Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2015, 10:52   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
RIB tender question

We carry a West Marine 310 Hypalon RIB in davits and when we get heavy rains like it does in Florida, 80%of the rainwater drains out through the drain plug, 20% doesn't. It seems like the last bit isn't heavy enough to open the thin rubber flap check valve in the drain hole. We always leave the dinghy in it's davits well tilted tail end down when in our home slip but it still ends up with a couple of gallons of water stuck. has anyone had and solved this problem please? I'm wondering since there is a bung closure anyway if we could, plan A, just remove the rubber flap valve disc ( which is presumably there only to stop it back flooding whilst the bung is removed or being replaced)and thus leave a completely open escape route for the remaining water?

The last Zodiac, inflatable floor style dinghy we had used to have a simple lever slide valve on the transom drain, simple and effective, so plan B might be to retrofit one of those but they are $60 'ish and might require a little carpentry come sikaflexing whereas plan A costs zilch and just a swift tug with some pliers..

All comments gratefully received as always
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:29   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: RIB tender question

Yes I ripped out the rubber seal and broke away the plastic drain part. It works better. Any water in the dinghy I just pull the bung out while motoring and all but a cupful gets sucked out the bung hole. Try to remember to replace the bung before you tie up to the dock.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 10:32   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: RIB tender question

Update.

Well, problem solved! I left the flap membrane in place, but have stuck two lolipop/popsicle sticks in the valve which hold the flap open. We had heavy storms yesterday and the dinghy is bone dry bar two last drops that will not reach the drain hole. HAd lunch at Ruby Tuesday's and collected a bunch of burger hold together sticks which are perfect for the job, neater and better than my first lolipop stick test job and I can save those for use as sealant, gel paste spatulas.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, tender