Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 19:58   #1

Boat: 2000 Jeanneau, 45.2
recommendations for dinghy anchor

Need a dinghy anchor, for securing at the beach and for safety if outboard fails. Dinghy is 10'6" high pressure floor, so I am concerned about puncturing the floor while stored aboard and bouncing while underway. I have seen folding grapnel type anchors, but am not sure they are all that effective? What are you using and/or would recommend?
Jeanneau 45.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 20:02   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: recommendations for dinghy anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanneau 45.2 View Post
Need a dinghy anchor, for securing at the beach and for safety if outboard fails. Dinghy is 10'6" high pressure floor, so I am concerned about puncturing the floor while stored aboard and bouncing while underway. I have seen folding grapnel type anchors, but am not sure they are all that effective? What are you using and/or would recommend?
Mantus Dingy. Works just like a full size new gen anchor, but smaller.

A 4-pound claw is another nice choice. Less holding, but no sharp corners and inexpensive. A real anchor.

I suggest you fit a box under the seat. There is no metal anchor that will be safe bouncing around!
Old 19-12-2017, 20:47   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

To put it into numbers:
Grapnel Anchor, Holding power and effectives

The results of the tests may be paraphrased as follows.(results of 9 tests) If the holding power of a traditional fisherman anchor is assessed at 100%, then:
A folding grapnel scores - 60 %.
For example: CQR plow anchor scores 240 %, Danforth 250 %, Delta 270 %, high tensile Danforth version 540 %, and Fortress 560 %.

OK as a dinghy lunch hook in good weather and for use as a pick on the beach, but I wouldn't rely on one "for safety if the engine fails". There are far better alternatives such as the Mantus Dinghy Anchor which is collapsible and fits in a storage bag.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 21:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I've used both the folding grapnel and the baby claw. The baby claw is better. I imagine the little mantus is just as good or better. I put a couple feet of 3/16 chain on it as well.

I know, don't say it, my anchor is too small, it's the wrong kind and I don't have enough chain!
Old 19-12-2017, 21:31   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We used, or tried to use a folding grapnel for a while. Bloody useless unless you could dig it in by hand. Now use a 2 kg Danforth copy which is better but not reliable as to setting in many bottoms. We often anchor the dink in corally areas whilst we go snorkeling, and so have ~10 meters of 3/16 inch chain before some 20 meters of 6 mm dacron double braid rode.

I'd be really happy to try the little Mantus... suspect it would set far better.

Jim
Old 19-12-2017, 21:37   #6

Very happy with the Cooper 1 Kg Nylon anchor after chucking the rusty old one in the bin.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 21:48   #7

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I have an Avon 320 Lite RIB with 8 hp Yamaha. Used the claw anchor for years, but it'll drag in a moderate wind with dinghy loaded. Purchased the Mantus dinghy anchor to use on our extended cruise. It worked extremely well. Wish I have never messed with the small claw. The grapnel anchor is probably only good for a kayak!

The Mantus has a rubber cover that slips over the point. I purchased the kit, that comes with nylon rode and a bag. If you are worried about puncture, you can slip on the tip and put anchor in the bag. With my RIB floor, and less worried about that.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 22:00   #8

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m

Mantus on a bit of chain and a anchor buddy on the bow and a cooper on the stern, Mantus bites like a pit bull. Cooper not quite as good but no rattles. Mantus comes with a little rubber thingy that fits over point.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 06:16   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

A 4-pound claw is another nice choice. Less holding, but no sharp corners and inexpensive. A real anchor.

I suggest you fit a box under the seat. There is no metal anchor that will be safe bouncing around!
I'll second the recommendation for the Mantus dinghy anchor. Love mine and a lot less worry that the dink will blow away while I'm 100 M away snorkeling.

And yes, get some kind of storage. You can get nice bags that hang under the seat or if you don't have bench seats in the dink get a small box that will hold the anchor (and other stuff) and will work for a seat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 06:27   #10
cruiser

We've been using a folding Grapnel anchor for 8 years, no problems, cheap and easy to use. Won't puncture your dinghy when folded. The recommendation by a previous poster to attach a few feet of chain sounds like a good idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A71EE753-7ADE-4981-8DDC-E54D8B09F5FC.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	160769  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 07:12   #11

Boat: Tartan 37

I used a folding grappling hook with no chain. That or the claw may be a good choice for you since your dingy is very light and air bottom. They fold up, some have bags, we use 50ft line for beaches and can add another 50ft for snorkeling. There isn't a whole lot of surface area, but works most of the time for me.

Growing in Norfolk Va, we would get some great surplus items. One item I came across, was a folding stainless steel Northhill anchor used on WWII seaplanes. We used them on racing boats were weight matters. It was very well made, lightweight just over 10lbs, and had great holding power equal to a 35lb. Wish someone could do a better job with folding dingy anchors.

You talk about needed it when the outboard fails, that might be less than 1% of it's use. You'll use it most of the time to anchor off a beach, keeping the dinghy off a dock, anchor for snorkeling and mostly in less than 3ft of water.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 07:30   #12
cruiser

If it's windy and we’re going to be away from the dinghy for a while, we also have a 20 pound folding Fishermans anchor, but it's generally too large to lug around in the dinghy 100% of the time. We take it out for special occasions, otherwise the folding grapnel works fine.
Attached Images

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 08:18   #13

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post

^^^This. You can also use a half-height food-grade bucket of the type restaurants use for pickles or mayo or even a cat litter container. Coil down the rode line (1/4 or 3/8 inch three-strand is fine with a short chain leader and put the anchor in the middle. Put a couple of drain holes in the bottom to drain out the rain and spray. Lash the handle to the seat when underway. Remove when off the boat so it doesn't go walkies.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 08:27   #14

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The folding grapnel type was good for fishing out bicycles which fell of the dock, but useless as a dinghy anchor. A small danforth will provide many times the holding power, which you will need to keep the dinghy off a fixed dock in a seaway.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 08:33   #15

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I use a 5lb (or is it 10?) mushroom. No sharp edges.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, dinghy, men