Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 02:54   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKetch View Post
... I know that modern 4-stroke outboards are a bit more complex than the lawnmower engines I used to rebuild as a kid, but still, what the heck is the big deal? ...
FWIW:
Two-Stroke outboards have no valves to adjust, no crankcase oil to change, no timing belts or chains that require replacement.
Your local village “dump” is much more likely to contain parts for a 2-Stroke engine.

Two-stroke outboard engines are generally lighter, faster,and less expensive than Four-stroke engines; which are usually are cleaner, smoother, and more fuel-efficient than Two-strokes.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:37   #17

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Spohn View Post
Currently use a 6hp, 57lb. 4 stroke Tohatsu. A bit heavy, but it is still managable. If I were starting out new, I would consider the electric Torqeedo motor and a solar cell to charge the battery when not in use.

West Marine: Travel 801 Folding Electric Outboard with Battery Product Display
I am interested in this type of propulsion but have yet to hear anyone endorse it that is using it. I would like to know if the battery is integral and how long it takes to recharge using a solar cell. Any users out there that can give a full review?
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:26   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Torqeedo Travel 801 electric outboard comes with a detachable 300 Watt-Hour lithium-manganese battery.
The enclosed charger charges the Travel‘s battery in approximately 10 hours. When charging in high ambient temperatures (>35̊C), it could take longer.

http://www.torqeedo.com/uploads/medi...english_04.pdf

It won the IBEX Innovation Award in the Outboard Engines category in 2006, and also won the DAME Jury Award for Innovation at the METS Exhibition in Amsterdam.

The Suggested retail price of the Travel 801 from Torqeedo is $1,599. A replacement battery is also available for $599 (kind of expensive for a 2HP outboard)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard