Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2014, 15:27   #61

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Modern rain gear sucks

barnakiel- what is the vintage of your failed HanWags?

I purchased my duBarrys while in Ireland in 1997, and as I wrote the outsole materials have changed since then (at least 6 or 7 years ago, possibly 10 or more years).

I am suspicious that the problems were widespread, and swept under the carpet. Rather like the widespread seam failures in Zodiacs 20 years ago (when they gave up trying to honor warranties, were the recipient of a class action lawsuit, and had to settle). No lawsuits for boots I guess...

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 04:21   #62

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
barnakiel- what is the vintage of your failed HanWags?

I purchased my duBarrys while in Ireland in 1997, and as I wrote the outsole materials have changed since then (at least 6 or 7 years ago, possibly 10 or more years).

(...)
We lost them in 2006 and purchased them around 1996 or thereabout.

The worst was the mode of failure - sudden and complete. I am 100% positive the foam material was defective choice or production.

No response from the maker, when equipment is of this apparent class and actual cost leaves nothing to comment.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 12:38   #63

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
We lost them in 2006 and purchased them around 1996 or thereabout.
So they were made at the same time as my duBarrys. I suspect the foam was used only for a few years and then dumped when the problems showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
No response from the maker, when equipment is of this apparent class and actual cost leaves nothing to comment.
Agreed. Considering the high price for the duBarrys I think it is reasonable to expect to be able to wear them out, not have them die due to material failure. In my case it was not just the foam failure but also the hardening of the wear surface that ended their useful lives. Synthetic rubber usually does harden with age - I have had to resole some Topsiders for that reason - but not in less than 10 years and not unrepairable. I made a point of only wearing the boots when needed on the boat underway, in order to eke the most use out of them, so it is a little hard to take.

BTW the foam in mine died while in the locker for 4 years in Turkey. When I pulled them out the foam was breaking up and making a mess. The problem started in the thick area of the heel, which I repaired with Sikaflex. As soon as I started to use them the rest of the foam fell apart so I finished the job with a different color of Sikaflex that I was using at the time. It was not very pretty, but served the purpose until I realized how slippery the sole had become.

I would definitely buy Gore-Tex boots again; I'm not so sure about duBarry however.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 08:55   #64

Boat: Pearson 34-II

This has been a very good discussion. I have also experimented with many differing brands of weather gear">foul weather gear and have found unless one is willing to spend about $1000. they will usually be quickly disappointed with their purchases. And, many of the "top line" companies are more about style than substance. However, even the top of the line foul weather gear will not keep you completely dry or comfortable in a constant heavy rain over a period of several days. We have good foul weather gear, not the best ,and it works well with a good quality dodger and a robust autopilot/self steering gear. Good luck and dry sailing.
Old 27-10-2014, 14:56   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Modern rain gear sucks

Well I did the 303 high tech fabric guard thing last weekend, 2 gls worth, even did the cloth convertible top on the car.
Initial observations are that stuff would make a croker sack waterproof, really impressive stuff, My boat fabric is all old, I'm trying to get two more years out of it and start off cruising with new, it may make it.
Before the 303 it held water like a collander, now it's waterproof, wonder how long it lasts?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2014, 21:15   #66

Boat: Morgan 22

So, does anybody know if Gill makes custom sizes for those of us that can't shop off the rack? Does any foulie manufacturer? It's just so difficult to find "Jumbo-Petite". Anybody made their own?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
N1EYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 16:57   #67
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I doubt you'll find bespoke foulies from any manufacturer, although some may make a wider range of sizes than others.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 14:07   #68

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A brief comment about neoprene inner cuffs. IME, they stay good about 5 yrs, then self shred, and leave little bits all over wherever you go wearing the jacket. Haven't figured out a way around it yet. You could remove them and sew in a cuff, either with elastic for tight or velcro.

Looking outside the yachting industry will be great. If you want reflective and the garment does not have it, (it's nice at night to see your partner's still on the boat), you can apply it yourselves.

For me, the "fashion" statements are utterly irrelevant.

Ann
Old 02-11-2014, 14:31   #69
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I find adding reflective tape to be either hard or messy. The good flexible stuff, SOLAS type or a similar coated material, can't be sewn on because then you'd lose the waterproof integrity of the garment. Can't use the iron-on type since that could melt any waterproof membrane, etc. in the garment. Which leaves the stick-on, and because that's never as flexible as the garment, I found the only way to get it permanently stuck on is by "discretely" adding a bead of Aquaflex or other adhesive around the edges.

Between the mess and the simple cost of the materials, I'd rather buy with them on, or leave them off. My GoreTex doesn't have reflective material, but the PFD does, so I accept that as a compromise.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear