Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2017, 07:25   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 45'
Portable dive tank compressor - which one?

We live aboard cruising throughout Mexico and south. We have 2 tanks on board but no compressor. Next season we will go to the Socorro Islands to dive and there are no services for refill. So we are looking to add a portable dive compressor. We could go gas or 110v AC, either way. I have looked online and am finding they are fairly expensive, around $3k. I would love to hear some suggestions about which ones are recommended and why. We are a 1988 Hunter Legend 45. The lazarette could handle a portable unit. Thoughts?
Old 16-02-2017, 08:28   #2

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Portable dive tank compressor - which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paccrest View Post
We live aboard cruising throughout Mexico and south. We have 2 tanks on board but no compressor. Next season we will go to the Socorro Islands to dive and there are no services for refill. So we are looking to add a portable dive compressor. We could go gas or 110v AC, either way. I have looked online and am finding they are fairly expensive, around $3k. I would love to hear some suggestions about which ones are recommended and why. We are a 1988 Hunter Legend 45. The lazarette could handle a portable unit. Thoughts?
From a European perspective a Bauer Junior or Coltrisub are good options (they may be available in the states). both small and can be manhandled single handed (just about.....) personally I would go petrol, but Im not expecting to have a genny with enough guts to power an electric version.

Check out scuba board, plenty of people on there who have systems, and also a fairly decent number avaliable second hand.

Mind if you're going to socorro/cocos/up Baja etc take enough spare oil and filters.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 09:05   #3

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Hookah DIY

Here’s the final details of our Hookah DIY, if it may help other CF members.

1) California Air Tools 2010ALFC Ultra Quiet, Oil-Free & Lightweight.
1.0 hp Industrial Air Compressor, 2.0 gallon, 35 lbs $255
4.00 CFM at 40 PSI & 3.00 CFM at 90 PSI; Max 125 PSI. Ultra Quiet 60 decibels
4000 hour motor life. MP100LF motor/pump. 110V 60 Hz - 7.6 Amps. 1400 RPM
2.0 Gallon Aluminum (Rust-Free) Air Tank.
L (17.3") x W (14.2") x H (14.6")

2) Campbell Hausfeld MP513803av filter / water separator $16.29

3) 75 foot certified air breathing hose scuba/ hookah with Cressi regulator with Walmec quick connects.
Cressi Octopus XS2 is a 2nd stage with adjustable air flow. From GatorGillunit.com $289

4) 360 Degree Swivel Scuba Diving 2nd Stage Octo Regulator Adapter $25 on ebay

I get 2 minutes of breathing just from what’s in the 2 gal. tank before the compressor starts to fill again.

This compressor is so amazingly quiet.

Note: You could save another $100 if you purchased the California Air Tools 2010A instead of the 2010ALFC Industrial Series

Total cost of this Hookah ,DIY was $585
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar-1.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	141407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar-2.jpg
Views:	2272
Size:	395.2 KB
ID:	141408  

Name:	Cotemar-3.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	399.4 KB
ID:	141409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar-4.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	141410  

Name:	Cotemar-5.jpg
Views:	765
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	141411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Campbell Hausfeld MP513810AV.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	141412  

Name:	360 Degree swivel-1.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	141413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cotemar-15.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	141414  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:18   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 45'
Re: Hookah DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

3) 75 foot certified air breathing hose scuba/ hookah with Cressi regulator with Walmec quick connects.
Cressi Octopus XS2 is a 2nd stage with adjustable air flow. From GatorGillunit.com $289

I get 2 minutes of breathing just from what’s in the 2 gal. tank before the compressor starts to fill again.

Note: You could save another $100 if you purchased the California Air Tools 2010A instead of the 2010ALFC Industrial Series

Thanks but not looking for a Hooka. Looking for a tank compressor.
Old 16-02-2017, 11:28   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe the Bauer's are usually considered the best, but you pay for it too. the electric ones I think take a large generator, but if I had the generator I would go electric, I would only go gas myself if I didn't have enough generator.
I would be very careful mounting it in the lazarette, they need regular servicing and I think cooling air, maybe could leave the hatch open and worst case blow a fan on it?

I'd want four tanks too if two people are diving, and I only dive steel, being an older guy I don't like lugging around all the weight aluminum tanks require
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 11:55   #6

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Bauer is the best and I have 2. My old Bauer was built in 1981. I used it in my dive shop full time in the 90's and it's still pumping like mad.

I bought a new one late last year to fit in my Leopard 40 cat. They are expensive so if you are on a budget look for a 2nd hand one.

Coltri sub tend to run hotter and will not last as long
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 23:38   #7

Boat: Allied 39

Hi Brett

I can't add any advice on the compressor but will say that the dive boats you will see every 10 days or so will fill tanks for you and take your trash if you ask them nicely.

We spent 2 seasons out there and loved it. We wrote a short cruising guide on both Socorro and Beneditco for folks coming behind us. The information on obtaining a cruising permit is way out of date but maybe you can find a couple things that might add to your list of info.

The only place we have found the friendly Manta rays. Wonderful experience!

See our website in "Other Good Stuff" for the out of date guide.

Have a great trip

Chuck
Jacaranda
Tahiti
Old 16-02-2017, 23:51   #8

Boat: J/42

We always take one tank per person on friends boats with the compressor. No room for more! Maybe if there are only two on board, two tanks would be ok... I have to admit I'm thinking of going over to a 12V hookah rig for my little boat. But on a 45'er, I'd be thinking electric compressor and generator.

Dunno... stuff within hookah range, I'd rather do free diving anyway. But I don't seem to be getting any younger...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 08:24   #9

Boat: KP 46

I have a Bauer Utilus 10. I carried it in the laz of my HR and it worked fine. It is capable of 110 220 or gas motor (frame has a mount for pretty much anything). I have a 110/220 motor on it now, also an adapter to do DIN fittings.

I have it in my garage now and use it to occasionally fill my dive tanks but I am looking to sell it. It is a good unit, has new filters and I have probably made 100 fills with it in total.

Give me a pm and see if we can work out a deal.

Michael

PS. you can download the manual for it here if you would like:
VARIUS, PURUS, UTILUS 10
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 08:29   #10

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Been diving for 35 years. Bauer is defintely the best and especially so in the portable sizes.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 08:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post

I have the 4610A, same as yours except it has dual Aluminum tanks.

70AMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 08:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paccrest View Post
Thanks but not looking for a Hooka. Looking for a tank compressor.
I will be looking for a hookah very soon & this looks very nice.You said 75 ft hose.. but you didn't say how deep? One could assume 60 ft or so safe? Also what changes would really be necessary to setup another line for a buddy? This might still be great for hull maintenance! But that's all I can see using it for if you can't push enough volume for two. How does that go? I remember something about never dive alone! Anyone have any info on a small cheep emergency air tank? Something like you could have on your dive belt if something goes wrong with hookah? I think I remember seeing something but don't remember where...I am not a diver but I wonder if breathing compressed air & say you had to blow & come up because something happens to the hookah at 60ft.I am thinking that's not a good idea....I have free dived 60ft & blow up to surface no problems, but don't have any training on compressed air...Divers,what do you say?
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 08:51   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Hmm. I have an Onan 7,5Kw genny and looking for a diving kompressor aggregate.
Was searching for months without any success.

Any ideas for me?
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:01   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I will be looking for a hookah very soon & this looks very nice.You said 75 ft hose.. but you didn't say how deep? One could assume 60 ft or so safe? Also what changes would really be necessary to setup another line for a buddy? This might still be great for hull maintenance! But that's all I can see using it for if you can't push enough volume for two. How does that go? I remember something about never dive alone! Anyone have any info on a small cheep emergency air tank? Something like you could have on your dive belt if something goes wrong with hookah? I think I remember seeing something but don't remember where...I am not a diver but I wonder if breathing compressed air & say you had to blow & come up because something happens to the hookah at 60ft.I am thinking that's not a good idea....I have free dived 60ft & blow up to surface no problems, but don't have any training on compressed air...Divers,what do you say?
If you have no dive training at all I highly recommend taking classes and prefably getting certified before diving with a hookah. Breathing compressed gas has additional issues whether from a tank or a hookah hose. #1, never, never hold your breath. If you're used to freediving, have an issue even at 30' and blow up to the surface holding your breath you risk really serious injury. A big concern since holding your breath is the natural reflex action, especially if you have an air problem.

Regarding how many and how deep, will depend on the hookah. The quantity of air you inhale doubles from the surface to 32' and of course a second diver will also double air use. I dove with a buddy that had a hookah with double hoses, 30' each as I recall. At max depth I could feel more resistance breathing and could tell when he was inhaling on his hose. I tried to alternate inhaling while he exhaled. I doubled the hoses and took it to 60' and it was about the same one at 60' as two at 30'.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:05   #15

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post

Prolly needs its own thread. But I think portable hookah rigs are probably good to about 20 - 25 feet. Remember that old pressure/volume thingy. The extra line is for horizontal travel. Big thread over on Sailing Anarchy about home-brew hookah rigs, sometime last year I think.
I do dive alone a lot (or else I'd never dive!) but I'll probably get in trouble if I keep doing for another 30 years. I would actually rather have a buddy in a chase boat than a buddy on the bottom. Two up and two down is ideal, but hard to arrange.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor