Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 23:26   #1

Outboard Up or Down When at the Dinghy Dock?

I've noticed at the local dinghy dock that most people leave the outboard on their tender down in the water, rather than tilted up and out. This is even the case for the tenders that go several days between uses. Is there a good reason to keep an outboard in the water rather than out? I've been tilting mine up to let it dry and prevent any growth. Either the locals know something I don't, or they're lazy
triv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 23:28   #2

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Outboard up or down when at the dinghy dock?

A motor up at the dock makes for a dangerous place!! Keep the prop down and ya hole a lot less rubber boats LOL
Old 01-07-2013, 23:54   #3
Marine Service Provider

I have a wild theory that should not be taken serious. salt will dry on your impeller and crystallize and so each time you pump new water in you wear your water impeller faster.

This is not based on fact just an idea that helped me make the decision to keep it down as much as possible (unless big tides), but not so much that i have little critters building a new eco system.

safety or lazy is a good excuse not to pull it up also. amazing how you can justify your habits
gunnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:03   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Don't know about lazy, but I wash my outboards out with fresh water when I put them away not to be used for a while ! We do have large tanks and a water maker and that do help !! LOL
Old 02-07-2013, 00:13   #5

Outboards kicked up can get snagged with painters or otherwise fouled by boats coming and going. Just seems dangerous to your outboard and the people who need to work around it. I mean would you rather head into a ten jumped up dinghies with their outboards up or down?
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 00:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 37' Oyster Heritage

Please leave your outboard down at the dinghy dock. The prop is a fine hazard for inflatables, plus you take up more room!

To protect my own dink, I have no hesitation in lowering other people's outboards. Indeed the raised outboard is the sign of an inexperienced cruiser.

It's one of my pet hates, along with too short painters!
sestina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sestina View Post
Please leave your outboard down at the dinghy dock. The prop is a fine hazard for inflatables, plus you take up more room!...
INDEED!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:13   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Funnily enough over here outboards are always left up on dinghy docks, and don't seem to cause any problems (including to other inflatable dinks).....part of that is due to necessity as the waters are tidal so the dinks and pontoons dry out (so can't leave o/b's down).

Personally I feel that if someone is getting a head injury from a tilted outboard they need to reconsider how they dock! In any event, propeller edges not really that sharp.

Sounds like o/b down works well for enough for dinghy docks which are used only for folks coming and going short term (and who like to dock at 90mph?!), but if a permanent arrangement can't see that leaving the prop in the water 24/7 will do the o/b much good.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40   #9

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Horses for courses.

If you use an inflatable, you have to accept that it will get punctured at some time. Whether it is a rock, reef or 3rd world barnacle encrusted wharf, it will happen. Or go totally obsessive about it and your surroundings. Sort of like a Porsche owner worrying about getting keyed?

If you only hang around 1st world ports - posh you! - ok, ya gotta go with flow, succumb to peer pressure, be a good neighbour, etc, bla bla bla, and leave your outboard down.

We have a hard dinghy so couldn't care less. We do pull the oars out rather than leave the blades sticking out like a Chinaman's elbows in a train ticket queue.

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:45   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day all,

I'm always amused by the passion with which folks condemn "raised outboards" at dinghy docks. Third hand tales of punctured inflatables and all that...

Well, we've been using dinghy docks for a lot of cruising years, and I have never personally heard of or seen such an incident. Outboard props and skegs are just not very sharp, and inflatables are reasonably tough, unless well past their use-by date.

I've used various inflatables for the past 40 years, and nearly all the damage that they have incurred has been from oyster shells and barnacles on shore rocks, pilings and docks, and don't forget the occasional protruding nail. I have often cut my hands on these things, but have never suffered such an injury from an outboard prop.

Someone has also mentioned getting painters fouled on raised outboards. IME, one is far more likely to become fouled on one that is left in the water, sticking down to entangle your painter whilst you try to get it back under the dink that moored across your line.

And as DOJ has said, there are plenty of dinghy docks where your boat may dry out at LW, jamming a "down" o/b into the mud or sand or coral bottom.

Finally, I would become agitated if someone lowered my outboard as one poster has suggested. That is not an acceptable behavior IMO.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 02-07-2013, 06:49   #11

I have a hard shell dinghy, but I leave mine down. It's sad enough watching how often people with inflatables have to repair them without making it worse by having them get a hole bumping into my prop and me feeling bad about it.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:29   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See also, an earlier discussion
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tte-24517.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:04   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Engine down and tie with a long painter. It is just inconsiderate to tie up tight and make it difficult for others to get into a crowded dinghy dock. This includes those who chain their dinks.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:14   #14

Boat: Seafarer36c

I've pulled into dinghy docks where most of the boats had the engine up and in that case you do to, I think.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39   #15

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Outboard up, outboard down!

Dinghy dock, dinghy schmuck!

If you live in a high population density suburb, the social rules between neighbours are different. Suck it up, Country Princess! Bend to the 'hood! Whatever that means for your bay..... or your new bay...

I will adjust to the local rules.... but don't come in and muck with my stuff because you are accustomed to a certain tradition in your far away area!

Or use the beach with an anchor or a convenient tree.....

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, dock, outboard