Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 09:30   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
RIBs with Solid Aluminum Floors at Ft. Lauderdale Show

Did anyone look at the RIBs with solid aluminum floors at Ft. Luaderdale show in October?
They were at the in water section under the tents with the other RIB venders.

I did not have time to stop, but I recall the price was very very low, but all the staff looked Asian, made in China?

Anyone know what brand they were or any opinions?

I know AB Inflatables makes RIBs with a solid aluminum floors, but not cheap.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 09:41   #2

Re: RIBs with solid aluminum floors at Ft. Luaderdale show?

I remember seeing this type of dingy at least 15 years ago. I think they were from Oz or NZ at that point. Looked impressive. Never really seemed to catch on though. If they save a lot of weight I'd say it's a good thing.... If not, then Fiberglass would be my choice due to the corrosive nature of the alum, noise of the alum, inability to keep paint on alum and the grey oxide that gets all over everything if not painted....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 10:54   #3

I'd be interested in what you find out on this-Aquapro is the NZ al RIB but didn't know they were in the US? Al RIBS are the way to go-as you say the AB's are nice but pricey
newboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 11:46   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Here in Oz there are at least two aluminum hulled RIBs on the market: Swift and Gemini. The Swift hulls are made here in Oz, and are powder-coated. Interestingly, the Gemini models use hulls purchased from Swift -- they are identical -- but the Hypalon tubes are made in South Africa. They are not the cheapest makes around, but are less expensive than most of the "name brands", ie Zodiac or Avon.

Both are very good dinks... we've had a 3.5 M Gemini for about 7 years now, and while the powder coating on the bottom has been badly scratched, no corrosion issues have appeared. Incidentally, when ours was new it was pinched, the outboard removed, some petrol dumped into the hull and set afire and apparently launched into the Derwent river. The police found it a few days later and we recovered the badly scorched hull and mostly burned out tubes. After a major effort of cleaning up, Gemini replaced the tubes for about half of the cost of a new dink... so I can say that our hull has lead a difficult life and is still going strong. The replacement tubes are now about 6 years old, and are nearing the end of their life... maybe another year and they'll be due for replacement again.

Cheers,

Jim