Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2019, 03:56   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Porta-bote haters: what's not to like?

Drain plug in the bottom or transom?

Im assuming you lift the PB horizontally.

Do you leave the motor on?

Do you use a spreader bar?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:32   #47

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Drain plug in the bottom or transom?

Im assuming you lift the PB horizontally.

Do you leave the motor on?

Do you use a spreader bar?
Drain plug is recommended to be installed on the starboard side as far aft and down as possible. Definitely not in the transom. Lift via three lines. One from the forward grommets and one each from the two rear (to be installed) grommets meeting at the balance point near the middle seat. The new alpha model has an incorporated bar that extends from the transom to the rear seat which drastically reduces stress and forces exerted by the engine on the transom.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:21   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So you got these suggestions from PB?

I’m guessing the drain plug is for rain water.

We have our new Alpha still on the lifelines. Not gotten it we yet because I’m still running the old PB now that I’ve gotten the leak managable. I agree the new PB seems to be an improvement over the old.

What is the HP rating on your nameplate? Our new Alpha says 2, but PB said 6 and got very exercised when I said I had an 8. Although I’ve seen a few used for sale with 15 Suzuki’s that sounded like they came from the factory, as they had all bells and whistles and PB sells Suzuki.

When talking about “radically reducing forces on the transom are you talking about that gizmo that goes from the middle of the transom to the middle of the rear seat? If so I’m glad to hear you have good experience with it. I’ve not tried our Alpha yet and that was the one thing that looked questionalble to me and I suspected the split transom was the reason for the 2 HP rating.

That said I’m leary of the split transom, I’ve got a piece of aluminum plate I will slide between the transome and transom bladder. It will be held in place by the motor clamps and bridge the split. Distribute forces more evenly. I hope. Probably over kill.

I’ve no problem running an 8 HP and have never felt the need to reinforce the old style transom. I think if something were amiss it would show up as elongation if the holes where the transom bolts to the hull. I’ve seen no sign of that.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:38   #49

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Mfr's tend to understate what their boats are able to handle; 2HP is a typical for a small rowing craft.

That said, a two-stroke 6 and 8 often are the same weight. Alone, I can get more performance than I'm comfortable with from an ancient 6HP (Rich Boren can appreciate) on my 10'. However, an 8 would be nice if I had a load and the admiral aboard. Full snorkel gear and weights and us aboard with a full tank of gas still gets us about 15 knots from our 20+ YO 6, however.

PB (Sandy Kaye, the owner, is very approachable and will respond individually to emails) would very much rather you not overpower their dinks, but there used to be a youtube of someone who'd mounted a 15, which was an obvious overpower, but made for a very fast bote!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:08   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Skip,

Agree on all points. 15hp is more guts than I’ve got.

I did speak to Sandy at Annapolis once, very nice lady, and she graciously gave me some good advice on towing. It’s the guy you get when you call who is the issue.

I called to get some info on the Alpha, told him of our leak, and he got super defensive. Never got to ask about the Alpha. “I’ve got paying customers to talk to!” Click. I ended up buying my Alpha from the Canadian distributor. Who wasn’t much better.

Still love the PB.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:21   #51

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Skip,

Agree on all points. 15hp is more guts than I’ve got.

I did speak to Sandy at Annapolis once, very nice lady, and she graciously gave me some good advice on towing. It’s the guy you get when you call who is the issue.

I called to get some info on the Alpha, told him of our leak, and he got super defensive. Never got to ask about the Alpha. “I’ve got paying customers to talk to!” Click. I ended up buying my Alpha from the Canadian distributor. Who wasn’t much better.

Still love the PB.
Hm. Your response was a surprise; I've never had any other than cordial and helpful conversations with PB; I am surprised, however, as I thought Sandy was a man; conversation on the phone sound like that as well.

As to towing, and not mentioned that I saw anywhere in the thread, bailing, I have a really simple bridle I use on mine, and use a cut-off-bottom square jug or OJ bottle.

I stand as far forward as possible, for however much water is in the bote, and slosh like a piston, open end forward. Even LOTS of water gets evacuated quickly that way, and while it's not entirely dry, it gets rid of anything which would get the stuff in the bote wet (what little remains goes to the stern).

I modified my Bote to take sculling oars:
Pictures: Flying Pig Early Refit + Projects/Finishing_Touches-Readying_To_Splash/Porta-Bote_Maiden_Voyage_and_Sculling_Modifications
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:44   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, it was a while ago, but I was told the person I met at Annapolis was the Owner, her Father started the company and she was running it.

So that’s just the story I was told. When you said the Owner I assumed it was this nice older lady. IDK.

I do know several folks have complained about customer service and that fits my experience. I was pissed.

Towing, ditto, simple bridle. Snug up to the transom.

Bailing, Arizona Ice Tea gallon jug with bottom cut out. Think heavy duty milk jug.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:06   #53

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
An inflatable would pop the first time you tried to land it on a non sand beach me thinks and we plan on a lot of adventuring.
Sounds like you have never used an actual inflatable tender such as an Avon. Pick the small boat you like and that serves you best - but do it for real reasons.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:40   #54

Boat: Rafiki 37

Nice modification Skip. My factory oar locks are still going strong, but I’ve read it is another common failure, nor are they the best. But so far mine seem OK.

With regard to outboard size, my bote (the Genesis IV model) specifies a max. weight, not HP. I just looked at the online specs and this is what they list there as well.

It’s unfortunate to hear about poor customer service. I had an excellent experience with both the main office and the Canadian distributor, but this was over 15 years ago. I’ve had zero contact since then.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:57   #55

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

With regard to outboard size, my bote (the Genesis IV model) specifies a max. weight, not HP. I just looked at the online specs and this is what they list there as well.

It’s unfortunate to hear about poor customer service. I had an excellent experience with both the main office and the Canadian distributor, but this was over 15 years ago. I’ve had zero contact since then.
+1 on both statements. One item of note is that a 2 stroke 9.9 weighs the same as the Suzuki 6hp 4 stroke we bought through Porta Bote. Both fall within the assigned weight limit for the Bote. We thought about getting an older 9.9, but we're not racing. We had Ken out of IL as did a friend of ours and he was easy to deal with.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 12:25   #56

They fill a niche. They are not very rigid and I feel like I'm moving along on a rubber noodle. It's probably more of an aesthetic issue than a real one though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 13:05   #57
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes there is a case that the flexibility actually gives more functional stability.

Certainly seems easier to get self & stuff in and out of the water.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:09   #58
Marine Service Provider

Hi guys, for a slightly different approach to the same folding method check out Quick boats in Australia. This may sort a few of the issues people have with the wobbliness but no doubt create others.
Cheers
Quickboats - Folding Boats, No trailers, No storage hassles
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:08   #59
Marine Service Provider

The panels are made from foam and glass so they are much stiffer than the portabotes
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 07:20   #60

Boat: Allied Seabreeze 35 1998-2013

I bought one for transatlantic and trans-Mediterranean cruising because I didn't want to carry an outboard and gasoline, I wanted to row ashore, etc. Folded, it stored relatively compactly along the shrouds on my 35 foot Allied Seabreeze. I also carried a life raft, on deck. The seats take up a lot of space in lockers. And it was a struggle to put it back together on the deck. Once in the water, it was a fine dinghy. But if I had it to do over, I'd get a semi-rigid RIB.
jimcarrier is offline   Reply With Quote