Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 11:04   #16

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: New Boat Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
So how would you carry groceries?
You carry groceries using your arms as they are free to move around when your gliding on one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airwheel.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	71367  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:13   #17

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
trailer?

I just checked the specs on their site, max weight 220 lbs. I'm already ten pounds over that without carrying anything.
My Airwheel model specs call out max load of 265 lbs
Old 01-12-2013, 15:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Then there is this

I "built" it for my airplane, no reason though it wouldn't work just as well in a boat. I geared it for about 22 mph, so 16 to 18 is real comfortable, and geared like this it will pull quite a hill and you don't have to pedal to start
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:51   #19

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Then there is this

I "built" it for my airplane, no reason though it wouldn't work just as well in a boat. I geared it for about 22 mph, so 16 to 18 is real comfortable, and geared like this it will pull quite a hill and you don't have to pedal to start
Nice work, is that red cover a weed wacker motor?
Old 01-12-2013, 16:04   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is, it's a kit. That's why I put built in parenthesis. Really good kit, comes with a new freewheel for the rear wheel so that nothing on the engine drive train turns when your pedaling, and of course the pedal freewheel when the engine is driving, plus you can pedal and help the engine if desired or on a really steep hill. The reduction gearbox is really strong, used for motorized wheelbarrows etc. Many different engine possibilities, but I like the Honda four strokes
Honda GX35 35.8 cc 1.60 hp Four Cycle Outside Drive kit: Staton Inc

On edit, kit took a couple of hours to install with hand tools. I cheated and ordered a new wheel with the freewheel already laced up so I didn't have t take it to a bike shop to have the new hub laced in, plus he sells a really strong overbuilt wheel if you like. I'm not small and if I carry a heavy backpack, it's 300 lbs on the bike, which it has handled easily
Old 01-12-2013, 16:34   #21

Community Sponsor

a64pilot,

Very nice ride. The Dahon Mariner weighs 26 lbs with the 32 lbs weed wacker = 58lbs
That is to heavy for us to reach out and put two of those in our dinghy.

Bulky weight is the problem we have with our current fold up bikes. My 1st mate just does not have the strength to carry one of them.

She picks up the Airwheel like a toy suit case and it stores just like a suitcase.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dahon Marinor.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	71375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Carry a Solowheel.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	71376  

Old 01-12-2013, 16:45   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, the thing is a bit on the heavy side, weight matters in an airplane too, but for a normal motorized bicycle that will carry heavy weights, it'a not going to be light.
Way back in the 60's my Father took a Honda Super Cub, had it cut in half and we flew around with it in the backseat of a Cessna 182. That's heavy, but more of a motorcycle of course. Years ago there used to be "suitcase scooters" that would fold up into a suitcase like box. A few would even suitcase when you were riding it
The one in the picture is my wife's, mine isn't motorized, lots of nice places we fly to, rental cars aren't an option, and you just can't cover nearly as much ground walking, or at least I can't.
I posted it as an option for people that have a folding bike already, but wouldn't mind having a motor to pull them along to increase the range they can travel, or speed things up. The little Honda four stroke is well a Honda four stroke, which means no smoke, reasonable noise and reliable as they come, the gearbox whine is as loud as the motor.
Old 01-12-2013, 17:17   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Those single wheel thingies are really neet !! But of course you would have to be able to walk and chew gum at the same time !! So that leaves me out right there !! And the cost of one or two of those would be a few months cruiseing buget for us LOL maybe more then a couple!! Ive found that if I can't walk to it I don't need to go there !! And most every place Ive been theres rides of some type or another !! Heck the kids used to love ridin in a horse or caraboo drawn carts !! Youall would not believe the stuff we have riddin in over the years !! Even had water hauled in a goat cart in the south pacific!! Did try full sized bikes but they just took up to much room! we did get a folding bike with our last boat! and it seems to work pretty well!!
Old 01-12-2013, 17:32   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I like that...

I wonder on a boat though, might need to have a leash for it so it can't get all that far away in the event you go one way and it goes another.
good point. Also - can it climb the mast?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 17:43   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As an avid, long-time bike rider (used to be racer) - you might get better speed and distance with the tires pumped as hard as possible. As long as you don't have to drive over soft substrates, harder is less rolling resistance. I pump my 18mm wide sewn bike tires to 135#.
Old 02-12-2013, 14:30   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Aww sew-ups, your showing your age, there are these new things called clinchers now. I finally gave in and gifted my Lightspeed Ultimate to my 18 yr old son last week. I went to recumbents years ago as my back and neck just couldn't take it anymore
Old 02-12-2013, 18:11   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Aww sew-ups, your showing your age, there are these new things called clinchers now. I finally gave in and gifted my Lightspeed Ultimate to my 18 yr old son last week. I went to recumbents years ago as my back and neck just couldn't take it anymore
I'm 61 - still ride 20 per day. Used to be 90/day. I like smokin' some young punk in his suit of many spandex colors.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:04   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The learning curve for me was one hour. I am just a few weeks into gliding around with it. Now I run errands around my town with it.

Just lean back and it stops in just a few feet.
It has re-gen braking, so it charges the battery when going down hill.

We have 460 watts of solar on our cat, so we make more power than we need.
Really cool.

I would think that there are a large number that could not adapt to it though. How much harder is it than balancing on a paddle board?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16   #29

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Really cool.

I would think that there are a large number that could not adapt to it though. How much harder is it than balancing on a paddle board?
If you can do a stand up paddle board, then learning how to glide on an Airwheel will be a breeze.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:28   #30

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
If you can do a stand up paddle board, then learning how to glide on an Airwheel will be a breeze.
Well...............having had very good balance my whole life I tried it once. I simply could not control the wobble once standing. I'm 6'4" with long legs and short torso so CG is really high. Without the ability to widen stance I am doubtful of my capability.

Sure would like to try one though.