Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 16:00   #1

Boat: Gullfstar 50
PTO-Driven SCUBA Compressor

I am doing some research on dive tank compressors that are PTO driven off of the main. There are plenty of stand alone systems, but I have found little information on compressor heads that are driven from another source.
I have a good feeling that this forum will provide some good avenues to follow to find what I am looking for.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-07-2010, 16:36   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
I am doing some research on dive tank compressors that are PTO driven off of the main. There are plenty of stand alone systems, but I have found little information on compressor heads that are driven from another source.
I have a good feeling that this forum will provide some good avenues to follow to find what I am looking for.
Thanks ahead of time.
You might want to check this thread:

WTB portable scuba compressor - ScubaBoard

The Max Air 35 can be run in electric mode (sans the 5.5HP Honda engine). It takes ~30 minutes to fill to 3,000 and the more time you spend at the higher pressure fills is what eats up your compressor the most. So getting from 3000 to 3100 puts as much wear as getting from 2000 to 3000, ballpark.

The Max-Air 35 Portable Air Compressor
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 16:39   #3

Here's the electric Max Air 35:

Max-Air | SCUBA recharge air, SCUBA refill station, scuba air

Note that it's 29 amps at 120v. That's a decent amount of power.
Old 01-07-2010, 16:51   #4

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Maxair

I have the Maxair 35 driven by a Honda 5.5. Great little compressor for casual use. If you're handy it would be a small feat to interface with PTO but the biggest problem would be the other enemy of compressors, HEAT. Requires much ventilation to dissipate compression generated heat, particularly if you need to fill multiple bottles. You could look for a more robust model but even these little pumps are pricey for most folks. The best solution would be the electric version and a genset capable of the wattage repuired to run it and just pull it on deck when needed and plug it in. Just takes $$$.
Old 01-07-2010, 18:16   #5

What's a ballpark $$$ for maxair 35?
nettlesbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 18:38   #6

I think.....

I think I paid around 3kus but I really don't remember. It was rolled in with a new DUI dry suit. My girl (now wife for obvious reasons) said "as long as you're going to finance the suit you might as well buy that compressor too". Gotta love that girl! The electric version should be less I would think but if you google it k2scuba.com has it for about 3100us.
Old 01-07-2010, 21:54   #7

I thought you could actually make a couple of bucks filling up tanks, if you somehow found people who had their own tanks and there was no other dive shop around. Probably better ways to invest 3K.
Old 01-07-2010, 22:59   #8

Not really

Scuba air is not a wide margin deal. Dive shops pretty much break even on air what with compressor maintinance and all. Even with your own pump it works out to be about the same wampum per fill given the cost of oil and filters. I only have one because there are no dive shops within 40 miles of my house and thier closing time is incongruent to my quiting time at work, weekends I'm on the boat so I'm better off just doing my own fills and tank maintinance (other than hydro), hey, it's only money.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:20   #9

Boat: finally a catamaran dive boat...
Send a message via MSN to cdennyb Send a message via Skype™ to cdennyb
You can attach a mag clutch to the compressor drive on the engine, an overrun clutch on the compressor itself and when you want to pump air, flip the switch and the mag clutch engages, like an A/C compressor has, and when you're done, flip it off and the over-run clutch on the scuba air compressor spins freely.
Helped install one on my friends boat. Incredible. I have the Max Air 35 in the Honda version and use it quite alot. I pump Nitrox (many different percents up to 40% as necessary for a specific dive) and mixed gases up to 35/30 trimix.
I paid $3500 for a brand new version 4 years ago.
I buy air filter cartridges and change it after every 30 tank fulls of plain air, less if I pump the other stuff.
Old 02-07-2010, 15:20   #10

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Anyone had experience with the Stewart Warner 4 cfm, 3500 psi? As it is DOD approved, it looks double tough and bullet proof. The price is not too bad as well.

Stewart Warner compressor $1650.00

Tags
compressor, scuba