Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-03-2010, 10:03   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
when you guys write 'hoist' as a noun, what you really mean is what they call a 'davit', right?
Sort of...A davit really would be one of a pair, otherwise its a crane. So, all davits are hoists but not all hoists are davits (like, all functions are relations but not all relations are functions...or is it the other way around? yikes high school calculus! haha). In this case, by 'hoist' or 'lift' what people basically mean is a crane. A small, removable crane.

Now that I think about it, it does get swampy....a pair of hoists working to lift the same load would almost always be called a set of davits. However, a single fixed davit arm would almost never be called a crane unless it was able to rotate....

Now I'm scratching my head...good question.
Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. Over 40 years of Marine Innovation, Quality and Craftsmanship
Davits, Hatches, Ports, Hatch Repairs, Motor Lifts, Arches/Hardtops and Custom Designs |
Benjamaphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate
G'Day Joe,

First, the practice of towing the dink is just bad seamanship -- having said that, we've towed all of our dinghies at times, often in conditions where we shouldn't have. So far we've been lucky. But towing with a big motor on increases the risk considerably, and the additional drag (at least on our boat) is very noticeable, so I for one would suggest that you develop a means of removing the motor that doesn't strain back, mind or wallet.

We've dealt with a series of 15 hp 2-stroke o/b motors over the years, weights around 75 +/- lbs. Our method is to tie the dink alongside at the shrouds, attach the halyard via a simple harness stitched up out of 1 inch webbing (that stays on the motor) and then lift the motor off the transom. Once clear, I start walking aft, pushing the motor ahead of me until I reach the bracket which is on the outside of the stern rail. Meanwhile, Ann has wound the halyard up a couple of feet, matching a mark on the line to one on the mast. This brings the o/b's mount just above the bracket, I hold it in place and she eases it down in place.

The bracket is made up out of marine ply and is held on to the rail with u-bolts.

Reversing this process gets it back on the dinghy without strain. The only difficulty is if there is a big chop running and the dinghy is bouncing... then some cooperation and timing is necessary! It's a good exercise in marital relationhips! I have done it solo, but it is much easier with two.

IMO, doing all this with the dink amidships where the boat motion is minimal is better than at the stern where motion from pitching is greatest. The dedicated hoist at the stern is not only expensive, but adds just that bit more weight in the far end of the boat and that much more stuff in the way of other activities.

Good luck with it all.

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Church Point, NSW, Oz

Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: