Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 20:49   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Pistol,

It is embarrassing to admit personal prejudices that modify my behavior, but I must say that (blush) I'd be unlikely to seek out your company with a happy hour invitation if you had one of those things hanging from your davits. It would establish a negative mind set in many cruisers, so I'll second the thought that it is a bad idea.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-12-2010, 21:24   #17

Boat: Islander 36
Hence the .

Yes, you are getting a lot of negative about the idea. Not such a popular plan in the cruising community. Aside from the "what was that guy thinking?" perspective, there are several reasons why it would be very difficult to make it practical.

If you find yourself in a place where they are legal, think about renting one and being done with it rather than carting it around. But the "go fast" dink is largely the cruisers PWC of choice.
Old 09-12-2010, 00:55   #18

Boat: On the lookout for a PDQ36 :D
Wow, thanks for all the responses!

@ozskipper&skipmac- can you estimate how much this would affect cruising comfort? i.e. hull slapping, etc.. would countering the weight on the bow be a possibility? I will try to find more specifics on the davits.

Because I will use it for wakeboard towing, I need something around 90hp and good maneuverability. I haven't come across a suitable RIB or similar alternative yet (except maybe the williams 285 turbojet but that's 290kg and 24k Euro!)- The gibbs quadski would be nice too but again, too heavy and too expensive.

I will probably get an inflatable motorless dink if I'm cruising somewhere PWCs aren't allowed. I'm sorry to hear that there's so much negative press about jet skis in the cruising community. I am a considerate person and would never disturb others in anchorage. I have seen many motoryachts carrying PWCs, but I suppose they're not held to the same standards as sailors
pistolen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolen08 View Post
... Because I will use it for wakeboard towing...
... I am a considerate person and would never disturb others in anchorage...
Where are you going to be operating your 90 HP, that won't be disturbing?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:08   #20

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Where are you going to be operating your 90 HP, that won't be disturbing?
OK, Gord has broken the ice up a little bit more here. So I'm going to ask, are you sure you can deal with going slow on a saliboat?

".... wakeboard towing, ....90hp... williams 285 turbojet ......gibbs quadski......"

I for one, don't have any idea what a Williams 250 turbojet or a Gibbs Quadski really are, but they don't sound like the normal types of sailor toys. So I wonder if the sailboat attraction is about saving money (don't count on it) on fuel or about the love of sailing? Please don't take my points as swipes at you or your ideas. Just wondering what's really driving your desire to be on a sailboat if your looking at toys that aren't particularly compatable with sailing.

As mentioned before, sailors get their "go fast fix" on inflatables/RIBs. They are also know for getting all giggley in sailing dingys,... silently terrorizing the anchorage when knowbody even knows their being terrorized.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:35   #21

Boat: On the lookout for a PDQ36 :D
Haha you guys are getting the wrong idea. Yes I like going fast but I also love sailing too. I think you'd also agree that at full sail it doesn't feel like you're going very "slow". I've been sailing since I was a child as with other sports (wakeboarding for example). I don't think it's wrong to try to combine things I enjoy especially when I'm already on the water.

Anyway, I spoke with a yacht broker here in Japan and he recommended a Nick Jackson transom mounted davit system. Judging by the pictures it looks a lot more sturdy than the aluminium PDQ factory option and it's rated to 500lbs. Any reviews or tips to share?

http://www.nickjacksonco.com/500-TM.htm
pistolen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:51   #22

$ounds like a yacht broker who is motivated to give you what you a$k for and let you worry about how it work$ out.

You're being a really good sport about it in light of all the "don't go there" responses. Good luck

Tags
pwc