Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2016, 14:18   #31
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: New boat- need advice on my Dinghy Choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttskie View Post
Boatie,
Do you mean something like this?

Achilles Inflatable Crafts | Boats & Parts

I have been struggling to find something that fits neatly aboard and is easy for this single-hander to muscle around. I already have a 5hp two stroke Mercury that is nice and light.

I have, also, thought about this:

PT11Description

I don't think the PT11 would be very durable in the long term, though.

I had been considering the same model as the OP, ( the Achilles HB-270FX ) but worry about my ability to move it around/deflate/inflate, etc. It will fit, tubes deflated, on my cabintop, though.
That's a nice one.. and the type I mean.
However being a cheapskate I went for the wood slat floor at just 260.. less painful if stolen by someone with chaincutters..
Mind.. not lost a dinghy to theft yet.. big seas however.. lost one in the Biscay off the foredeck..
OH.. and the 6hpLS was on a bigger old Achilles a few years back.. this had a 5hp Tohatsu standard.. but nearly as good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seago_-_eco_230_tender.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	11.1 KB
ID:	120190  

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 15:53   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: New boat- need advice on my Dinghy Choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure, but a flat floor means a double floor, which means more weight.

Yes, but it sure is nice if your carrying anything, and it's nice to have a flat floor to stand on if the water is rough etc.
I like the idea of aluminum, but want a flat floor.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 07-03-2016, 16:11   #33

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Personally I am going to go with a Portland Pudgy, done a lot of looking around and I like the fact it doubles as a life boat, and it can be sailed.

If the Fecal Matter hits the rotating oscillator halfway between Baja and Hawaii, id rather have a life boat that isn't going to easily sink and that can be sailed.

http://www.portlandpudgy.com/dinghy-specs/
Old 07-03-2016, 16:32   #34

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Congratulations on your new boat! On my boat I decided to go with a high pressure floor inflatable. It is lightweight at 86lbs and your lightweight davits can handle it. I have a Honda 15hp engine that I use a motor hoist to hang on the rail. The boat easily planes with three people and it will likely plane with four (although I haven't tried it). When I am offshore, I roll it up and hoist it into the aft locker with the same motor lift. The ride is fast and dry. To save the bottom, I added a set of Danard dinghy wheels so I could wheel it up on shore.

Achilles LSI-330E
Length: 10' 8"
Beam: 5' 6"
Weight: 86 Lbs
Capacity: (5) Persons or 1340 Lbs
Maximum Motor 15 hp (Maximum Motor Weight: 110 Lbs)
Manufacturer Recommends 10 hp (15" Shaft)
Tube Diameter 18"
Separate Air Chambers: (3) + Floor + Air Keel
Stowed Dimensions:: 4'-1" x 1'-11" x 10"
Fabric Type: Hypalon
Factory Warranty: 5 years
Old 07-03-2016, 16:58   #35

Boat: H36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNickMontana View Post
Personally I am going to go with a Portland Pudgy, done a lot of looking around and I like the fact it doubles as a life boat, and it can be sailed.

If the Fecal Matter hits the rotating oscillator halfway between Baja and Hawaii, id rather have a life boat that isn't going to easily sink and that can be sailed.

http://www.portlandpudgy.com/dinghy-specs/

Pudgy looks great but too bad it is not a foot longer. I had a hard blunt nose dink this size and was happy it was stolen. I think there is always constraints on dingy size, style and motor size. We would all like the 60hp centre console rib.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 07-03-2016, 17:15   #36

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaltzman View Post
Yes, definitely not going to ignore his advice, I should have clarified. I am going to remove the motor from the dinghy when I hoist it on the davits, which is why a lighter motor would be great, as it would be easier to handle.
We have a Merc 15 HP 2-st. on a rail mounted motor plate. Also, as with your boat, we have a lifting jib with 8-part block. This is plenty to handle the motor. Great for other heavy stuff too.
Old 07-03-2016, 17:16   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Pudgy looks great but too bad it is not a foot longer. I had a hard blunt nose dink this size and was happy it was stolen. I think there is always constraints on dingy size, style and motor size. We would all like the 60hp centre console rib.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Speaking of center consoles.

My last year in the Navy spent working at the base marina we had a 25' Boston Whaler down there with a pair of 150's on it.

That thing was fuuuuuun!

I suspect though a yacht where I could use that as my dink is a bit out of my price range.
Old 07-03-2016, 17:32   #38

You'll get all manner of advice... so what to do? I have a similar sized boat and sailed in LIS / east end waters for years. I've had perhaps 6 or more different dinks from an 8'-6" avon redcrest (IIRC) ,an achilles, and now a AquaPro alum bottomed RIB which I tow and sail the Sound and SE.

I've had several motors but presently a 4 stroke yamaha 8... very heavy so I use a demountable crane and stow it on the rail.. No problem.. takes a few minutes on or off. The HP can plane a clean bottomed heavy rib with maybe 2 aboard... which is normal for our use. Wife hates to plane... harbor masters don't like it or allow it... and you have to leave no wake and go less than 5. The rib with large tubes is dry and that is important.

I think davits are hideous looking... and towing for local cruising is perfectly reasonable. To to long distance cruising you have stow the dink on board... upside down or deflated. I towed in the carib for 3 years and it's OK but not ideal as the seas between Islands can be decent size.

Get hypalon... large diameter tubes... plywood floors are fine. Set up a good towing bridal w/ security line... and ditch the davits... and get a decent.... if you don't have one.... boarding ladder. You can't even plane in Gardiner's Bay unless it's damn near dead calm.

A 6hp should do you fine... 4 strokes are heavier, but no mixing of oil and they burn cleaner.

Now have fun and be careful!
Old 07-03-2016, 17:54   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
You'll get all manner of advice... so what to do? I have a similar sized boat and sailed in LIS / east end waters for years. I've had perhaps 6 or more different dinks from an 8'-6" avon redcrest (IIRC) ,an achilles, and now a AquaPro alum bottomed RIB which I tow and sail the Sound and SE.

I've had several motors but presently a 4 stroke yamaha 8... very heavy so I use a demountable crane and stow it on the rail.. No problem.. takes a few minutes on or off. The HP can plane a clean bottomed heavy rib with maybe 2 aboard... which is normal for our use. Wife hates to plane... harbor masters don't like it or allow it... and you have to leave no wake and go less than 5. The rib with large tubes is dry and that is important.

I think davits are hideous looking... and towing for local cruising is perfectly reasonable. To to long distance cruising you have stow the dink on board... upside down or deflated. I towed in the carib for 3 years and it's OK but not ideal as the seas between Islands can be decent size.

Get hypalon... large diameter tubes... plywood floors are fine. Set up a good towing bridal w/ security line... and ditch the davits... and get a decent.... if you don't have one.... boarding ladder. You can't even plane in Gardiner's Bay unless it's damn near dead calm.

A 6hp should do you fine... 4 strokes are heavier, but no mixing of oil and they burn cleaner.

Now have fun and be careful!
Good point on the 2 strokes.
Old 07-03-2016, 18:23   #40
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: New boat- need advice on my Dinghy Choice!!

Threading my way through the moorings before going on the plane...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4646.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	120198  

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 19:06   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Threading my way through the moorings before going on the plane...
With the way you're riding that thing looks like you ought to have a foot up on the bow and a trident in your other hand...
Old 07-03-2016, 21:15   #42

I have the Achilles HB-350FX, which comes in at about 96 pounds if I remember right. I paired this with the Tohatsu 6HP, and it is more than enough power to get me around most New England Harbors. I've had as many as 6 people in it, and it goes just fine.

I don't expect to plane with that engine -- but why should you? Most harbors are restricted to 5 knots anyhow.

In fact, I was leaving Block Island last summer, and a couple of kids were screaming across the harbor in a dinghy. I heard a call to the harbor master, and he went right over and gave them a ticket -- so why do you need to go much faster anyhow?

I just bought a Jeanneau 54, and their davits are rated at 220 pounds or so. In that case, I bought a Highfields Aluminum Hull, and paired it with an 8HP Honda.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:53   #43

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I had a 10' Zodiac 310 with the roll-up floor (inflatable "keel" under floor) and an 8hp 2-stroke outboard, which could plane with two adults and a toddler.

After the Zodiac committed seppuku (one of the hinge rods between floor panels shifted sideways and drilled a hole in the pontoon) we replaced it with the RIB version, a Zodiac 310R. No more planing with the 8hp except for one adult + toddler (who was quickly growing out of planing weight), plus patience, careful weight shifting, and very flat water.

Upgrading to a 15HP o/b (which happened to be available) restored planing with a full complement of passengers, but the motor pretty much lives on the dinghy due to its weight (~85 lbs IIRC), and only goes on/off using a 4-part tackle on the arch crane.

This is beyond your 100-lb target but hopefully a couple useful data points.
Old 18-03-2016, 16:43   #44

BOSS DINGY IS RIGHT WAY TO GO!!
Old 19-03-2016, 09:01   #45

The highfield shad aluminum hull with flat floor with a under deck to drain water

Tags
dinghy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: