Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2015, 17:28   #1

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Reflective Piping on Dinghy Cover

Hi, Guys,

It's kind of exciting, the first thread I've ever started! The other day, I top-stitched reflective piping around the outer hem of our dinghy cover, sewing on the inside with just the piping exposed.

I have to confess I've forgotten how to find the sewing group, which might be the better place to post this, but thought I'd like to share the picture we took of the finished product the other night. I really like the idea of the dinghy being so easy to spot by flashlight. You can even see the reflection of it in the water.

If I were to do it again, I would make a faced hem, with the piping sewn on using the method it is inserted in seams. However, our cover was already made, so I retrofitted it.

If you have any questions about it, please ask them here or PM me.

Ann
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1181.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	104131  
Old 23-06-2015, 17:37   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Reflective Piping on Dinghy Cover

Nicely done. That reflective material works a treat!

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 17:39   #3

Yes, it's wonderful material. As it's just an experiment, I have no idea how well it will hold up to 24/7 exposure. We'll see.

Thanks for the response.

Ann
Old 23-06-2015, 18:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your first thread is a good one.

May I suggest:

Closeup photo of the work.
Photo with the dinghy lit by a torch with no bright lights behind or beyond or shing to camera.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 20:54   #5

You're right on both counts. I didn't even think of a close up of the work. It's just basic top-stitching. It would have been better to have a picture of the piping at work in a pitch black anchorage. However, we're in a marina, stuck into numerous boat jobs, hence unlikely to have that opportunity for a while. In this marina heaps of lights in most directions. Still, I think it is telling that the reflection of the piping in the water below is also quite bright.
Old 24-06-2015, 07:42   #6

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Carried this a step further and have a strip of reflective tape high up on both sides of Mast. I chose a dot-dash-dot pattern so I know MY boat in the anchorage. Also for moderate $$$ you can buy reflective paint and the reflective glass beads that they use on pavement. I painted the dink's Name on each side, same idea. Russ
Old 24-06-2015, 07:44   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Great idea, Ann.

Where did you source your reflective piping from?

Cheers!
Old 24-06-2015, 08:58   #8

Boat: Halmatic Nelson 40

Great idea and super job ... The previous owner of our last sailboat had a good idea (I think). He had put reflective tape between the toe rail and the rubrail. It wasn't noticeable during the day at all but it really was great at night.
thebootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 09:46   #9

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

My first thought is that this would be great on the Bimini as well. Nice job and a very good idea.
PuttingDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:50   #10

wrwakefield, and everybody,

I Google searched on reflective piping, and had alibaba send it to me. Delivery time was about 3 weeks. Red, Green and Yellow were also available. The piping, itself, is relatively inexpensive. My main concern with it is that is is clothing grade, and I don't know how well it well hold up. One could use the Solas tape, I'm sure it would hold up (spots on our outboard have held up okay for 8 yrs), but it is both expensive, and a pain to sew through the glue--have to stop stitching and keep cleaning the needle.

For someone doesn't sew but who likes the concept, they could have the maker of their "chaps" incorporate it.

As to other uses for reflective tape, I agree, the stripe below the toerail approach looks really neat, and make the mother ship more visible in the anchorage, as do the reflective tape bits on the mast.

Thanks for your responses.

Ann
Old 24-06-2015, 14:02   #11

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Here's a video, for those who aren't familiar with the subject. In the States, you can buy reflective piping at Jo-Anns Fabric stores or Graingers.

Or, in sew-on tape form at Graingers: http://www.grainger.com/product/3WJU...150624210349:s
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 15:25   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like to reflect…

So, on my favorite sailing jacket (not a foul weather coat) I sewed a strip of 1" wide reflective tape (fabric, not plastic) along the edge of the collar. You can see it at the top of the standup collar in my avatar. While that photo does not show it reflecting brightly, it usually did shine brightly compared to the yellow jacket when a light was shown on it such as a flashlight from some distance in the dark. The fabric was soft (not consisting of plastic panels) and comfortable, like a ribbon of silver. It lasted for years with constant wear (my favorite jacket on or off the boat).
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 08:05   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Thank you, Anne.

In researching reflective tape, I ran across 3M's industrial offerings in case anyone is interested...

The "Cast Iron" looks interesting in that it appears flat black during the day but reflects back white under direct light at night... (No blinding reflections from the sun during the day...)

Cheers!
Old 25-06-2015, 08:32   #14

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

wrwakefield, thank you! I see they make a 15 foot roll at a very good price for the sew-on 1 1/2 inch version. That's just what I'm looking for to sew on my RIB chaps.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:06   #15

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Nice Ann, I imagine that you won't have any trouble finding your dink should it go on walkabout again, knock on wood.

Another variant of the reflective material, is that you can get 3mm cord, with say, pieces about 3-4mm long. Spaced at somewhere in the neighborhood of every 8cm or so.
It was oringinally developed for the guy wires on backpacking tents, so that you don't trip over the ropes leading to the stakes, holding things up. That, & so that you can find your tent at night.

I'd imagine that it'd make good anchor chain depth markers, so that it'd be easy to tell how much you'd let out or winched up,, in the dark.

I find it handy for shackle lanyards, & other similar, key bits, which normally are tough to see on dark nights.

Also, not to steal the thread, but there are several threads on the use of the reflective/SOLAS tape for productive uses akin to that on Ann & Jim's dinghy. It Truly has some handy uses... Ask me how I know.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy