Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 17:08   #1

Boat: Privilege 482
One more reason to raise the dinghy each night....

So we were just a Cape Lookout for a few nights and on one morning we awoke to a sad and deflated dinghy. Luckily, we were just a few days away from being hauled out at Jarrett's, so we made do with pumping and quickly getting to shore. Once hauled, I discovered 4 very small holes and set about patching them. Pumping it up for a test, I was dismayed to see it slowly loose pressure still. Squirting more soapy water, I located a 5th puncture... but this one had a small sharp object in it. Removing it, I realized it was a fish tooth! Then it all clicked into place: the night the dingy deflated there was a period of about 2 hours where a school of Atlantic Cutlass fish were splashing all around the boat, hunting minnows. They were so intent on their prey that they were causing a ruckus banging into the hull of the big boat. They obviously didn't watch out for the dingy either. Cutlassfish are a weird critter: long and eel like with a spiky, toothy mouth... and apparently a taste for hypalon.

So anyway, y'all have been warned....
Old 02-11-2013, 17:31   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: One more reason to raise the dinghy each night....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post
So we were just a Cape Lookout for a few nights and on one morning we awoke to a sad and deflated dinghy. Luckily, we were just a few days away from being hauled out at Jarrett's, so we made do with pumping and quickly getting to shore. Once hauled, I discovered 4 very small holes and set about patching them. Pumping it up for a test, I was dismayed to see it slowly loose pressure still. Squirting more soapy water, I located a 5th puncture... but this one had a small sharp object in it. Removing it, I realized it was a fish tooth! Then it all clicked into place: the night the dingy deflated there was a period of about 2 hours where a school of Atlantic Cutlass fish were splashing all around the boat, hunting minnows. They were so intent on their prey that they were causing a ruckus banging into the hull of the big boat. They obviously didn't watch out for the dingy either. Cutlassfish are a weird critter: long and eel like with a spiky, toothy mouth... and apparently a taste for hypalon.

So anyway, y'all have been warned....
Actually, we've had two other sources of hypalon dinghy problems: once, a turtle bit a hole in one of the tubes, and (shame on us) twice, cookie cutter sharks bit holes in the floor. So, now they've been warned even more!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 03-11-2013, 12:39   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

You are too late - we were warned way back in 1975

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jaws-shark-eating-boat.jpg
Views:	2555
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	69787  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47   #4

Hey, Colemj,

Didn't do that dinghy too much good, did it! Great pic.

Ann
Old 03-11-2013, 12:56   #5

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Actually, we've had two other sources of hypalon dinghy problems: once, a turtle bit a hole in one of the tubes, and (shame on us) twice, cookie cutter sharks bit holes in the floor. So, now they've been warned even more!
Yikes! After that and Mark's pic--we're never putting our dinghy in the water again. We'll just swim! Oh wait...
Old 03-11-2013, 15:39   #6

I guess it's only fair to explain: the turtle was fishing a shoal of fish that were hiding by the dinghy. The cookie cutter shark was just doing what they do, make round holes in whales, large fish, even submarine anechoic coatings. Big nuisances, IMO. Still, we shouldn't have let it happen a second time.

Ann
Old 03-11-2013, 17:01   #7

I once speared a stingray (the wings make great scallops) and the bugger got even with me on the way back to the boat. I thought it was dead, and its last flop put the stinger through my Achilies. I guess Karma got me that time. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:26   #8

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Twelve years ago someone left a small RIB next to the dumpster (Trash bin) per "Dumpster ediquette" with a small fracture in the fiberglass bottom. Being a thrifty and handy person I felt it responsable to take it home and repair it.
An hour or so later the bottom was fixed and the tubes inflated. A year later it was still inflated!

Seven years ago we began cruising every winter to the Bahamas and decided to take the fixed RIB along expecting it to last a season at best. Seven years later it is still with us!

Please send your shark, rock or other pointy object our way. I want a new RIB and this one will not give up!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 17:35   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I once speared a stingray (the wings make great scallops) and the bugger got even with me on the way back to the boat. I thought it was dead, and its last flop put the stinger through my Achilies. I guess Karma got me that time. ____Grant.
Sheesh, Grant, smile at your good luck... coulda been through your Achilles tendon rather than your Achilles dinghy!

Having known a few unfortunate yotties who suffered sting ray wounds, they are not to be scoffed at.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 20:50   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sheesh, Grant, smile at your good luck... coulda been through your Achilles tendon rather than your Achilles dinghy!

Having known a few unfortunate yotties who suffered sting ray wounds, they are not to be scoffed at.

Cheers,

Jim
I understand vinigar deadens the pain immediately.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, dinghy