Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2019, 01:26   #16

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Re: OCT Offshore Cruising Tender

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom23 View Post
I don't think so... According to their website, the smallest Ocean Craft dinghy (2.6m, 8' 7") is 75kg.
Also, it requires long shaft outboard.

Ocean Craft Data
Thanks for somehow navigating the oceancraft site

I couldn't figure out how they could get an aluminum dinghy of that size down to 50kgs. I'd imagine the buyer interested in the OCT is also interested in low weight.

Matt

funjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:25   #17

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Well. With who I am and how I live, I am rarely ever embarrassed, but I am embarrassed about this. The only thing I can think of is I brain-farted the weight of our outboard vs the Oceancraft.... it's not like I lift either with my back, so My original points I think are still good: Pelagic has a big-boy boat that can handle this dink if he wants a true beast that will take him anywhere, anytime, and I still can't say enough good things about it

Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:02   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

It has been interesting to listen to the pros and cons of cruising tenders.
Probably 15 years ago, I would be buying the Oceancraft for the reasons Soujorner lists.
But my days of taking the tender out passes to dive on the outer walls, with the big fish are over.

Now it is basically beach runs or muck dives focusing on the macro stuff

The weight of it is not a problem lifting, but I like the idea of a light weight and flat bottom for beaching.

https://youtu.be/Gdims2sFK7w
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:24   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
OCT Offshore Cruising Tender

A flat bottom boat will draw less and will usually carry more and plane with less HP than a deep V, that is why Jon boats are flat bottom, but in any waves at all, you really really give up seaworthiness and ride quality, a flat bottom will slam hard.
My Zodiac RIB was pretty much flat bottom, and buddy let me tell you that thing was fast, just a touch over 30 kts., but in chop it would beat you.
Our AB is just a tiny bit longer, but lighter and a deep V, itís an honest 10 kts slower topping out at just over 20 kts with the same motor, but in a chop itís a Cadillac ride, nice and smooth.

Of course you can always just slow down and get off plane to avoid the slamming, sometimes that means getting a little wet though.
a64pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 17:31   #20

Boat: Beneteau 49 & Amel 50 on order

I saw the OC tenders in New Zealand and I liked the look and light weight. I even inquired about shipping them to Europe for my next boat. Shipping/packing costs were very high and I abandoned the idea.

From the video in this thread, the OC tender seems like it would be a very wet ride in choppy conditions. There is not much rocker at the bow. Also, as much as the manufacturer tried to show otherwise, I feel it is more sensitive to weight distribution than an inflatable dinghy.

Overall, a good looking light dinghy but I will stick to the aluminum bottom inflatable for now.

If they made the OC tender in aluminum, I would consider it much more. I would think that an aluminum hull would be their next step.
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 19:43   #21
Marine Service Provider

I generally find aluminium to be a short term proposition. If used fairly constantly there is issues with electrolysis and it is also difficult to repair yourself, especially in a remote area without welding equipment. It is also terribly heavy when compared to foam cored composites such as the OC Tender. Most cruisers I have known that used aluminium changed to glass after a few years when their aluminium could no longer be repaired. Once there is enough electrolysis/corrosion in aluminium it can no longer be welded very successfully. Isnt it strange that we generally believe aluminum doesn't corrode, possibly due to the fact that oxidised aluminium is white not brown like oxidised ferrous materials. One of the other issues is that aluminium work hardens and becomes brittle when welded. This means that if you crack your aluminium dinghy in general use then basically you can't use it that way anymore. If you weld the crack that you caused through general usage, usually driving hard in a chop, the repair will be weaker than the initial structure and simply crack when you repeat the activity that caused the initial problem. Conversely glass will be stronger when repaired if done correctly, and will never corrode.
sailhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 04:58   #22

Sail Surf Roam have released a 6 month review of their 350.

cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, offshore, tender