Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2016, 05:51   #1
Marine Service Provider

Nav lights for dinghy

Hi all,

I'm trying to find some suitable Navigation lights for my inflatable. It's too big for just an all-round white light or torch, it will need a red, green and rear white (Vic, Aust regs).

Can anyone think of a suitable product(s)? Waterproof would be good, but not essential. Perhaps a bike light or a proper nav light, LED preferably, battery ok because there's no 12 volt, being inflatable there's pretty much nowhere to mount them except the rope, although I could screw into the large plastic handle I guess...

Suggestions welcome? The white one could even stick onto the back of the motor or transom.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 05:56   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Nav lights for dinghy

I use and love this thing, it is waterproof, about three inches around so it easily fits in your pocket.
A flat plate with four rare earth magnets mounts to the top of the outboard engine cover, that way you just put it on top of the outboard and magnets hold it on, if you manage to knock it off, it's waterproof and it floats.
USCG approved too, it does go through batteries pretty quick as it is bright enough to be legal as the light for a 40' boat I believe, it's almost too bright

Navisafe Navi light Tri-Color LED Navigation Light
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 06:26   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

West Marine or any other marine retailer will have what you are looking for.
Old 27-04-2016, 06:48   #4

Boat: Vagabond 14

Marine Battery Powered Navigation Lights, Boating Navigation Lights : Attwood

Simple solution.

Other makers will have the same thing.

Mount the bow light to a piece of wood or something and bungee it on.
TurninTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 07:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Aqua Signal Series 23 lights are LED, run on AA batteries and are available with mounting pads that you glue to inflatables. You've got lots of options.

I kind of like that hockey puck thing that A64 posted.
Old 27-04-2016, 07:55   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The down side to the Navisafe light on the engine cowling is the thing is so bright it's hard to see behind you. It is as bright as my LED position lights on the big boat.
I just ordered the pole to put it above my head, but operationally it's perfect still works after a couple of yearts
Old 27-04-2016, 08:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The down side to the Navisafe light on the engine cowling is the thing is so bright it's hard to see behind you. It is as bright as my LED position lights on the big boat.
I just ordered the pole to put it above my head, but operationally it's perfect still works after a couple of yearts
You have a ferrous metal cover on your outboard?
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 08:39   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
You have a ferrous metal cover on your outboard?
No, injection molded plastic. The light comes with a thin plastic plate that has four rare earth magnets in it, and of course four rare earth magnets in the light. You mount the thin plastic plate on whatever you chose and then get the light close and the magnets do the rest.
I leave the light in my Nav desk unless I think we may be out after dark, then I grab it, but the plate with the magnets stays on the outboard cover.
Best I think would be to mount the thing on a stick that sticks up above your head when seated in the dinghy, that way the light won't be so bright and nothing to block 360 visibility.
I plan on giving the stick a try anyway
Old 27-04-2016, 08:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, injection molded plastic. The light comes with a thin plastic plate that has four rare earth magnets in it, and of course four rare earth magnets in the light. You mount the thin plastic plate on whatever you chose and then get the light close and the magnets do the rest.
I leave the light in my Nav desk unless I think we may be out after dark, then I grab it, but the plate with the magnets stays on the outboard cover.
Best I think would be to mount the thing on a stick that sticks up above your head when seated in the dinghy, that way the light won't be so bright and nothing to block 360 visibility.
I plan on giving the stick a try anyway
Are you going to mount the pole on the top of the outboard? I just ordered the same light based on your post, it looks excellent! thanks for posting that link.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 08:53   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm not sure where I will mount it yet, I was thinking on the side of the Transom, but not on top of the outboard, be enough leverage there I believe to bust the thin plastic cover.
I have Danard Dinghy wheels, maybe mount the pole alongside of the bracket for the wheels?
I'll have to wait until I get the pole and see what makes sense
Old 27-04-2016, 08:58   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I can't remember which company came up with the aquasignal led dingy lights, but aquasignal bought them out. Anyway, my experience with 3 or 4 of these lights is that you would be lucky to get one season out of them. Better to go for something more waterproof.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:00   #12

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

A single light mounted on top of an outboard will not be visible for a large forward arc, due to the helmsman's body blocking it. More people in the dinghy further decreases the visible arc.

The light needs to be pole mounted so that the light is visible for 360 °, from another dinghy, with everyone on board seated in a normal position.

Be sensible and also use a forward facing flashlight at all times when underway at night. We often see local fisherman in the Caribbean, too poor to own a flashlight, anchored or drifting with no lights displayed in heavy wooden rowboats. Hitting one of these or some of the numerous fishpot floats will ruin an evening.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 09:19   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've found once I night adapt, that I can see better most nights without artificial illumination as it ruins night vision.
On the rare occasion of very dark, moonless nights, I don't go, usually there is enough shore light or something, but if not back to don't go.

But I enjoy a moonlit cruise in the dinghy, mine is 3.1 M and has a big motor and I enjoy just cruising around in the thing sometimes and especially on a Summer night when it's cool, the wind and and waves are down and you don't get Sunburned.
Old 27-04-2016, 09:27   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I feel sure with todays LED technology, someone makes P,S and stern lights for a rib or dingy. Is a tri-color mounted low, engine top, and aft legal. On second thought probably since someone on the boat would not block the angles of viability required.

The engine top mounted one sounds like the ticket.
Pardon my thinking aloud.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 11:07   #15

Boat: Nor'Sea 27

I have been using this tri color light for over a year on my dingy.

https://store.marinebeam.com/portabl...nghy-or-kayak/

It is waterproof and is rated for 2 NM. I put it on the top of the sail mast. People in the harbor have commented that it is very visible even in bad weather.
1950 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy