Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2008, 10:30   #1

Boat: Ericson 39B
Safest place to board your boat.

We live aboard our newly purchased Ericson 39B. I am struggling with which way to go when it comes to boarding the boat at anchor. I would like to make a classic boarding ladder ( like the military uses ) for next to our boarding gate on the stbd side. It can fold up out of the way when not in use and I will only have to store the lower platform that you step onto to get in and out of the tender. But most people I talk too prefere to come aboard from the stern. On the stern I would have to make a fold up platform and a couple of steps going up the stern and then make another stern pulpit with a gate and there's the backstay issue also. I have no problem welding and the ability to make things strong and light weight. So should I make it so we board from the stern or stbd side boarding gate. Would love to here any and all feed back.
Sea Maid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 11:15   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Why Reinvent the Wheel?

Boarding over the transom is prblematical in all but settled weather. It would be much wiser to board at your boarding gates. And, rather then trying to build something yourself, have a look at http://www.mysticstainless.com/page2.html . A less costly alternative by Edson is this http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=93067F , which you can also build out of StarBoard in your garage if you're handy.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 12:40   #3

Boat: Endeavour40 - MOBETAH
Sea Maid,

We use one of the west marine gunwale mount ladders and have mounting brackets on both sides.When we are sailing we just throw the ladder in the dingy which is on davits. It works for us and is cheaper than the Mystic stainless units. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...31&classNum=32

Good luck, Bill A.
mobetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 13:18   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I disagree with SV HyLyte.

We spend most of our time at anchor when cruising

If your boats design allows it…the stern is by far the best place to board at anchorages.

1/.. Most protected area in the shadow of the boat from wind and waves to make transfer

2/.. Your tender is usually tied astern Making boarding much more convenient.

3/.. Wind and current naturally keeps tender away from yacht’s topsides when broadside to the stern while waiting for someone. (less scuff or even need for fender)

4/.. Allows the option of larger boats to transfer supplies from the stern in rough weather

5/.. Gives you the option for Med mooring access in case you ever need it.

Another point to consider is why not have both? Usually mid-ships is lower which is to me the only advantage it has and the gates are already there, but the stern is much more functional when at anchor.

I have recently modified my stern boarding ladder to make an effective support that clamps up under the RIB when it is on the davits, making it very secure in rough weather and relieving the weight from the lifting davits.

Sorry don’t have a photo yet, but here is the old arrangement
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	4796  
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 13:29   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
The best place to board YOUR boat is the spot that is most comfortable to you. As you see you will get responses for both and advantages and disadvantages to both. Ultimately you need to decide your comfort level and do what is necessary to make that happen.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2008, 20:19   #6

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Chuck has a point. It really depends on the boat. The transom on my boat has way too much going on. Some boats have nice "Sugar Scoop" transom and this is a natural boarding point. I use the midship gates as this has no stantion rails to climb over. Lots of room to ofload goodies and the dog. I have no ladder but a neat fender called a "Fenderstep" which attached to the gate stantions and works well for our needs.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 08:19   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Boarding port, or strbrd is no problem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imagine & Linda.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	4805  
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 09:01   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Boarding port, or strbrd is no problem
Cool Pirate Freindly
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2008, 11:45   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
All I can say is, try it both ways, then decide. We used to board at the stern all the time, but after I bought one of those "$25 little white plastic hanging step thingies" at West Marine, we now prefer the gate on the port side.

My wife has a very bad back, and she finds stepping from the inflatable's tube to the single step and then to the deck, with the gate stanchions as hand-holds, to be the easiest and safest for her. Also, there's more room to put stuff from the dinghy (visitor's luggage or groceries) on the side decks than the stern, when making the transfer.

I picked the port side because I sit on the starboard side of the dinghy when driving. Port-side boarding allows me to grab the boat easily when pulling alongside.
Old 23-08-2008, 12:48   #10
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I used to use my boomkin, but last winter after stepping on an ice covered boomkin and hanging sideways upside down by one knee with my other foot and my head under frozen water I decided to try some other way of boarding. I now use the shroud stand-off (or what ever the technical term is). If I need to board from a swimming position I use fold down steps on my rudder.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 09:11   #11

Boat: Ericson 39B
Thank you for all your information. My main goal is too not do something twice!!!! I think I am going to go with the Stbd side boarding gate. As this ladder/steps that I am going to make can also be use used pier side. It will be a bit before I make it, have to finish some other stuff first. But will post pictures when it is done.
Sea Maid is offline   Reply With Quote