Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2007, 11:32   #16

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
You might want to look into "Fold-up" boats. They are pretty reliable and easy to row. You may be able to find a used one pretty cheap.

IMHO, those Sevylor things can be danerous as a tendor and they are very hard to row (impossible in a strong breeze unless you fill it with water). When they leak, your done. They sometimes tear wide open. You could find yourself swimming a long distance. If you get one, I would recommend carrying a smaller spare for emergencies.

Remember, those things are a toy and intended to be used as such. Once you separate yourself from your vessel, you may want to think twice about relying on a toy to get you back.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 13:54   #17

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
Moonchaser: there was a thread just a day or two ago, might still be active relating to dinghy plans,http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f55/dingy-plans-11713.html

Kanani: that's the impression I'm getting. I think I'll skip the cheap inflatable for now and just tow one of my hard plastic kayaks for the time being. i'll save up and keep looking for a good inflatable dinghy and maybe build a small one from plywood if I absolutely need something more than my kayak. I might even be able to build it to fit on my foredeck, as small as it is. I've been looking at foldup boats, but they all seem to still be too big to store easily.

Still, I'll keep looking, thanks for the opinions.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 21:32   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Would one of those really small folding dinghy's work for you? ...at least they cant deflate and are probably more durable than something with a hull that isn't much thicker than a garbage bag.

ding1

WoodenWidget. The home of the Origami Folding Sailing Dinghy. The stowable sailing boat tender you can easily build yourself from easy to follow illustrated instructions. DIY boat. Portable, stowable, easy to build boat. Plywood and canvas

A Folding Foldable Portable Fishing Boat And Dinghy By Porta-Bote Portabote Porta-Boat Portaboat Foldboat * Portabot

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 22:33   #19

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
I knew someone that had this one:
A Folding Foldable Portable Fishing Boat And Dinghy By Porta-Bote Portabote Porta-Boat Portaboat Foldboat * Portabot

He loved that dinghy. I was impressed with it too.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 22:35   #20

Send a message via AIM to sluissa
the problem with them is their length makes them problematic to store on deck and their folded width would probably prevent me from storing them in the v-berth, the only place on the boat with 7 continuous feet of space. to get into there though they'd have to go through some narrow hatches and doorways. I do like their ideas though.
sluissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:46   #21

Boat: Morgan 27 OSPREY
Send a message via Yahoo to Morgan 27
I've got $350 in a jonboat and Johnson 4hp. Holds a good loadout and is very stable. I leave it on the mooring while we sail around on the boat. Just a thought; They're cheap...
Mike Sr.
Old 08-06-2009, 19:30   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluissa View Post
I need a dinghy, a cheap inflatable dinghy. One that I can store folded up below deck on my small little 21 foot boat. I can't afford to pay the 500+ for a good inflatable at the moment so I was thinking, just temporarily, for use in mostly calm waters, would one of the sevylor or intex inflatable boats be good enough for a year or two of use getting me to docks, beaches, and just exploring around in areas where I can't seem to get the sailboat?

Thanks
I just purchased a little guy from West Marine Retail for about $40. The product was called a "micro dinghy" I think but I can't recall the brand. (Its still in the box on the boat). Same idea as you. I have a small boat & needed something to reach shore for whatever reason. Mine holds, I think, 300 pounds. Check the weight capacity before you buy. I nearly bought one that had a weight capacity of about 180... which was even less than I weigh. Not even capacity for anything else.
BigDreams is offline   Reply With Quote