Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2010, 18:17   #1

Boat: PETERSON 44
Refrigeration and Freon

I lost my refer on a short cruise recently. I think my charge is .9 grams of refrigerant. I hold a 608 and now a 609 license. So can buy freon. While I couldn't find a can of 134a in a marina I know Ive seen it sold in automotive stores.The marinas say you can't buy it so they don't stock it. On line I can find sll sorts of refrigerant for sale in small cans. That wasn't doing me any good though. I have vacumm pumps and recovery units and carry a small torch set but cant easily find freon while cruising. The laws are weird so there is a discussion and the availability is hard. What is the most common refrigerant world wide which refigerant is the best for long range cruising. IS R-12 the most efficient. Were talking very small quantities and the laws were targeted tword units that hold lbs and sometimes hundreds of pounds.
One thread got hijacked so I thought I would try to learn some more with out disrupting the later ops question.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 19:17   #2

0.9 grams? A quarter spoonful? 0.9 kilograms maybe?

I just bought a big bottle of R-134a here in Malaysia. No permit needed, as this is a free country ;-) All the typical refrigerants are available over-the-counter in most any city.

You need to find the leak though. Just had mine fixed. The high-side fill cap was suspect, and the Aeroquip (sp) fittings had all loosened up a bit. Serviceman said the tubes must be supported everywhere and close to the fittings as vibration will loosen everything. They were not supported at all.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 20:16   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 38
My Experience

Has been, I have been able to purchase REFRIGERANT R-12 off the shelf on any island I've been on in the Caribbean except for the Cayman Islands, if it was required.

I would say to stay with an R-12 system, if you have one, it is way more efficient than any of the new gases, and the Montreal protocol requires it still be available for developing & third world countries. No disrespect
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 22:46   #4

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mate. All the major refrigerants are available down under here in New Zealand. If your system is R-134a, you can easily get cans in any of the automative shops in the U.S. A word of caution if you switch to R-12, make sure the oil presently in your compressor is compatible. A compressor set up to run on R-134a generally, but not always, can not simply be converted to R-12 without changing the oil. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration