Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2008, 21:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by little boat View Post
The cap horn is a different kettle of fish. It is VERY sensitive. An adjustment with the monitor could be two inches; with the cap horn, it is literally millimeters. This is not a problem if one understands balancing the sails for a windvane, which is not the same balance as for hand steering. I find I must ease the main and tighten the jib for vane steering in order to get either vane steering exactly on a steady course.
I do not understand the concept here. Do you set the sails so the course is heading correctly and then set the tiller, or do you set the tiller and then set the sails. My fundamental ignorance is showing, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by little boat View Post
Whatever the configuration of your yacht, if you do not have a sensitivity to going through the water, then the monitor is very forgiving and will steer you flawlessly with a caveman's heavy hand; the cap horn will require a feeling for nuance and a very delicate touch. .
Do you mean sail configuration? By sensitivity, do you mean a touch and an intuitive understanding of the feel for the responsiveness for the boat?

I liked the Aeris videos -- it does look very easy.

If I take wheel and pedestal out -- actually, it is coming out regardless of vane choice and the unit WILL be for sale, wheel, pedestal, controls, compass and all-- then the quadrant under the wheel would not have to relocated, because my understanding is that the Cape comes with its own quadrant which is located most aft.

I really wish we had this thread going prior to the show. I can see that once again I did not know the relevant things to look for in relationship to my boat.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 13:57   #17

Boat: Dudley Dix aluminum 43'
Cape Horn on our Dix 43 CC

We have installed a Cape Horn system on our new aluminum Dix 43. I was attracted to this product because it could be integrated into the transom design, thus resulting in a elegant looking solution for our centre cockpit boat. Spectra control lines are lead through conduit in the boat from the Cape Horn quadrant and the boat's tiller in the lazarette (we have Jefa solid link steering) to cam cleats in the cockpit near the companion way.

It really looks like it is part of the boat and not an after thought however, I will have to defer commenting on how effective it is as our boat is still a month away from launching.
Namoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 09:10   #18

Boat: Westsail 32
The Monitor is a great wind vane. Mine has worked great and every one I've used has been great. Cape Horns are also great, and work as well. Get whatever you can afford. $4.5k for a Monitor, 3.5K for a CH. Learn to use it and it'll sail you.

That said, I'm selling my Monitor. It works flawlessly and I'm only asking $2700 (and that's slightly negotiable). You'll probably spend $300 modifying for installation, but it works great on my boat. Tech support from Monitor has been great for me - when I bought the boat, It was installed poorly. After correctly running control lines, it's sensitive and sails the boat all the time.

Windvane

W32 #482 Asia Marie

blahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 11:46   #19

Cape Horn Worked for me.

I had the opportunity to test the Cape Horn on an Alberg 30 from Boston to Spain to Bermuda to Charleston. It worked like a charm without incident. I've sailed with Monitors and they are good vanes, but the design and simplicity of the Cape Horn is what made me go this route. Yves and company have been great to me. I'm refurbing a "new" Alberg 37 and will put a Cape Horn on it too...I like the idea of very little "plumbing" off the stern rail.
Blackdove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 01:34   #20

Boat: Stringer 915 PS
@ little boat:
From what I read in your description I think that the rod that had snapped is the pushrod that links the movement of the windvane to the vertical rotation of the pendulum rudder. If this is repaired it is very likely that it becomes heavier, especially if it has been welded.

A change in weight of the pushrod requires rebalancing of the windvane. If this is not done, the pushrod wants to go down, and the pendulum rudder swings to one side which is always the same.

You probably have been able to set the course correctly and stable for a short while but always ending up with the pendulum swinging up and the boat going of course.

If the windvane is a delicate one, it need delicate balancing...

Hope this helps.
Sven Heesterman

Sven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:10   #21

Boat: Tayana 37
Quote:
It was useful to rule out the Hydrovane. I wish understood Hydrovane's market.
Why did you rule out the Hydovane? It could be used as an emergency rudder which my husband says is really imprtant
Cyndimarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:06   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
I just picked up a old Sailomat 3040, which should arrive next week. The price was too good to pass up, even buying from pictures alone. Hopefully it will turn out to be a good purchase.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 17:07   #23

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namoian View Post
We have installed a Cape Horn system on our new aluminum Dix 43. I was attracted to this product because it could be integrated into the transom design, thus resulting in a elegant looking solution for our centre cockpit boat. Spectra control lines are lead through conduit in the boat from the Cape Horn quadrant and the boat's tiller in the lazarette (we have Jefa solid link steering) to cam cleats in the cockpit near the companion way.

It really looks like it is part of the boat and not an after thought however, I will have to defer commenting on how effective it is as our boat is still a month away from launching.
Namoian,
Do you have anything to report yet?
I'd be very interested to hear.

Best regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 14:24   #24

Cape Horn Rave

I have a Cape Horn on my Pacific Seacraft 27 Orion, very high quality unit and I am very pleased with the unit. The oar bunge was too loose as delivered but no big deal.
I had just completed a major refit, the old saw measure twice cut once.... well I drilled the hole about 1 inch too low for the oar to park along side the tower as designed. I made the very embarassing call to Cape Horn and Yeves was a perfect gentleman, didn't even laugh!! He did send me a new tube to bond into the transom after I repaired the misplaced hole. Very good guys, good service and good product.

Jay
Jay Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 15:58   #25

Boat: Seafarer 30 Impetuous
MV (or others) - I, as well, would like to know why it is easy to rule out the Hydrovane. We are only coastal cruisers, so a windvane is not needed right now. A few years down the road though, one may suit our needs better, if we decide to go farther.

I would like to learn as much as possible, about the choices out there.

I have watched the hydrovane video, and thought it looked well built, and liked the separate rudder and lack of control lines in the cockpit.
Northeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2010, 16:52   #26

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
We've got a centre-cockpit 40-footer in Australia. I fancy having a vane, but will need the auxiliary rudder type, as the control lines would be too long to the pedestal otherwise and would provide trip-points as well. I like the monitor and maybe the Fleming, but the cost rules them out for the time being. Anybody got a used auxiliary rudder type in the shed?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:18   #27

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Have a look at windpilot from Germany I have sailed more miles with one of these than any other make and thay realy are very good I would go for the servo pendilum not the one with the seerate rudder but the choise is realy up to you they are very well made and do the job perfectly.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 15:21   #28

Boat: westsail32 intrepid
get a hold of monitor and your troubles will vanish they respond really quickly and are very pleasant to deal with
ken52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
self steering, windvane