I recently purchased a Walkerbay8 dinghy
in Coconutgrove for $100. It had a torned transom, but other than that and severe marine
growth in the bottom, the boat was sound.
I searched and searched all over the internet
on how to repair this plastic boat. It turns out the few writting I found were discouraging. So after removing about two years of barnacles
and seagrass, I found myself staring at a big crack. When I unbolted the removeable (4 bolts) transom piece it turned out it also was cracked in two.
So here is how I fixed it, in case anybody in the list is in the same predicament.
First I went to Shell Lumber
here in Miai and bought a 1/2 inch thick 1ftx2ft section of starboard. Since most glue would be susptect with this type of plastic, I relied on mechanical fastening.
I am trying to upload pictus from my ipad
but I cannot figure out how to get all 6 of them, it only shows one
. Anyways, i made to side templates out of the starboard and fastenthem with #10 one inch SS screws, 3 on each side, to provide rgidity to the transom plate. Then took the rest of the sttarboard and created a long piece to create a larger plate and spread the loads. finally created a cavity in the back and inserted another piece of starboard to create a sanwich bolted with #10 3 inch long bolts and nuts.
The transom is now quite rigid and will get now an outboard
will be to create "false" inflatable
rings to reduce how tippy this tender
is. The original tubes cost $750 and I think by 1/2 inch using blue foam insulation
glued with epoxy
on 3 layers, and shaping them round, I can probably get this done for less than $60... Will see is that is true