Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Do You run the fuel out of your outboard?
Yes 25 71.43%
No 10 28.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2010, 08:52   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Running Fuel Out of an Outboard

I didn't want to hijack the unreliable outboard thread so I thought I would start a new one. Recently an outboard mechanic suggested to me that if I used the proper fuel additive it was no longer neccesary to run my carb dry on my outboard despite recent issues with Ethanol in the gas. I began experimenting and have observed that I do indeed have more issues when I run the carb dry than when I leave it full. After running the carb dry and leaving the engine sit for as short as one week I find that the float needle valve sticks in the open position. If I take the carb apart and clean the needle valve and seat it starts on the first or second pull. If I don't the needle valve sticks open and the carb vents fuel when I pump the bulb and the engine won't start. When I leave the carb full(using the afore mentioned fuel treatment) I don't seem to have this problem. I have run the carb dry on my outboards for nearly 40 years, but I am about to change my practice. I was wondering what the view of the forum might be on this.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 09:08   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
While I too have run the carb dry for more than 40 years with 100% positive results, I have heard of the argument against doing so that you mention. I guess it depends on the outboard. If you can run it dry without the needle sticking, then do so.

I do know from experience the effects of leaving fuel in the carb long term and they are always bad- it leaves a residue from fuel evaporating in the small passages which necessitates a carb tear down and degunking.

Like they say- you pay your money and you take your chances.

Davidi
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 11:38   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Like said above, it may depend on the motor.

Last year I bought a new propane weed eater due to the new fuel clogging up the carb even though I ran it dry at the end of the season. I've had a few small motors recently that have acted differently to the 10% ethanal. These are my observations:

The old weedeater would plug up just running the 10% E fuel. I had to clean the carb each time I used it.

A (4 stroke) Honda 9.0 OB would also plug up just running the 10% E fuel. The old fuel, it ran great for 10 years.

A Volva Penta OB would plug up just running the 10% E fuel. The old fuel, it ran great for 20 years. I would run it dry at the end of season.

The (4 stroke) Yamaha generator I have to run dry or it fouls up. I could leave the 0% E fuel in all winter w/o a problem.

An old Evinrude 5 hp I have to run dry or the oil/gas mix dries up leaving a sticky goo in the carb. So far the 10% E fuel hasn't been a problem.

When I take a part these carb's, what I'm finding is a white crusty deposit in the carb jet after running the 10% E fuels. The Honda was so bad that I carried two extra jets and would change them out when the motor started running bad and then cleaned them out when I found time.

In the old days it seemed the fuel companies would take pride in who had the best fuel. Now it seems they see how cheap they can make it and stay within the standards.
Recently I've been looking for a propane or diesel generator. I'd like to be done with gasoline on boats.
Old 29-05-2010, 13:28   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
A lot of it may have to do with time. I might not bother to run the fuel out for a period of a week but I definitely would if I wasn't going to run the engine for several months. I think having a full carb/fuel system for that long would just leave more residue to gum up the works.
Old 29-05-2010, 13:30   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I know this doesn't contribute to the poll, but I have heard that using aircraft gas works wonders. It eliminates the ethanol problem anyway.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 22:12   #6

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Avgas is more expensive though than automotive petrol. The two most common grades you are likely to find easily are 80/87 and 100LL. Both are leaded fuels with TEL anti-knock additives (.5ml per gallon in the 80/87 and 1.2-2ml per gallon in the 100LL). The last time (a few weeks ago) that I bought 100LL for a flight to Seattle the price was $4.91/gal.
Old 30-05-2010, 02:58   #7

Boat: C&C 34
AvGas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I know this doesn't contribute to the poll, but I have heard that using aircraft gas works wonders. It eliminates the ethanol problem anyway.
I don't know about other countries, but here in the US AvGas is a big no no for anything except aircraft. You should not even be able to purchase it unless you have an aircraft. It is true there is no ethanol, but as mentioned above it is full of lead, way more than regular leaded gas ever had.

As far as running an engine out of gas I agree with the depends on the engine crowd. I personally run my 2 stroke Yamaha out of gas every time.

Although some 4 stroke outboards do not like you to run the engine out of gas, even for winterization.
Opie91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 03:38   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It porbably does depend on the engine. I always run my Tohatsu 18 dry and it gives me no problems. I helped a friend get his Yamaha 15 Enduro running, and the carb float was stuck to the bottom of the chamber in some fuel residue. He said that he had run it dry, but there was enough fuel left to gum up the works when it dried out.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 05:48   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Do new outboards even have a carborator?
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 06:13   #10

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
I voted yes, but I only run it dry before hanging it up for the winter. It usually doesn't sit unstarted for more than 4 days at a time March-December and I use stabilizer year round just in case.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 06:19   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I am a bit surprised. I never run my carb dry. Its a waste of fuel, money and wrecks the environment.

I must be missing the point, or I am a goose.

When you pull up at the boat instead of turning the engine off you just turn the fuel off and wait for it to stop?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 06:44   #12

Boat: Sayer40 Shilo
Send a message via MSN to pulyajibon Send a message via Skype™ to pulyajibon
If I disconect my fuel line from the Tohatsu 9.8 it takes 6m 34seconds for it to stop running.
Old 30-05-2010, 07:05   #13

Boat: C&C 34
Run Dry

I dont run my carb dry when we are out cruising, but if leaving the boat for a week or so I do. I would say the run dry thing is for us weekend guys not the hardcore full time cruisers.
Opie91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 07:07   #14

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
I'll run it dry when it is unlikely I'll be using it again soon; particularly at season end. If you don't plan on cleaning the carb next season.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 07:44   #15

Boat: Lagoon 37
but never on purpose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, outboard