Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-06-2014, 13:15   #1

Boat: 1984 Slocum 43
Portland Pudgy in PNW anyone?

We are very interested in upgrading to a Portland Pudgy for the foredeck of our 43ft double-ender but we're concerned about sight-lines from the helm.

Anybody know of one in the Pacific NW that we could visit and see?
Know of anyone who stores their Pudgy on the foredeck of a monohull?

Old 22-06-2014, 20:12   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Portland Pudgy in PNW anyone?

Anything on the cabin top or foredeck that sticks up will affect your forward site. You'll get used to whatever you put up there but will lose the ability to survey all areas forward while seated in the cockpit. I've got an 8' sailing dink forward of the mast. It does block the view directly forward and to the opposite of where the helmsman is sitting. It's really no worse than having the dodger up, though. Even though there are plastic windows in the dodger, just can't get used to looking through the dodger and almost always stand and look over it when at the helm. I've just changed my look out habits to get around the obstruction of the dodger and dinghy. You can probably do the same but can't see the Portland Pudgy being worse than a dodger. It will be bigger and bulkier than almost any other dinghy you will put up there, however.

You might make up a cardboard mockup of the stern of the Pudgy from the published dimensions. Mount it with duct tape and take the boat out to see if you can live with it. Other boats with the dinghy may not be a good comparison for what your boat will be like.

Old 22-06-2014, 21:42   #3

Thank you for your input Peter, we appreciate it.
Old 23-06-2014, 07:19   #4

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
making a mockup of the stern is a great idea. I don't know if you've heard of a Whaly. they look like an inflatable but are roto-molded. The 270 is if I remember correctly 8 foot 6 inches. I've been looking for one in Miami, they're hard to find. But I think that it's far superior to the pudgy. Edit. I just did the conversion 2.7 meters is 8 foot 10 inches
Old 23-06-2014, 07:32   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I usually carry two kyacks on the fore deck during trips north. Forward vision is restricted from the inside conning station. I worry about logs and crab pots so I end up either outside at the tiller or up and down the companion way ladder all day. You would think it would get me in shape! Not so much though. I can appreciate why you would want a hard bottom dink. Its only a matter of time till a soft one is holed pulling it up on the beach.
Old 23-06-2014, 08:24   #6

Thanks Sparrowhawk. Our main reason for seriously considering the Pudgy is that we would like a dink that we can use as a sailing dinghy and as a life raft. The Pudgy has some excellent qualities as a tender, fun sailing dink, and life raft features. The only downsides to it are the price and the height (27") at the keel.

We do have a dodger, and as Peter said, it already does a good job of hindering the view, so I'm thinking that the Pudgy wouldn't be much, if any more of a hindrance. I talked with the founder of the company and he said that the bottom of the boat slopes off very quickly from the keel. So the true "blocking" height might be 24" or so.
Old 23-06-2014, 11:10   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

This forum has had some spirited discussions about the pudgy in the past. For those that use it cruising: how well does it row? As well as a regular dingy or better than a rib? Any comments welcome. I'm thinking about one too.
Old 23-06-2014, 11:53   #8

Newt, since we have nearly identical boats, whoever gets the Pudgy first gets to show the other how it works out. ;-)

From the videos I've seen on Youtube, the Pudgy seems to row and sail very nicely:
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...tland+pudgy%22
Old 11-01-2015, 18:29   #9

Boat: Radford 40

for those who want feedback on the Portland Pudgy, I have had mine for over four years cruising east coast US and the Windward and Leeward Islands. Before the pudgy, I had n Avon Redcrest which served well in ten year trip from Australia to the Caribbean.

I love my pudgy for most of the reasons you would expect. Durability comes first, no more pumping up leaking pontoons; less worries about concrete jetties, barnacle encrusted shore lines, etc. Also, I know that as my life raft, she will float, no worries about inflation of tubes, etc.

Well thought out design, good quality materials ( the transom bracket design has been changed to fix flexing stress cracks seen in the in older bots, mine included) to my knowledge this is the only real problem design wise.

rows well with one person, ok with two, three or four people; not unexpectedly, the heavier the load, the more effort needed.

Performance under sail, especially to windward is sub par, do not buy this dingy for fun day sailing, but it will do the job in survival situation if you do not wish to go to weather. one issue with sailing the pudgy is where to sit, no good solution.

Operation under power is fine, I used a 2hp, 4 stroke Honda until it died last month, the new 3.5 hp, 2 stroke nissan I am using now also works well and is cheaper, but do not expect this dingy to get you anywhere in a hurry.

the canopy works well, is relatively easy to install, but I would hate to do it in any sort of wind. I did not purchase the dingy cover, so not comments there.

I have davits, I purchased the lifting harness and cross straps, they work fine but as one might expect, each mother ship has is different davit arrangements and some modifications were necessary. send me a note and I will give specifics.

cons are, the pudgy is heavy so pulling up on beach is an issue. another con is that when there is light chop, the pudgy is not dry boat, much like my Avon Redcrest. Another con, she is uncomfortable to get into after snorkeling, so this dingy might not be good choice for avid scuba divers.

for me, the plusses out way the minuses by huge factor, but it is not a dingy for your typical charter or weekend party crowd that want to zip around the anchorage!

Tags
portland, portland pudgy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: