Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2007, 13:58   #1

Boat: Allied Luders 33 - Paper Moon
Numbers on my new dingy

The new BRIG inflatable arrives in a few weeks and I will have to put CT Registration numbers on it. Should I paint? Sticly numbers? What do you suggest? I want to avoid the plastic plates becuse they do not roll up well with the boat and if I can remove them, anyone at the dingy dock can remove them.

Cheers
Dennis Doherty
Luders 33 "Paper Moon"
LazyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 14:40   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We used a felt pen on our Avon. It lasts about a year, then we redo it.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2007, 14:48   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
A lot of people used side boards that flop over the side. That way you do them one time and update the new state sticker as required. Some of the side boars do not attach in a permanent way so you can detach them as you roll up the dinghy. All you do is attach 2 sets of attach points to either side.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 16:25   #4

Boat: Catalina 27
We used some of the paint marketed for inflatables. Our thought was that it is a lot harder for a theif to change the reg. numbers if they are permanently attached.

Mike
Old 04-04-2007, 17:20   #5

Boat: CSY-44-Antigua 44ft - Autumn Borne
Send a message via Yahoo to AutumnBorne1
I've used the number paint marked for Inflatables, for two dinghies now... a roll-up, and RIBI. Works great! use the templates to siloette the numbers, then just fill them in with the black paint, and artist's brush.
State Numbers takes about an evening, maybe two.
AutumnBorne1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 18:09   #6

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
I have seen both, the sticker is usually placed on the inside stern so that it "does not get lost."
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:04   #7

Boat: Allied Luders 33 - Paper Moon
That is what I wanted to hear.

Thanks and fair winds

Dennis
LazyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 07:24   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42 - Five & Dime
alternative for numbers

For what it's worth, I've tried about all the different (detachable plastic board, magic marker, inflatable ink, hypalon numbers, etc.) ways to attached numbers to an inflatable, with idiosyncracies with all of them that drove me crazy.

I did run across a website a couple of months ago, with a product I want to try next time. INFLATABLE BOAT & RIB REGISTRATION NUMBERS - Home

Don't know how well they work; but, would greatly appreciate anyones input that has used them.

Curt
first42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2007, 06:32   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42 - Five & Dime
I can now give actual experience with purchasing and installing the flexible registration numbers, provided by the website/link above.

We purchased a new RIB so my wife could take it to work. (18" tubes, no wet butt)

Anyway, we went to the link listed for Boaters World on the website and ordered the numbers from them. (I had gone to the local West Marine store and asked them about the flexible numbers and they did not know a thing about them.) Anyway, Boaters world did have a website order form, with follow-up access via a phone number. The "assistant" from Boaters World really did not know a thing about what was ordered; but, took promise to get the order form soonest possible.

I left an email, with my telephone number, from the manufacture's website asking delivery time. They called back that day and asked if I needed help..... Indeed it appeared that I did need help. I had ordered "pre-adhesived" numbers and they said that probably was not the best way to go, for long lived durability. They offered to send the standard product and refund the difference in a check. They also opted to send the numbers to me overnight, at no extra charge, because of the frustrations I was having with Boaters World.

When I finally got the "paperwork" to enter data on their website for the numbers, I received the numbers, overnighted, within two days. That is what I call customer service.....

Installation of the numbers was straight forward, although I ended up using more adhesive than I thought I would. The flexible registration lookes great!!! Time will tell how well they last; but, so far, I'm extremely happy with the experience and all.

Curt
first42 is offline   Reply With Quote