60lbs + - and will take a max. engine weight of 59lbs + -.
Regardless, I love it, and honestly can't imagine something being all round better.

Regards,
Extemp.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: