Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2011, 15:29   #1

Boat: Morgan 383
Outboard Gearbox Oil Adaptor

Hi Guys,

I want to change the gearbox oil on a small outboard. Do I need to get an adaptor (a tube with a screw fitting to connect the new oil bottle to the gearbox) or can I use the type of bottle with a filler spout (for example; this at Whitworths) and kind of jam the spout in the lower filler hole?

Cheers

Steve
steve_roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 17:34   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Outboard gearbox oil adaptor

The latter will work on smaller capacity lower units. Gets a little messy on larger.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 17:45   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_roach View Post
Hi Guys,

I want to change the gearbox oil on a small outboard. Do I need to get an adaptor (a tube with a screw fitting to connect the new oil bottle to the gearbox) or can I use the type of bottle with a filler spout (for example; this at Whitworths) and kind of jam the spout in the lower filler hole?

Cheers

Steve
Works well. Just remove both plugs to drain, wait half hour or so to allow all oil out, stuff tapered spout into lower hole and squezze bottle until oil starts to dribble from top hole, insert plug into top hole and tighten, then remove bottle and replace lower plug. Wipe leg to remove any stray oil, stand back and open beer. Simple really.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 00:39   #4

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go and report back.

Those are good answers - I was trying to source the adaptor in Sydney and there don't seem to be many outlets available. Buying one on the net would have cost an extra $12 delivery.

I saw the pic of the oil bottle and though; that may just fit. I guess it doesn't need to make a perfect seal, just a good enough for a while one.

Now, anyone know where to get those fibre washers that seal the oil filler / vent screws? I suppose this can be a generic part. But who sells them?

Cheers

Steve
Old 14-06-2011, 01:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Steve, you are probably better off just paying for the right one. With the oil it does get messy so prep a couple of tubes of oil ready to go and buy more than you need because it will spill. A drip tray is essential.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 03:16   #6

Those washers are avaliable from your outboard dealer sometimes from the marine store cheap
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 03:27   #7

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

If your impeller is due for a check,remove the leg and refill oil with leg laying on it's side.
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 20:03   #8

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Now, anyone know where to get those fibre washers that seal the oil filler / vent screws? I suppose this can be a generic part. But who sells them?

Cheers

Steve
Steve this is one of those occasions that one buys the genuine part. one REALLY wants to keep the water on the outside.
Cheers.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2011, 21:10   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Steve this is one of those occasions that one buys the genuine part. one REALLY wants to keep the water on the outside.
Cheers.
A fibre washer is a fibre washer. Yamaha et al buy them from the same vendors that supply your friendly auto parts store (eg Repco or Supercheap). These are not "marine quality" items.

Generally, if the old washer isn't chewed up it can be reused a few times. This isn't rocket maintenance...

Cheers,
Old 15-06-2011, 00:51   #10

Hi Guys,

Tend to agree with the generic washer part. Actually, rather than go and get a load of washers, I was thinking about getting a sheet of the washer material and making my own. I would need a hole-punch for the inside and scissors / knife for the outside. There is a local supplier of 'vulcanised fibre' - this stuff swells in water and is therefore good for plumbing / wet applications. This will also help with my long term aim of being able to do basic repairs on virtually any small outboard far from civilisation.

I was going to wait until the impeller fell apart before doing something about it but I suppose it really should be swapped out every year. I'm a little daunted at this job but I'll see how that goes.

Cheers

Steve
Old 15-06-2011, 01:00   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I was going to wait until the impeller fell apart before doing something about it but I suppose it really should be swapped out every year. I'm a little daunted at this job but I'll see how that goes. Cheers
Steve
Something inbetween I think. Annually is a bit over the top, but if you leave them too long and they break up the bits go into the water channels in the block and its a devel of a job to strip them down and clear the water ways.

Watched a friend strip a V6 Yamaha 2 stroke block down 3 times before he got all the bits out.

If your going to that level, take out the termostat and check it in a mug of hot water too. chances are it will want a clean anyway as they collect salt crystals because they don't open when you give them a freshwater flush after use.

Final thoughts, should be some brass screws on the bottom of the carbs. Remove and drain them down to remove any bits. Check the fuel pump membranes and re grease the prop shaft.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 15:06   #12

Re: Outboard Gearbox Oil Adaptor

Hi Guys,

Well, that went OK. Thanks for all the advice and help. Here's a link to my blog page that documents the whole process - not trying to promote my blog, I just find it a better format for this sort of stuff.

In answer to the 2 main questions here:

- Stuffing the oil tube in the oil filler hole worked a treat.
- I reused the original washers - but I will be getting hold of the material to make new ones.

Cheers

Steve

Tags
gearbox, outboard