Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 19:01   #76
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

I'm a Porte Bote fan but share the concern about the bow. The low bow is why you need to tow them with the bow right up on the transom, outta the water. If the painter is too long they will gradually fill with water, which runs to the bow, making matters worse until they torpedo. Never lost one but made a damn good go of it a couple of times. Slow learner here.
__________________

__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 21:07   #77
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,022
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Part of the reason I went with a portabote is so I don't have to tow it. I really hate towing anything. With the bote, unless we're going a very small distance in calm seas (and by small I mean less than a couple hours) we always tear it down and carry it on deck.
__________________

__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 21:49   #78
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,385
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Stern arch or boomkin tower | Sundowner Sails Again

Search their site for the boat.
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 05:52   #79
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Part of the reason I went with a portabote is so I don't have to tow it. I really hate towing anything. With the bote, unless we're going a very small distance in calm seas (and by small I mean less than a couple hours) we always tear it down and carry it on deck.
Agreed. We may tow it through the Hudson and Erie Canal. But I don't know about the locks. Maybe just parts.

BTW. We are in NY, well Sandy Hook and should start up the Hudson this PM. I may have an engine issue, but maybe not. We are finally moving anyway.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:09   #80
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 378
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
There is a similar but much better looking and higher quality tender available in Australian but unfortunately along with the higher quality comes a much higher price. Sorry, I can't remember the name at present.
Quickboats - Folding Boats, No trailers, No storage hassles
__________________
Jdege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:57   #81
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

When thinking about this thread the other day I imagined an inflatable pillow that fit into the bow filling that space.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 07:38   #82
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,022
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
BTW. We are in NY, well Sandy Hook and should start up the Hudson this PM. I may have an engine issue, but maybe not. We are finally moving anyway.
Good for you. You may just pass us b/c we're still fighting with the engine. This time it's a leak in a fuel line. Bugger of a thing to find since it was in injector pump return line, and only visible when running with your head over the the engine looking down. Off to the shop to see if we can seal it or perhaps buy a whole new ss line.

I like the look of the Quickboat, especially the bow cowl. Perhaps in another 10 years when our bote dies (it's already over 10 years old) I'll look hard at this one.

BTW, has anyone ever built some sort of flexible cowl for their bote bow? I'm thinking of something out of sunbrella that could be snapped in. Thoughts?
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 18:28   #83
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,896
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Mike,

We just got to Oswego. What are you up to?

Send me an email. Public at Hpeer dot com.
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 18:38   #84
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: holland michigan
Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Posts: 456
Images: 3
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Good for you. You may just pass us b/c we're still fighting with the engine. This time it's a leak in a fuel line. Bugger of a thing to find since it was in injector pump return line, and only visible when running with your head over the the engine looking down. Off to the shop to see if we can seal it or perhaps buy a whole new ss line.

I like the look of the Quickboat, especially the bow cowl. Perhaps in another 10 years when our bote dies (it's already over 10 years old) I'll look hard at this one.

BTW, has anyone ever built some sort of flexible cowl for their bote bow? I'm thinking of something out of sunbrella that could be snapped in. Thoughts?
I had the same idea of a cover. Sunbrella or marine vinyl with a bow to support the span. But too many projects on the main boat so still just in the idea stage.
__________________
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 21:42   #85
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Duluth,Minnesota
Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Posts: 984
Re: Porta Boat - Durability & Suitability

Yes, that's the one. Very spendy though.
__________________

__________________
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are You Scared of Wood ? CharlieCobra General Sailing Forum 116 18-03-2013 17:45
Woman Living on a Boat ? freya34 Liveaboard's Forum 66 24-07-2012 17:21
Safe Boat Operations New Boat Handling and Maneuvering Skills Mariners Commercial Posts 0 05-10-2011 14:07



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.