Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2019, 09:18   #16

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Porta-bote haters: what's not to like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
I don’t have one, but have been helping a friend fix problems with his P bote. His transom cracked from the 5hp Tohatsu outboard and we had to reinforce it with aluminum plate. He complained about how hot the black plastic seats got in the Mexican sun, so he painted them white. The plastic doesn’t take paint well and mostly fell off so it looked like crap. It sank while they were at anchor when waves filled it. He was happy the bags of garbage he had on the P bote “dissappeared” during the sinking, the rest of us were appalled. From my own aesthetics (I like pretty boats (and young gals) the P Bote is as pleasing to the eye as boating in a plastic garbage can.
Ok, so one vote for not putting a larger motor on a PB than the mfg says is allowed, another for not painting poly seats and expecting the paint to stick and another for not leaving your dinghy where it gets swamped by waves.

Having owned one for decades, the pros for me are:

1. You can drag then over Coral, rocks, whatever and they survive just fine.
2. They store like a surfboard, out of the way.
3. They row pretty well
4. Dogs can't hurt them.
5. Tow great when tucked up to the stern.

Cons would be:

1. Butt ugly.
2. Thwarts add to what has to be stored when broken down.
3. Tow lousy when on a long painter.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:18   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
they row quite well. Probably not as well as a true solid dinghy, but they move very well under oar. This was one of the primary reasons I selected one. And they are designed to take a small sailing rig; a lateen rig. I have it, and have used it. It’s fun to play with, but very lightweight. I consider it a toy, but it does work.
Thanks for the videos. For getting us and stuff between mothership and shore, rowing or a little put put, seems OK for that then, given **very** limited stowage space on deck.

Don't mind wobbly long as not getting swamped, looks are a **very** low priority.

Sailing would just be for fun, exploring the shoreline shallows, visit a beach, picnic on an island, sort of things could otherwise use a kayak. To me that's not a "toy" use case?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:20   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
prefer the 10 ft family wagon for carrying loads and rowing
By that you mean the Walker Bay?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:30   #19

Boat: Hunter 386

I think the straw that broke the camel's back in Uma's case was they sunk it a few times in heavy tropical downpours. The added flotation of an inflatable would mean that no matter how full of water they wouldn't have to worry about it sinking again.

I guess monitoring the water level is a simple thing but...
Old 06-01-2019, 09:36   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Each to his own. PB’s are not perfect and not for everyone but they have their following. We have one on each boat.

Some few of them develop a leak in the transom membrane where it folds, right at the very bottom. I’ve one of them. You use butyl tape to fix it, my fix isn’t perfect so I get a bit of leak. Anyway I’m still nursing it along and it’s working fine. I’ve one more trick I’ve come up with to stop the leak totally but haven’t tried it yet.

Last spring, when leaving the boat in Grenada, I didn’t know if buytle tape would fix the leak or not, so I ordered a new PB. So ATM I have 2 PB’s aboard. I’m still squeezing the juice out of the old one, I’m cheap. The new PB addresses some of the problems noted, the transome is integral so stores with the PB. Still need to store seats. Seats are better, fit better. I think I will use a bit of either aluminum plate for plywood to give the transome some additional support for my 8hp 2 stroke.

On the old boat I filled the transome with great stuff to keep water out, added webbing to make the points fore and aft, I can town tow with it, and added real oarlocks so it does pretty well.

I’ve towed it something close to 2,000 miles. Probably times I should not have, but I’ve still got it. I’ve gotten in solo over the transome using the OB lower unit as a step.

There are times when I lust after a 10’ or 12’ aluminum hull RIB with a 15-20 HP to blast around the anchorage. Looks like great fun. But then you are talking 15k to 20k for a new setup, not 4K - 5k. I never envy someone with a blow up. But also I don’t do davits although I’ve thought I’d it. I could pull it up using my arch and the webbing. Still need to take the motor off, and probably no less hassle than folding.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:39   #21

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
While there has been a good discussion of the pros and cons of the boat, I would conjecture that it is just a simple case of aesthetics that keep many buyers from even considering it. It is just not a pretty boat to my eye. I know others have a different sense of beauty and the usefulness may overcome many peoples dislike for the form but to me I just can’t get past the odd look even though many of the features I would love to have.

Jim
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:46   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I think the straw that broke the camel's back in Uma's case was they sunk it a few times in heavy tropical downpours. The added flotation of an inflatable would mean that no matter how full of water they wouldn't have to worry about it sinking again.

I guess monitoring the water level is a simple thing but...
That’s some downpour. We were in Bequai recently and got hit by an extended period of heavy downpour, several actually over several hours. Locals I talked to said hey had never seen anything like it. The PB was pretty full, I had to lay on the dock to get some out before stepping into.

Coming down the thorny path above Georgetown last year we hit a biblical downpour, at night. We were towing the dink and the extra weight was not helping. When things calmed down I pulled it alongside and got in and bailed. Didn’t like that much. Now I have a bilge pump on a stick I run off a cigarette lighter. Tape it to a boat book and hold it down in the PB. Works a charm. But that’s only for special occassions.

They must have been letting it sit unattended for some period. I think a couple of fenders under the seats would solve that problem pretty quick. That’s what I’ve thought of doing if I have to leave it.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:59   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Thanks for the videos. For getting us and stuff between mothership and shore, rowing or a little put put, seems OK for that then, given **very** limited stowage space on deck.
You’re welcome . I think it rows quite well. In part this is b/c it is fairly light, but the hull shape really helps as well. This also makes it quite functional, even with a small outboard. I use a 3.5 hp on my 10-footer. It will easily plane with one fat guy and gear on board. I can plane with two adults in good conditions. It moves along quite fine (and efficiently) with this small motor.

Quote:
Don't mind wobbly long as not getting swamped, looks are a **very** low priority.
The portabotes do feel different than standard inflatables. I think this is the biggest issue most new owners must get over. For those of us used to travelling with small paddle boats (canoes, kayaks) it feels pretty natural.

Aesthetics … this is funny. I’ve never seen a rubber boat that looks attractive to my eye. The only ones I consider ‘beautiful’ are wood strip boats, but they are heavy and impractical for my boat.

Quote:
Sailing would just be for fun, exploring the shoreline shallows, visit a beach, picnic on an island, sort of things could otherwise use a kayak. To me that's not a "toy" use case?
I say “toy” in the sense that the official rig is pretty light duty. But yes, it is fun to sail around the anchorage area. I find that anything over about 10-12 knots is too much for the rig. The issue is how it is stayed. I suppose you could find ways to reinforce the rigging though.

BTW, I like dinghies like the walker bay. I seriously considered one, but I have no place to store it on board, and don’t have (don’t want) davits.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:05   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
That’s some downpour. We were in Bequai recently and got hit by an extended period of heavy downpour, several actually over several hours. Locals I talked to said hey had never seen anything like it. The PB was pretty full, I had to lay on the dock to get some out before stepping into.

Coming down the thorny path above Georgetown last year we hit a biblical downpour, at night. We were towing the dink and the extra weight was not helping. When things calmed down I pulled it alongside and got in and bailed. Didn’t like that much. Now I have a bilge pump on a stick I run off a cigarette lighter. Tape it to a boat book and hold it down in the PB. Works a charm. But that’s only for special occassions.

They must have been letting it sit unattended for some period. I think a couple of fenders under the seats would solve that problem pretty quick. That’s what I’ve thought of doing if I have to leave it.
I can see where it is possible to flood a portabote. I know the floatation on mine is enough to keep it from sinking b/c I tested it, but I suppose it would sink with an outboard attached. It would be easy to add a couple of air bags under the seats if this was a serious concern.

Next season I plan to experiment with using the portabote as a rain catchment tool. Last season I could have kept my water tank full with the amount of rain I had to bail . I’m thinking of rigging a manual bilge pump with an inline filter of some sort.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:33   #25

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Never had one but how hard is it to board, in deep water, with snorkel gear?

I've seen them and pondered getting one but always wondered how you would get back in after swimming a reef.
It's our preferred - over a Walker Bay 10' with a ladder - dive boat.

Over the front, grab a seat and the opposing gunwale. Pull and flip and the inside (next to you) edge folds over and you're in.

Laughs at rocks, light enough to pull up past the high tide line so you don't have to swim to it later, and planes flat with two up (~375#, full gas can and 6HP) at about 15 knots.

We had it in 6' rollers in the Jumentos once; loved it, and it was a dry ride...

YMMV; see my next for complaint
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:34   #26

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Rode in one once..
I'd rather go 100mph in a Volkswagen bug
LOL I presume you found it squirrely. That's from too much power...

The only complaint I have about ours is that it's not the new one; the rails mark anything they touch...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:48   #27

I had a porta boat for a few years. I used it to row out to the morring. Rowed pretty good even with four adults. I put a second set of oar locks on it so my wife could row with me. It was fun. One chilly night the poor thing fell in the drink between boats. My largeness was able to stand up at the gunnel and haul her aboard with no problems. I have always been impressed with the stability of the portabboats. It’s the flexibility that lends to the stability. A little flex and less roll. I would consider another one if I can find a good used one
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:01   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I can see where it is possible to flood a portabote. I know the floatation on mine is enough to keep it from sinking b/c I tested it, but I suppose it would sink with an outboard attached. It would be easy to add a couple of air bags under the seats if this was a serious concern.

Next season I plan to experiment with using the portabote as a rain catchment tool. Last season I could have kept my water tank full with the amount of rain I had to bail . I’m thinking of rigging a manual bilge pump with an inline filter of some sort.
I’ve had similar thoughts. But down here not enough rain in the winter. Usually.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:04   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Keyway,

I’ve bought 3 used ones for good prices. The only reason I bought new was the shipping to Grenada issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:23   #30

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have owned all 3. P-Bote (original canoe stern), inflatable and now a Walker bay 10.

P-Bote is virtually indestructible as is the WB. Hit rocks or a coral reef with an inflatable and say good bye.

Pbote rows pretty well, not as good as a WB and both are so far superior to an inflatable it's not worth mentioning. BTW- I used my inflatable for scuba and when the motor invariably conked out we just jumped in the water with snorkel gear on and towed it. Rowing them is a joke.

Pbotes are unsinkable. We had 2 adults in mine and shipped water over the bow. GF was sitting back to bow and didn't notice it, her weigh kept the water up there so I didn't notice it. When she finally did notice it, we "sank" like 2 minutes later. Everything floated off but we were still in the boat which was floating at gunnel height. In a rescue, I dragged the guy in who was hypothermic and useless. The Pbote side collapsed allowing me to just drag him in and of course, let in the water to the point the gunnels were the only thing above water. (having learned my lesson before, I brought nothing else in the boat lol) once in, I started my outboard which was above water and motored over to his friends boat dumping him off, motored back to my boat, removed the outboard and put the pbote on a halyard and raised until most of the water was out. No other boat can m are rescue this easy.

If you go pbote route, make sure it has a square transom. Canoe's sucked. (they are a very old design .). You can buy them used if you look around enough.

I like the WB best so far. I am adding Hypalon tubes to it which effectively makes it into a RIB and doesn't interfere with rowing. I'll be using this as my only tender and dive platform.

1st time I saw a pbote was in the central pacific and I asked the owner about it as they also had an inflatable. They liked the pbote because it launched faster and they could care less about hitting coral. But when the seas were up, they liked the stability of the inflatable. Pbotes don't ride over waves, they bend, fold, mush their way through them. It is very different from any other boat. Kids hated it, freaked em out.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote